DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UPDATE: FLORIDA DJI DRONE BAN CHALLENGED.

The article ends weirdly. Like it was cut off. "But a Republican Florida representative is pushing back on the ban." Who? When? How? LOL. Very poorly written. Gives a back story of why they were banned, but does not answer the other 3 W's.

I don’t understand why an immediate and outright ban was chosen over a gradual phase out. Well, actually I do understand but that’s a taboo subject.

As a retired LEO, I’d also love to know what penalties an agency would face for continuing to use DJI drones in emergency situations. Can one imagine the fallout from a decision to punish an agency for using a “banned” drone to find a lost child or establish a fire line or any one of the other public safety functions these machines perform?

This decision demonstrates myopic decision making influenced by _________ rather than public safety.

My dad would have said, “No one is totally useless, they can always serve as a bad example.”

That article was odd. It just ends, with no actual information about what is happening.

Local10 Miami said:
A state bill with bi-partisan support was introduced in the FL state senate to allow agencies to continue to use non-approved drones until suitable replacements can be source.

A representative from the Collier County Sheriff’s Office said the approved drones have “limited capabilities,” cannot fly at night and their cameras are “not safe” to use.

Meanwhile, a representative from the Orlando Police Department called the approved drones a hazard.

“In one year and a half we had five failures with manufacturers on the (state approved) list. DJI? None,” the representative said. “That is going to put us in danger, the officers in danger, and the public in danger, when these drones continue to fall out of the sky.”

Sen. Jason Pizzo, D-North Miami Beach, did not mince words about the approved drones either, calling the technology “s---ty” during the hearing.

Pizzo supports a bill sponsored by Sen. Tom Wright, R-Port Orange, to allow the DJI drones back into service until agencies can find a way to replace them, giving them more time to find alternatives.

Source: Lawmakers push to let FL police, fire use Chinese drones again; cops say approved ones are junk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N