DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Understanding shutter speed

Ivanpeppel122

Reactions
To my understanding typically you want to the follow the 180 degree rule, shutter speed should be set to a speed that is twice the frame rate. So if I'm filming in 4K at 30fps I would want my shutter speed to be at 1/60th. My question is what if my video then becomes underexposed? I also understand typically you want to keep the ISO as low as possible. So in this particular case would I increase ISO? Sorry for the beginner question, I'm new to all of this but trying to understand.

If it's daytime underexposure probably won't be an issue. In fact, it'll be overexposure, which is why people use ND filters to knock the exposure down.

Reactions: Ripper7620
If it's daytime underexposure probably won't be an issue. In fact, it'll be overexposure, which is why people use ND filters to knock the exposure down.
So basically even if it looks dark through the DJI go app when I go to view it it'll be exposed? I knocked up the shutter to 1/240 because of underexposure due to the view I got when viewing live from the DJI go app. So what I should have done was left it at 1/60th even if it looks dark in the DJI go app, if I was recording in 4K 30fps, correct?

What does the EV meter in the DJI Go 4 app read? You usually want it to be as close to zero as possible.

Set the ISO to 100. Set the shutter speed to 1/60th. And use ND filters to bring the EV close to zero.

Reactions: Ripper7620
So basically even if it looks dark through the DJI go app when I go to view it it'll be exposed? I knocked up the shutter to 1/240 because of underexposure due to the view I got when viewing live from the DJI go app. So what I should have done was left it at 1/60th even if it looks dark in the DJI go app, if I was recording in 4K 30fps, correct?

No, not correct. And if you went from 1/60 to 1/240 it would be underexposed even more. 1/240 is a faster shutter speed than 1/60, letting in a quarter as much light.

You might not want to worry about the 180 rule until you learn the basics of exposure.

I agree about checking your exposure compensation and make sure it’s set to 0.0.

Last edited:
In camera settings, under the gear gear icon, there's an overexposure warning you can turn on that shows zebra stripes on everything overexposed.

No, not correct. And if you went from 1/60 to 1/240 it would be underexposed even more. 1/240 is a slower shutter speed than 1/60, letting in a quarter as much light.

You are correct except for saying 1/240 is slower than 1/60.
1/240 is of course FASTER but the net effect is as you described.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
You are correct except for saying 1/240 is slower than 1/60.
1/240 is of course FASTER but the net effect is as you described.

You’re right. In my delirium at 2 a.m. I wrote the exact opposite of what I meant. I’ve edited my post to correct it.

Learn to use the histogram and do not judge the quality of the shot by what you see on Go 4.
This is solid advice. This and the zebra strips have helped immensely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga