DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Undisclosed "Feature" added to Fly Version 1.1.8

Pappy

Reactions
(This came to my attention on the DJI forums)

With release of Fly version 1.1.8 a new privacy option was added. It's labeled as "Local Data Mode". When switched on ALL internet traffic for the Fly app is cut off. This means things like flight records sync and the map will be unavailable.

DroneDJ has an article about why this feature will be added in a future release of the Fly and GO 4 apps, but it's here now with the 1.1.8 release. - DJI announces new data security measures following review - DroneDJ

When you attempt to enable "Local Data Mode" this message pops up:
Notes: 1. All network data transmission is disabled in this mode/n2. The following functions are unavailable: updating aircraft firmware, updating and activating the flight security database, synchronizing flight data, updating flight security data in real-time, and accessing web pages and third-party services, including maps, etc. Fly with caution

1600252836965.png

This message pops up after enabling Local Data Mode
1600252874290.png
1600252896731.png

Many of us have been asking (some demanding) this feature for a LONG time. "Local Data Mode" has been discussed fairly often on the internet for a while now maybe not on MP forum but others have been talking about it deeply for a while.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Many of us have been asking (some demanding) this feature for a LONG time. "Local Data Mode" has been discussed fairly often on the internet for a while now maybe not on MP forum but others have been talking about it deeply for a while.

I'm curious to know why you think this is so important? Outside of use by the military and security services, what data is so private that it's worth losing functionality in the app to protect? We all give away so much more information about ourselves on a daily basis when we use the Internet.

I'm curious to know why you think this is so important? Outside of use by the military and security services, what data is so private that it's worth losing functionality in the app to protect? We all give away so much more information about ourselves on a daily basis when we use the Internet.

Some of us use DJI products for things other than just fun & hobby.

My background is in Cyber Security so I'm well aware of what we "give away" but some of my clients require more intense security measures. While I understand it may not be of importance to you, please understand it's of UTMOST importance to many of us on the commercial side of this industry.

Some of us use DJI products for things other than just fun & hobby.

My background is in Cyber Security so I'm well aware of what we "give away" but some of my clients require more intense security measures. While I understand it may not be of importance to you, please understand it's of UTMOST importance to many of us on the commercial side of this industry.

Now it makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining.

How is this any different from using Airplane mode?

Airplane mode disables data for every app on your phone, you won't get calls/texts/etc. This setting is just limited to the DJI app.

They just remain local on the phone/tablet the Fly app is installed on. This is the main reason for implementing this option, to prevent uploading of data to DJI's servers.
Reading about the sync mode, and DAT files being deleted in that mode, will it be easier to find and download those .DAT flight files?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000