DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Under Which Category Do I Register?

Priest

Reactions
I’ve been away from the drone community for several months. The last I heard, hobbyists did not have to register. Now I see that has changed as of December 2017. I looked at the FAA website today but was a little confused as to which way and under which category I need to register.

- I own 2 drones (MA, Phantom 4 Pro)
- It’s been just a hobby, however I plan on studying and getting a Part 107 license to do some commercial work in the near future.
- I travel extensively overseas and will be flying drones abroad.

I mention this last part because the registration website says to register by paper and get an N-Number if:
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States.
Am I misunderstanding that last part? It seems I should register under Part 107 but do I need to register by paper and receive an N-number instead? Also, since Part 107 requires registration of each drone, is there a way to de-register one should I sell or destroy it?

Thanks!

I’ve been away from the drone community for several months. The last I heard, hobbyists did not have to register. Now I see that has changed as of December 2017. I looked at the FAA website today but was a little confused as to which way and under which category I need to register.

- I own 2 drones (MA, Phantom 4 Pro)
- It’s been just a hobby, however I plan on studying and getting a Part 107 license to do some commercial work in the near future.
- I travel extensively overseas and will be flying drones abroad.

I mention this last part because the registration website says to register by paper and get an N-Number if:
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States.
Am I misunderstanding that last part? It seems I should register under Part 107 but do I need to register by paper and receive an N-number instead? Also, since Part 107 requires registration of each drone, is there a way to de-register one should I sell or destroy it?

Thanks!
It appears countries outside the US require your drone to have an N number. Per the FAA you need to use the standard paper registration form. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC_8050-1_5-2017.pdf

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman