DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

update firmware

Derek Elliott

Reactions
hopefully i will receive my new mavic tomorrow it is coming from the US ordered thro drones for less
my questions is should i update the firmware there always seems to be a issue with updating reading a lot of threads on this subject question are ask about how to roll back to the previous firmware
I assume out of the box i will be asked to update the firmware is there a difference between US and British firmware
any thoughts on this matter??

I have had my Mavic since November and have always taken the updates as they came out and have never had any issues at all.

One thing i always do is take my drone out to the same spot and fly it away and hit RTH and confirm that works then i fly it away a few hundred feet and turn off my RC to confirm the drone has not lost it ability to RTH.

I have had my Mavic since November and have always taken the updates as they came out and have never had any issues at all.

One thing i always do is take my drone out to the same spot and fly it away and hit RTH and confirm that works then i fly it away a few hundred feet and turn off my RC to confirm the drone has not lost it ability to RTH.

Turn off the remote during flight??? Pretty sure that's a terrible idea.

Turn off the remote during flight??? Pretty sure that's a terrible idea.

The drone is designed to operate in a certain way when it looses connection to the RC if you have never tested this then you should .... have you any idea what your drone will do when it looses connection to the RC ??

That's one way to find out for sure if it will come home,if the signal is lost! I'm not that brave yet!:D

Then try it .... just go to an open area to try it :)

This is my RTH test with the RC still on .... i always repeat this after an update.

The LAST thing i want to do is find out just when i need it that the RTH does not work.

The drone is designed to operate in a certain way when it looses connection to the RC if you have never tested this then you should .... have you any idea what your drone will do when it looses connection to the RC ??

I have 101 skydives, I have yet to test the aad. It's a device that fires he reserve at 800' if I'm still doing over 80mph. If I ever need it it's great to have it as a last resort.

I see the Rth as a last resort. My opinion.

I have 101 skydives, I have yet to test the aad. It's a device that fires he reserve at 800' if I'm still doing over 80mph. If I ever need it it's great to have it as a last resort...
Have you ever left it on during the drive home? :eek:

Based on over 25 years of flying RC, I believe this is very bad advice. I don't ever plan on my TX failing. If it does, I'll deal with whatever happens. In 25 years of flying RC, I have never had (or seen) a legitimate TX failure, and I flew with/for Team Futaba for a few years with some of the best pilots in the US.

Why (potentially) create a problem that should never happen naturally?

To each his own, I guess. I wouldn't do it.

Then try it .... just go to an open area to try it :)

This is my RTH test with the RC still on .... i always repeat this after an update.

The LAST thing i want to do is find out just when i need it that the RTH does not work.

Yep - there has been lots of discussion regarding this ... would be good to see dji's take.

Real q -- Is it best practice if you loose RC to MP connection and cant get it back is the best thing to turn off the RC so it RTH? Have only had my MP for a few days but think I will definitely need to try this. I have had one RTH so far and it was caused due to obstacle avoidance ... MP did just what it was supposed to do but at the same time I lost RC to MP connection so was more nerve racking that it might have been.

Btw - regarding firmware. I updated my MP few days ago when I got it and again yesterday with latest (MP and RC). Two easy flights on the new FW and so far so good.

Last edited:
Based on over 25 years of flying RC, I believe this is very bad advice. I don't ever plan on my TX (It's not a remote control.) failing. If it does, I'll deal with whatever happens. In 25 years of flying RC, I have never had (or seen) a legitimate TX failure, and I flew with/for Team Futaba for a few years with some of the best pilots in the US.

Why (potentially) create a problem that should never happen naturally?

To each his own, I guess. I wouldn't do it.

While I would never turn off my 18MZ or 14MZ for that matter with an armed RC i see the MP RC as a different animal. Similar to I would never arm my Heli's or Giant scale w/out first turning on my radio whereas dji recommends to turn on MP first ... then RC etc...

The good or bad news... depends on how you look at it we will all test RTH at some point in time due to the nature of the MP and it's software. I'd bet odds are that you will have a disconnect and it will if everything is working correctly RTH if you have yours set to RTH. I was pleasantly surprised that my RTH worked due to another fault condition (obstacle avoidance) but less happy that at the same time I lost rc-mp.

Hard to believe DJI recommends that startup order but I'll take your word for it. Certainly not what I do, nor will I ever. Old habits die hard, especially when they work. Basic RC logic says the RX should find the TX as soon as it powers up and initializes, mostly for safety reasons.

I'm not sure how we got into the discussion of power-up order anyway. I never mentioned it in my reply.

Like I said, to each his own. :)

Reactions: Clinton1
Order of operations to show how things are or may be different with the mp vs traditional rc. It could be that for every dji person you speak with you will get different answers but in terms of power up I heard the same when I was in Shenzhen that I heard from tech support in LA.

I have 101 skydives, I have yet to test the aad. It's a device that fires he reserve at 800' if I'm still doing over 80mph. If I ever need it it's great to have it as a last resort.

I see the Rth as a last resort. My opinion.
That's like saying I should try out my airbag in my car just in case. It's a little toy, try out everything. Jeeezzzzzzzz

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
hopefully i will receive my new mavic tomorrow it is coming from the US ordered thro drones for less
my questions is should i update the firmware there always seems to be a issue with updating reading a lot of threads on this subject question are ask about how to roll back to the previous firmware
I assume out of the box i will be asked to update the firmware is there a difference between US and British firmware
any thoughts on this matter??
I've yet to have a single problem with any update.

17bbd86a259321cad63b30238e0cd712.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