DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unpleasant surprise when making a claim for fly-away coverage with DJI care plus

Unfortunately about a month back while flying my MA2 along a river in a heavily forested and mountainous area, I ended up losing my drone on the far side of the river. The best that I can gather is that it struck a power line coming out through the trees that I did not see. After a couple of hours of fruitless attempts to find it with the find-my-drone unsuccessfully, and on another visit spending a half day hiking through some steep forest to reach the other side, and cutting across some questionable property to reach the last reported location, I was still unsuccessful in finding it. It perhaps is stuck up in one of the large pine trees, fell into some deep brush, or who knows? What I do know is that when it first went missing it reported a gimbal error, one of the motors was unable to rotate, but it was still communicating with me. Unfortunately due to the loud noise of the river, I could not hear (or see) it when activating the flash-and-beep function with the find-my-drone capability.

So I filed a claim with DJI given the drone was covered by the DJI care+ package that I refreshed back in May. After waiting a week and not hearing from them, I sent an email and got back the following response:
And you mentioned $69 is DJI Care replacement fee. But your DJI Care expired, now DJI Care plus is valid. And you drone was lost, you can only use DJI Care plus to cover the flyaway to replace.

The normal replacement fee for DJI Care Plus is $59, the fee use DJI Care plus to cover the flyaway for replacement is $399.

DJI Care policy for Mavic air 2: Buy DJI Care Refresh (Mavic Air 2) - DJI Store
DJI Care Plus policy: https://terra-1-g.djicdn.com/851d20f7b9f64838a34cd02351370894/DJI Care Replacement Fee/Refresh Plus/210908/DJI Care Refresh Plus Replacement Fee.pdf

That is. Kindly pay it in time.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Yikes! $399 to replace the drone!
When I read the original description for the DJI Care Refresh Plus program, it wasn't obvious that this fee would be so high. Especially since I had used this the previous year to repair damage to my MA2 on a previous incident and only paid $69. The production description as given here (DJI Care Refresh Plus - Information - Support - DJI)
does not make it obvious:

DJI CARE REFRESH +​

With You Every Flight

DJI Care Refresh + offers you the chance to renew your Care Refresh by extending its coverage for one more year, providing one more opportunity to replace your damaged DJI product for a small additional charge. Furthermore, the warranty* period of your product will be extended by at least 12 months.

Going on ebay and craigslist, it would appear that paying $399 to replace my MA2 is just below the break-even point vs. just going out and buying a used one, or just using this as an opportunity to move on and upgrade to a different drone?
Why I use more caution and skip the extended warranties. I just got my Air 2 from Amazone (used) battery reported it was charged 3 times). The unit had some videos on it done by a older asian man and was WELL HANDLED. I paid around 550.00 delivered. I can easily afford a M3. But why? and if lost I'd be out 3k?
With the savings, I learned of the SKYDIO after getting the M2 and ordered one of those to arrivenext week.

Reactions: Droniac
Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if State Farm coverage is a regional issue, i.e., different policies for different regions of the country, or whether you have other insurance coverage with them. But like you, I’ve heard others say the same thing, that State Farm says they don’t cover drones.
Yes! It depends from state to state. For example, in CA, State Farm’s does not provide Drone Insurance but some have use the Personal Property Insurance that State Farms provides. The only issue is that for some, they’ve been shocked to see their premiums go up. Just do your research and go with what works best for you. Good luck!!

Reactions: Droniac
Go with a 3rd Party like State Farm Drone Insurance and you're covered all around with all the DJI hassles. Probably cheaper than DJI as well.

If anyone can get a 3rd party insurance, WHY would you get the more expensive and less covered DJI Refresh? Even if it did cost $25 or whatever more than DJI Refresh, that is well worth not dealing with DJI and all that. Simply call the provider, state you lost your drone, fill out a claim and get your money to buy a new one or whatever.
I just researched the Homeowners insurance coverage or additional add on coverages for items such as drones. Claims in most states (from many different sources) will be noted as a claim against your home and jack up your rates or bar you from home insurance for 2-5 years depending on the company. You could end up paying a lot more than the price of a drone using this method. Just my limited research but your experience may vary.

Reactions: Droniac and erkme73
I wonder if asurion is worth it. I have it for my phones but have never filled a claim. If I start using my tab S6 for flying I will use it on that.

I have owned 10 DJI drones in recent years. I have had Care Refresh/CR Plus on the last 7. I average 50 hours a week stick time. 10-20% of my weekly flights are what I would consider "high-risk", i.e., flying in close proximity to structural elements and/or over deep/swift water. Prior to this summer I had four crash replacements under CR, and one fly-away that was determined to be not my fault (free replacement after telemetry evaluation). Those first four events were all first-time claims under CR and I was very happy to have the coverage. The last event was terrifying as the drone suddenly flew full-speed to starboard (with no stick input) in an industrial park and ultimately crashed into a structure. That one took a while to get resolved but DJI eventually came through and replaced the aircraft at no charge.

