DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unprocessed MP4

Bill Steen

Reactions
First off I'm a new member who has just received a Mavic Air. I've followed all the DJI training videos plus various YouTube videos. I had a "beginner drone" before I received the Mavic Air.

I’ve flown the Mavic Air and taken some video footage. The MP4 footage that was stored on a SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB V30 A1 Micro SD card seems disjointed and appears as if there is interference when you open it directly [once saved to a computer]. However, once I process the video through a video editor the footage is perfect. Is this normal that the “raw” MP4 needs processing before you get a quality image?

First off I'm a new member who has just received a Mavic Air. I've followed all the DJI training videos plus various YouTube videos. I had a "beginner drone" before I received the Mavic Air.

I’ve flown the Mavic Air and taken some video footage. The MP4 footage that was stored on a SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB V30 A1 Micro SD card seems disjointed and appears as if there is interference when you open it directly [once saved to a computer]. However, once I process the video through a video editor the footage is perfect. Is this normal that the “raw” MP4 needs processing before you get a quality image?
It all comes to your hardware capability, try shooting on lower resolution if the problem is still there check another sd card

It’s possible that your computer can’t cope with the throughput of the raw file because of the amount of data. After processing the file dimensions may be smaller and hence the throughput more manageable.
Thanks, I thought it might have to do with the computer. The final video output is good.

There are a couple of 'standards' associated with SD cards that may be relevant here ...
UHS_speeds_large.png
Write to = determined by ... UHS Speed Class
Read from = determined by ... UHS Bus Speed
First thing is the 'UHS Speed Class' that's shown by the U3 symbol on the cards above. That signifies the card is capable of a sustained write speed that will support video recording in HD formats. As a general rule, only use U3 rated cards, as U1 cards will introduce dropped frames and interference when recording in HD.
I think what you are seeing may be due to the read speed of the card (i.e. taking data off it to present to your PC). Cards rated 'XCI' are running UHS Bus speeds of 50MB/s (Bytes - not bits), while 'XCII' cards will transfer data at 156 MB/s ...
You can also improve the 'read' speed off the SD card by using USB 3.0 connectors and card readers. The old standard USB 2.0 transfers data at 60 MB/s - so can't really help if you do use an XCII card - but USB 3.0 data speed is 10x that at 640 MB/s ... USB 3.0 connectors are identified by the blue tongue in the connector plug/socket. If you use a PC and don't have USB 3.0 sockets, you can add them using a PCIe expansion card.
So - best performance would be to use a U3 rated card for recording, and for that same card to be XCII rated for reading data back from it. The SD card should be fitted into a USB 3.0 card reader, and plugged into a USB 3.0 USB socket on your computer.

Reactions: dawgpilot
There are a couple of 'standards' associated with SD cards that may be relevant here ...
View attachment 57097
Write to = determined by ... UHS Speed Class
Read from = determined by ... UHS Bus Speed
First thing is the 'UHS Speed Class' that's shown by the U3 symbol on the cards above. That signifies the card is capable of a sustained write speed that will support video recording in HD formats. As a general rule, only use U3 rated cards, as U1 cards will introduce dropped frames and interference when recording in HD.
I think what you are seeing may be due to the read speed of the card (i.e. taking data off it to present to your PC). Cards rated 'XCI' are running UHS Bus speeds of 50MB/s (Bytes - not bits), while 'XCII' cards will transfer data at 156 MB/s ...
You can also improve the 'read' speed off the SD card by using USB 3.0 connectors and card readers. The old standard USB 2.0 transfers data at 60 MB/s - so can't really help if you do use an XCII card - but USB 3.0 data speed is 10x that at 640 MB/s ... USB 3.0 connectors are identified by the blue tongue in the connector plug/socket. If you use a PC and don't have USB 3.0 sockets, you can add them using a PCIe expansion card.
So - best performance would be to use a U3 rated card for recording, and for that same card to be XCII rated for reading data back from it. The SD card should be fitted into a USB 3.0 card reader, and plugged into a USB 3.0 USB socket on your computer.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm using the U3 card but I think it might be the computer I'm using to download the video file. I have a much newer computer that I purchased to edit video so next time I'll use that one. Thanks again, cheers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique