DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlock Blue Authorization Zone?

bcoles

Reactions
With a new Geo Zone update my home is now in a blue authorization zone. I tried to get authorization from Fly Safe got near the end where it offer me a choice of only mobile phone to get the authorization code. I do not owe a mobile phone. I was assuming I could get the code via my email. Is there a way to get a code without a mobile phone? If so how? Thanks. Bryan.

Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI tells you how to unlock authorization zones, either by cellphone or on their website. Curious what you fly with if you don't have a mobile phone? Maybe CrystalSky? I use a CS which can connect via WiFi when I'm near my house, but its a little bit of a juggle if I need to unlock and I'm not near WiFi. I basically have to tether the CrystalSky to my phone just to submit the authorization request, receive the text PIN on my mobile phone and enter it in. Then I can turn off the tethered WiFi.

Good news is DJI seems to be updating their GEO Zones to be more accurate. Before the total lockout I was in a warning zone, where I just had to acknowledge responsibility before I fly. Then an update came and I went from a warning zone to an authorization zone (I'm right on the edge). Today I updated my GEO Zones and I'm back in a warning zone up to 1625 AGL
which reflects my actual airspace.

Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI tells you how to unlock authorization zones, either by cellphone or on their website. Curious what you fly with if you don't have a mobile phone? Maybe CrystalSky? I use a CS which can connect via WiFi when I'm near my house, but its a little bit of a juggle if I need to unlock and I'm not near WiFi. I basically have to tether the CrystalSky to my phone just to submit the authorization request, receive the text PIN on my mobile phone and enter it in. Then I can turn off the tethered WiFi.

Good news is DJI seems to be updating their GEO Zones to be more accurate. Before the total lockout I was in a warning zone, where I just had to acknowledge responsibility before I fly. Then an update came and I went from a warning zone to an authorization zone (I'm right on the edge). Today I updated my GEO Zones and I'm back in a warning zone up to 1625 AGL
which reflects my actual airspace.
The Fly Safe page that you listed is the site I was at. I was able to get right to the part where you download the authorization code. My problem is the site only gives me one choice: mobile. No other option. I do not own a mobile device. I was hoping I could get the code sent to me via email. I doing this at home on my computer. I use an 2018 iPad 9.7 for my display. It's a cellular model but I only bought it for its built in GPS. My desire is to find a way to download the code without using a mobile device. I will check to see if my blue zone has been down graded to yellow which it previously was. Thanks for you help. Bryan.

The Fly Safe page that you listed is the site I was at. I was able to get right to the part where you download the authorization code. My problem is the site only gives me one choice: mobile. No other option. I do not own a mobile device. I was hoping I could get the code sent to me via email. I doing this at home on my computer. I use an 2018 iPad 9.7 for my display. It's a cellular model but I only bought it for its built in GPS. My desire is to find a way to download the code without using a mobile device. I will check to see if my blue zone has been down graded to yellow which it previously was. Thanks for you help. Bryan.
Hmmm. You may be in a bind. I hope I am wrong. I believe your mobile number is considered “credentials” in validating the request. It’s a little different for me because I have a mobile phone, but I still had to buy a small $10/mo data plan to tether my CrystalSky to to get clearance when I don’t have WiFi. I also use it to download maps if I’m in an area that I haven’t already cached them. You would need a data connection on the iPad in the same way if you go somewhere that you haven’t preloaded the maps.

The way things are becoming more and more regulated I think a mobile connection will become even more necessary.

You may want to email [email protected] and see if they have anything to say. Let us know if you do.

Steve

Hmmm. You may be in a bind. I hope I am wrong. I believe your mobile number is considered “credentials” in validating the request. It’s a little different for me because I have a mobile phone, but I still had to buy a small $10/mo data plan to tether my CrystalSky to to get clearance when I don’t have WiFi. I also use it to download maps if I’m in an area that I haven’t already cached them. You would need a data connection on the iPad in the same way if you go somewhere that you haven’t preloaded the maps.