Now, like the OP, I was not fully aware of the new CR-Plus policy. In August I was involved with a missing persons search and during a flight over an "area of interest" I caught a tree branch and crashed into a deep body of water. There was no practical hope of recovering the aircraft. Just like the OP, I was shocked when I got the estimate for the replacement. Luckily in this instance I was flying the Mini2 so the damage was about $225.00 if memory serves. That did include a new battery as well. Compare this to buying a new Mini2 then selling the surplus controller and you see it's a reasonably good deal.

Bottom line: I think DJI needs to do a better job explaining the benefits and their associated costs for Care Refresh Plus.

I keep seeing people mention State Farm drone insurance but when I call the local State Farm agent they tell me State Farm does not sell drone insurance.

Mike
I have a rider on my home policy for off premises theft or loss. Roughly 140$/yr for 20,000 coverage. I figure that should just about cover it. 😳. I Rattled my brain over this issue, as others, for a year. I did a search 🔍 n thee we forum at the time and this issue has been “touched on” like beating a dead horse. (Never liked that saying). That’s with having Tracki, etc.
Bestbuy/geek and their new comprehensive coverage policy. Walmart w/cooperative direct to DJI, DJI itself, Statefarm who by history gives you one free ride then not unlike being in the good hands of Allstate, drop you like a battery dislodged drone and the Gambino crime family but nothing in writing. I decided to travel with travelers. That’s my story … and I’m stickin with it. I won’t say I take more risks but I fly with more enjoyment.
Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: Retired13374
During my research there was consistencies and then a drone load of variables, subjective inconsistencies. I felt that I’d be betting on the results of a coin flip. “Always consider the variables”. With insurance I need to KNOW that I’m insuring will be replaced with no or few questions asked. These company’s wet their beaks plenty. They won’t get hurt replacing my drone. Nor cashing my checks for other insurance I carry through them. Nor replacing my drones and Ping golf clubs if that be the case. That’s my take.

Just keep in mind that if you file a claim for a PAP loss, it will count against your risk profile for homeowners policy renewals. You may find that you no qualify for lowest rates after the claim. Just something to consider. There's no such thing as a free lunch ...
I’m insured by my insurance carrier as I stated on earlier post. I havnt made a claim yet. I’m not going to feel threatened of what risk I am “tagged” after them potentially only paying out 2k. Dumping me with my other insurance policies wouldn’t be wise business. Imo.

Why I use more caution and skip the extended warranties. I just got my Air 2 from Amazone (used) battery reported it was charged 3 times). The unit had some videos on it done by a older asian man and was WELL HANDLED. I paid around 550.00 delivered. I can easily afford a M3. But why? and if lost I'd be out 3k?
With the savings, I learned of the SKYDIO after getting the M2 and ordered one of those to arrivenext week.
Grats. Great skydio sale 👍🏻

It is actually just a personal articles policy. But some agents don’t know exactly how to underwrite these, so you may need to search around. I have a local agent here that is well known for writing these, found him on a list of State Farm agents handling drones.

Mike Yates​

More about Mike Yates
166 Allendale Road
King of Prussia, PA 19406
(610) 354-0945

I’ll have to tell you, it is well worth it and much better than having to deal with DJI. I had a drone get stuck in a 100’ tall tree, called State Farm and had the full replacement cost of the drone in my back account within a few days.
How much was your deductible?

I have not ploughed through all the posts in this thread so excuse me if the matter is clarified earlier but my belief is that under care refresh there is no fly away cover and that the drone must be retrieved and returned to use care refresh.
Fly away cover (for pilot error etc.) is a new thing, introduced fairly recently and its prices were made clear and quite expensive and is only available for a few recent models.
Prior to the fly away policy coming out DJI only replaced a lost drone if the logs showed the flyaway etc. was due to equipment failure, am I mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing people mention State Farm drone insurance but when I call the local State Farm agent they tell me State Farm does not sell drone insurance.

Mike
You have to ask for personal property insurance. It's usually up to 2000 dollars with no deductable if anything you own is stolen or lost ie a drone loss.

I have not ploughed through all the posts in this thread so excuse me if the matter is clarified earlier but my belief is that under care refresh there is no fly away cover and that the drone must be retrieved and returned to use care refresh.
Fly away cover (for pilot error etc.) is a new thing, introduced fairly recently and its prices were made clear and quite expensive and is only available for a few recent models.
Prior to the fly away policy coming out DJI only replaced a lost drone if the logs showed the flyaway etc. was due to equipment failure, am I mistaken?
That was true at the time of my original purchase. But DJI offers you a DJI care refresh a year later when the original DJI care package is about to expire. The refresh includes fly-away coverage, and they did cover my loss in this case.

I just took out a renters insurance policy with my insurer State farm, it covers 20k worth of.personal items and theft of the drone ( or whatever else) and provides 300K liability insurance no matter where you are. For a mere 10 dollars a month it was a no brainer for me. Not only that it gave me a multi policy discount on my auto of 5 percent so it pays for itself. So with DJI refresh plus for two years I feel pretty good 👍

Cheers!

Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if State Farm coverage is a regional issue, i.e., different policies for different regions of the country, or whether you have other insurance coverage with them. But like you, I’ve heard others say the same thing, that State Farm says they don’t cover drones.
I have had lots of State Farm insurance over many years, but my agent in California and my agent in Idaho both tell me that State Farm drone insurance isn’t available in those locations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50