DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UPDATE - FOUND & RESCUED: URGENT - Help needed in Robbinsville, NC for child search & rescue

Hope it is a good out come thoughts are with you all out there searching as I know what it is like as I am apart of search and rescue team hear in Australia be safe and good luck guys
Hey fella, what team are you with?

UPDATE: June 2, 2017 9:52AM - FOUND AND RESCUED

Maddie and her grandmother have been found in the woods. They are ok. No other information as to what happened or how they were found has yet been made available, but I will post additional information as it becomes available. On behalf of the Anderson and Plonski families, I wanted to extend my deep, deep and sincere gratitude to everyone - known (Allen!) and unknown- who assisted. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see strangers spring into action and support.

Thank God this one had a happy ending!

Here's a post from Maddie's mother:

"Maddie and Chris are safe and I have Maddie in my arms. I cannot thank everyone enough for their shares, prayers, thoughts, and actions. So many people and organizations came to our aid. I will be eternally grateful. I have too many people to thank but you know who you are and I am forever in your debt. Please share this post, so the thousands of people who have been our "wingmen" will know that they are safe and home.

To the Graham County NC Rescue and Police department - I love you, each and every one of you and thank you for your diligence and hard work.

After hiking to one of the falls they got lost and turned around somehow. They hiked till almost dark where they thank god found a shack, a shack that was stocked with some canned food and sleeping bags and a way to start a fire. Both nights were spent there. There are so many angels that were with them, guiding them to that cabin and angels that guided the rescuers to find them today."

Thanks for sharing that ThumbswayupThumbswayup
BigA had text me and asked to post they had been found but you had already .
Great ending !

Thanks for updating this thread. I'm just now (10:31pm) getting home after leaving my house at 4:30am LOL.

It was a great find to say the least. We got to meet the family (some of them just arrived this morning from Florida) and were more than thrilled to give them the good news of the positive find. Seeing this HUGE smiles and eyes pouring tears of joy (actually by several of us to be honest) is why we do this. It's one thing to bring closure to a hurting and discouraged family but to be there to let them know their loved ones are SAFE and SOUND and coming back was one of the most amazing feelings I have been a part of.

They had gotten turned around and walked away from the trail head by several miles. They were found by boots-on-the-ground searchers a long way from where we had been looking.

A HUGE thank you to all who came out and joined the search and those who so graciously provided water and snacks for our search teams. Also THANK YOU to the SC SAR team that drove up this morning from SC with their search K9's. Although the lost hikers were found before we could get K9's in the trails these folks made a long drive and were as excited about the find as anyone else in the group. I look forward to working with you again in the future.

Thanks to all here for the well wishes and the prayers. MANY prayers were answered today.

For future reference if anyone knows of a lost/missing person and you would like to "request" for UAV assistance please don't hesitate to let me know. I am a member of several national and international SAR groups and I will be more than glad to pass the information along to see if we can get more assistance. I can't promise any responses but at least we can try.

Sincerely,
Allen

Thanks BA :) ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Guys unfortunately in a different continent, but my prayers are with them. I hope some fellow pilots can help us in the search.
If it was in my country I would definitely fly there myself and join the search and rescue ops.

Make sure to coordinate your activities with the local authorities and plan the search.
Dont just to there and fly, use a mapping software and scan the area, land and get someone to analyse the shots while you change battery and launch a new mission.

Good point stratos. Adding mapping/search skills to us pilots could prove a huge benefit in such situations. Good topic for a whole new thread. I don't have skills in this area but will do research.

We need infrared on our drones.

URGENT - SEEKING ALL DRONE OWNERS NEAR ROBBINSVILLE, NC: Need your help in Search & Rescue for missing child & grandmother in Big Snowbird!

Yesterday morning, Wednesday May 31, Maddie Anderson, a 13-yo girl and her grandmother, Chris Plonski, set out for a hike into the Big Snowbird area near Robbinsville, NC. As of today, neither Maddie nor her grandmother have returned. Their car is still at the Snowbird Creek trailhead. A search is underway, being coordinated by the Graham County Sheriff's office.

Their car was left at the Snowbird Creek Trailhead (GPS: Latitude: 35.273442 | Longitude: -83.912333) and they made a call to family from the summit of Mouse Knob. It is expected that they are somewhere between these two points. If anyone could assist, especially those with thermal imaging or search & rescue experience, it would be immensely appreciated. Rescue helicopters are expected to be in the area tomorrow (Friday) if she is not found today, so remain at a low altitude and be vigilant of other aircraft.

Anyone venturing to the Snowbird Creek Trailhead can liaise with local S&R teams on the ground. But remote operators can report any findings to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

At this point it is unknown what each woman was wearing. Attached is a photo of Maddie, and we are working on obtaining a photo of her grandmother.

More information, as we know it, will be posted here.

Any leads should be forwarded to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

Thank you for your help in finding Maddie!
W

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54