DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating firmware and software

lensimages

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Please can I have clarification on updating firmware and software. I am in the UK and the CAA state that you have to make sure your firmware and software is up to date before flying. A lot ofthe posts I read regarding updating recommends not doing so because new updates may contain faults/ bugs so is this not against the CAA regs/rules. I want to fly legally so check for updates before every outing with my drones and always update when asked. Am I right in assuming that if I have an incident with my drone and the Law /CAA becomes involved only to find that my drone is flying with outdated firmware and software I am in trouble or would that be ignored, cheers Len

@lensimages i would imagine that were it proven that you were flying with outdated firmware /software and that was a contributing factor in the resulting incident being investigated, then it could be argued ,that you were not flying within the spirit of the law ,and therefor contributed in causing the incident to happen
and as the PIC the buck stops with you
personally i always endeavour to have the latest updates ,and in over 4 years of flying have never had any issues with updates

I am with @old man mavic, if you are flying with old firmware and you have an incident they will blame the Pilot as liable because you were running an outdated version of firmware or software. Having the lasted the manufacturer will be responsible in case of a malfunction of the hardware or software.

@lensimages i would imagine that were it proven that you were flying with outdated firmware /software and that was a contributing factor in the resulting incident being investigated, then it could be argued ,that you were not flying within the spirit of the law ,and therefor contributed in causing the incident to happen
and as the PIC the buck stops with you
personally i always endeavour to have the latest updates ,and in over 4 years of flying have never had any issues with updates
Yes same here never had an issue so that is why I was puzzled about some of the posts

Reactions: old man mavic
I was wondering about reverting to a previous version of the software due to the problem described below but now I am not too sure as I want to stay within the law. I have described the problem elsewhere: even though I have been flying this Mavic Pro for 14 months, the DJI software has only ever synced the first 3 flights in November 2020, nothing since. I've spent stupid amounts of time trying to remedy this, used a different iPad and MacBook to no avail. Airdata has only those first three flights, sigh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000