DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlock GEO Zone from App?

sweetback

Reactions
Is there any way to unlock a GEO Zone from the app instead of a website? I made the mistake of not unlocking before a short trip yesterday, only to find that I was in a restricted zone when I arrived. The only way I could find to unlock the zone was to remote back into my home computer through my phone which is awkward. It would be great if they would let us do this through the app, but I couldn't find any way to do it.

Part of my pre-flight process is checking the GEO Zone on the Flysafe page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

It takes just seconds, and saves you quite a bit of time. It's just another aspect of how we can help keep the skies safe. And odds are if you're in a restricted zone, you're also in controlled airspace. So you need to get FAA permission for that as well. You can do that via a LAANC provider or DroneZone.

As far as getting the unlock via app, that's not possible. But I've done it via wifi using the hotspot feature on my phone before. Not ideal, but it works. I carry my laptop with me when I'm working. And I check beforehand now anyway, so I'm never surprised anymore.

I run into this all the time. I just use Chrome mobile app and request desktop site. Sometimes, after signing in, I will need to select desktop again. Sometimes it is a little tricky getting the appropriate zone selected but I just keep tapping around in general vicinity until it "takes". But yes, remoting in to a desktop is another option.

Just remember that DJIs website is not that same as FAA authorization. In fact you are suppose to submit the FAA approval document to get the area unlocked but most don’t do that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661