The way things are becoming more and more regulated I think a mobile connection will become even more necessary.

You may want to email [email protected] and see if they have anything to say. Let us know if you do.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll email them and see what they say. I'll reply back. Here's hoping there is another way other than mobile.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks Steve, I'll email them and see what they say. I'll reply back. Here's hoping there is another way other than mobile.
Steve, I emailed DJI and they sent me an email suggesting I do custom unlock. This did require a bit more information-seems to to set up for professionals. At any rate I filled out the information including a PDF of my request. I was able to complete the form and got a reply saying they will process the information. Whether this will work- fingers crossed. Bryan.

Steve, I emailed DJI and they sent me an email suggesting I do custom unlock. This did require a bit more information-seems to to set up for professionals. At any rate I filled out the information including a PDF of my request. I was able to complete the form and got a reply saying they will process the information. Whether this will work- fingers crossed. Bryan.
Fingers crossed worked. Just got an email for DJI with a link to "unlock the flight restricted area." Will test tomorrow. Bryan.

Reactions: ff22
Fingers crossed worked. Just got an email for DJI with a link to "unlock the flight restricted area." Will test tomorrow. Bryan.
I wouldn't do it if you are in the USA.
Blue spaces are within controlled airspace.
Unless you are flying at an AMA club site, hobbyist flights are now restricted in controlled airspace since May 17th until the LAANC electronic request system comes online.

I'd check with Transport Canada before doing that. What are their rules for operating in "Controlled Airspace"?

I'd check with Transport Canada before doing that. What are their rules for operating in "Controlled Airspace"?
I'm outside the 5.6 km area from our small local airport which T.C. requires. So my understanding is that I'm not in a "Controlled Airspace". I am inside DJI newly added extended runway blue zone. I previously was in a yellow zone with a quick confirmed check mark to authorize my flight at home. I haven't yet flown the flight I requested for but hope to this afternoon. Bryan.

I'm outside the 5.6 km area from our small local airport which T.C. requires. So my understanding is that I'm not in a "Controlled Airspace". I am inside DJI newly added extended runway blue zone. I previously was in a yellow zone with a quick confirmed check mark to authorize my flight at home. I haven't yet flown the flight I requested for but hope to this afternoon. Bryan.
All went well this afternoon. Our daughter that lives in London, England and requested 360 Pano of our home. I bit of work now that we are in a blue authorization zone but I just followed the instructions emailed to me and my mission was accomplished. Here is the results. TEN Lake 360 Pano.
Bryan.

Reactions: BigAl07 and ff22
I only see one lake! (g) Very nice. Gorgeous day.

On Kuula, you can scale up the Tiny Planet image so that it fills most of the screen. When posting (and maybe even editing), there's a slider on the right side.

Reactions: bcoles
I only see one lake! (g) Very nice. Gorgeous day.

On Kuula, you can scale up the Tiny Planet image so that it fills most of the screen. When posting (and maybe even editing), there's a slider on the right side.
Yes, TEN Lake stands for Tuc-el-Nuit Lake. I will look for the slider next time to see if it helps adjust the view I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: ff22 and BigAl07
All went well this afternoon. Our daughter that lives in London, England and requested 360 Pano of our home. I bit of work now that we are in a blue authorization zone but I just followed the instructions emailed to me and my mission was accomplished. Here is the results. TEN Lake 360 Pano.
Bryan.

Great 360. Gorgeous place and weather looks PERFECT!

Is Kuula a paid service? I'm looking somewhere to host my 360's and didn't know about Kuula.

Great 360. Gorgeous place and weather looks PERFECT!

Is Kuula a paid service? I'm looking somewhere to host my 360's and didn't know about Kuula.
Kuula is FREE. I'm not sure what you get from the paid version. I've posted about a dozen 360's there.

Reactions: bcoles and BigAl07
Kuula is FREE. I'm not sure what you get from the paid version. I've posted about a dozen 360's there.

Thank you!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima