DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update DJI Fly from vs. 1.2.1 on Android Phone???

jclarkw

Reactions
Seems that some folks here have been able to do this, but I can't figure out how: I have been running DJY Fly 1.2.1 on my LG G6 Android (8.0.0) phone for 6 months. (I assume I downloaded it from the Google Play Store initially, but I don't remember.) I did just verify that the G6 is still compatible with the latest version, but now the Play Store doesn't list the app for installation. I don't see any update button in the Fly app itself. I do see a download (to my laptop) available at DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI, but I don't know what to do with an .APK file. Can somebody please explain the update procedure? -- jclarkw

Seems that some folks here have been able to do this, but I can't figure out how: I have been running DJY Fly 1.2.1 on my LG G6 Android (8.0.0) phone for 6 months. (I assume I downloaded it from the Google Play Store initially, but I don't remember.) I did just verify that the G6 is still compatible with the latest version, but now the Play Store doesn't list the app for installation. I don't see any update button in the Fly app itself. I do see a download (to my laptop) available at DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI, but I don't know what to do with an .APK file. Can somebody please explain the update procedure? -- jclarkw
Uninstall the old version, download the APK from the DJI site and install it. Just clicking on the file from within whatever file manager you use should install, but first you'll probably have to allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

Reactions: jclarkw
DJI went away from Google Store and has all Android APK's in their download site - which requires you to be logged into your DJI Account to get them almost seamlessly. I say almost, as some downloads have not shown being able to update from DJI - at least on my tablet. That's when I saw folks here posting about the update, so I went directly to DJI.com and downloaded / installed that file. Now the download seems to be working again as it did before with a notification first.

I hope that I't OK to add a follow on question to this.

I've been running Fly App 1.2.1 on my Samsung Note 8, and it runs without problems.
DJI downloads shows 1.4.8 available, and I realize that I would have to use the APK to load it.

Before I make the leap, I'd like opinions on whether 1.4.8 is stable for the MA 2 ?
At 77 years old, I don't need the extra stress.

Thank you in advance.

I hope that I't OK to add a follow on question to this.

I've been running Fly App 1.2.1 on my Samsung Note 8, and it runs without problems.
DJI downloads shows 1.4.8 available, and I realize that I would have to use the APK to load it.

Before I make the leap, I'd like opinions on whether 1.4.8 is stable for the MA 2 ?
At 77 years old, I don't need the extra stress.

Thank you in advance.
I had some problems with it at first, but I did a totally clean reinstall and so far so good.

I had some problems with it at first, but I did a totally clean reinstall and so far so good.
I spoke too soon. I had the day off from work today and just a while ago decided to have a little flight with the drone. As I was bringing it back for a landing in a place that I've used many times and in which there isn't much interference, I inexplicably lost RC connection when the drone was clearly in sight about 200 feet away. I re-rolled back to an earlier Fly version and I'm staying there for a while.

Please let me know how to find and revert to the prior DJ Fly app. for the MA2 Air. TIA

Please let me know how to find and revert to the prior DJ Fly app. for the MA2 Air. TIA
James -- Beware this APKMirror site! It tries very hard to trick you into installing their own "Wave" browser, but if you pay close attention to all the choices, you can avoid it. -- jcalrkw

Thank you, gentlemen. I D/L the APK from the DJI site. D/L and install = no problem. Using the app is another story. I get white stripes on the screen at different random locations. Sometimes no stripes. I am going to do two more flights and if this persists I will go back to the last old version that worked which I believe was 1.2.2. I try to never use a mirror site. Learned this a long time ago.

I get white stripes on the screen at different random locations. Sometimes no stripes.

There's a setting in the app that is a " overexposure warning".

When this is switched ON, overexposed areas of the image will display black and white zebra stripes.

Perhaps this is what you are experiencing. ?

That makes sense. The areas striped were bright and may have been overexposed. I'll look at that first before deleting the current app and re-installing the latest one. Thank you.

MA2 317, Thank you for the info. I turned off the overexposure setting. No more stripes on the screen. Using the most current DJI Fly app. and didn't have to revert to an older version.

Reactions: MA2 317
MA2 317, Thank you for the info. I turned off the overexposure setting. No more stripes on the screen. Using the most current DJI Fly app. and didn't have to revert to an older version.
Old Dog -- I just got tripped up by another gotcha in the new DJI Fly version that might be relevant to your stripe problem: There is now a button in the lower-right corner of the screen that shows either "Auto" or "Pro." (This might have been there for a while, but I never noticed it before.) I must have accidentally touched this button while recording video because suddenly I got the stripes across the ENTIRE screen. (I do have the overexposure warning turned on because I find it useful.)

It eventually turned out that I had put the app into "Pro" mode, and the manual exposure settings that happened to be there were such that EVERYTHING was over exposed. Simply touching the button again returned to "Auto" mode, and all was normal again.

Bottom line, the overexposure warning that you saw might have been telling you something valuable... -- jclarkw

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun