DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexpected encounter with 2 helicopters

Chips

Reactions
I was flying at 450 metres in an area which is not restricted and there are normally no aircraft although some police or military helicopters will pass by once in a while . While I was taking pictures, I heard the sound of helicopters coming up behind me and turned around to look. Saw two military choppers approaching although they were not actually on a direct course to where my drone was. Rather than manoeuvre left or right, I decided that the best move would be to descend as quickly as possible since the choppers are unlikely to go lower. They passed by at some distance and continued off.

I must say again that this is rare and so I wasn't breaking any law. But expecting such a thing to happen and descending would seen the safest thing to do. If the pilot does see the drone, at least an indication of a clear vertical descent would allow him to decide what he wants to do. Wandering around thinking you can avoid the chopper would be bad, just as a pedestrian who crosses the road and then moves back and forth in panic makes it harder for a driver to decide which side to go.

Actually, dropping quickly is counter to what I conditioned myself to do when my early months of experience saw me losing a drone when I was disorientated and didn't know where it was in the sky (had not learnt to use the map then). It had been blown away from where I thought it was and in a panic, my first instinct was to bring it down. That was a mistake as it was actually over a jungle and before I could do anything, it had already dropped into a mass of branches on tall trees. It's still there and actually near my house but I can't retrieve it. I should have sent it higher and hovered till I calmed down and figured out where it was.

Do you not have the <400 ft rule in your country ?
No, we don't have height restrictions [yet] and registration of recreational drones up to Inspire size is not required. When you set a very high altitude limit, the DJI app will show a notice which basically says that you accept liability for the action.

Btw, I am in Malaysia too.

Lucky you ! :) I think descent is probably the right thing to do, as long as you are relatively sure that the copters are above you, which can be hard to tell when they are further off. Did you feel you had a clear idea of their height compared to you ?

I've only ever had to deal with one helicopter at a time, so it has been easy to descend and move fast 90 degrees away from its trajectory.

Lucky you ! :) I think descent is probably the right thing to do, as long as you are relatively sure that the copters are above you, which can be hard to tell when they are further off. Did you feel you had a clear idea of their height compared to you ?

I've only ever had to deal with one helicopter at a time, so it has been easy to descend and move fast 90 degrees away from its trajectory.

I only heard them coming and expected that they would not be as low as my drone. I am not good at judging heights!
A police chopper might have flown lower if it was looking at a specific area but I have seen the military choppers flying around and they are usually just on their way somewhere else.

My home is under some commercial airways but fortunately not along the approach path to a major airport. I have friends who live in an area that is below the landing path so they can't fly.

Do you not have the <400 ft rule in your country ?
even if they were, helicopters don't have to follow the 500ft rule. this is why ****** going for 'range records' beyond line of site are so dangerous.

be safe
/max

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AeroJ
Pretty broad statement to be throwing out there that people going for range records are idiots.
Not something I have ever attempted and probably never will, but that doesn’t make me a better person than someone who does.
It seems that this forum is degrading at an exponential rate these days.
It’s getting very tiring reading the opinions of middle aged men who think they know it all. Can you imagine being in a room with half of these guys....

Again, an uneducated title to be applying to everyone. I will admit that many here are flouting local laws, but that does NOT make everyone that flies BVLOS a criminal.
I am surprised that you visit these forums when your opinion of others here are so low

Can anyone give me an example of when a BVLoS flight is safe ?
Certainly.
Farmers using RPAS to check water troughs or fencing on a property,
Search and rescue operations in remote area
Research and development by universities and companies. 2 places where I have flown BVLOS in Australia, with full CASA approvals are Kingaroy - designated area in Queensland, and Woomera.
Surveying
Scientific research (researchers have been using them in Australia to track and observe whales)
Photography - remote area
Inspections
Mining companies

All of the above can get CASA approval to operate in Australia. I’m sure there are more examples but I have well and truely answered your question. Now, what’s your point?

Certainly.
All of the above can get CASA approval to operate in Australia. I’m sure there are more examples but I have well and truly answered your question. Now, what’s your point?

Sorry, I meant for a recreational pilot without any of those permissions...

That’s the problem with some of the general comments tagging everyone as a criminal, many here are in fact licensed.
Also, farmers here, can fly BVLOS on their own land under certain situations with no licensing required...
Also (and I may be wrong here) yahties that are a certain distance from shore, are not held to CASA laws.
So there are 2 examples of recreational fliers permitted to fly BVLOS
You are also asking when BVLOS would be safe. Or did you mean to ask when it would be legal?

Might be easier to just come out and state your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgPhotoWings
even if they were, helicopters don't have to follow the 500ft rule. this is why ****** going for 'range records' beyond line of site are so dangerous.

be safe
/max
I have seen large military choppers flying @ 50ft on our cattle stud ,Qld Australia. I could show you footage, "but I don't want to rock the boat"The Mavic seems to go up awfully fast , but awfully slow to descend......maybe the safest thing would be , If you are not sure....stay where you are...........a big sky, you would have to be very unlucky to be hit......an Eagle maybe ? maybe all this hysteria is only festering the the all to prevalent Paranoia .

Last edited:
Yesterday, about an hour after I flew my M2P on my rural property, a helicopter flew at around 250-300 ft altitude about 200 ft from my home point. It appeared to be following over the power lines beside the road so was likely checking them for problems.
Not even close because of the timeline but very well could have been.
Gotta be vigilant. Always.

I still don’t believe that the tag “criminal” should apply to all trying to set range records.
This is not something I have done, or even condone, but I get mighty annoyed at some of the self righteous on this forum.

It’s getting very tiring reading the opinions of middle aged men who think they know it all. Can you imagine being in a room with half of these guys....
Hey...I resemble that remark! In life, I've made it all the way to the middle and hope to last a bit longer, but I base what I know on experiences I've had and the experiences of others. Hopefully none of that voids my opinions!

Hey...I resemble that remark! In life, I've made it all the way to the middle and hope to last a bit longer, but I base what I know on experiences I've had and the experiences of others. Hopefully none of that voids my opinions!
I agree with you and apologise if you are offended you.
I was referring to a certain group that like to always put their point of view across as gospel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov