DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating home point

Delenot

Reactions
I'm not in the field to test this myself.

Does landing the Mini automatically update the home point to where it landed? If it does, is there a setting to prevent this?

I'm not in the field to test this myself.

Does landing the Mini automatically update the home point to where it landed? If it does, is there a setting to prevent this?
That should be simple to test.
Power up in an open area and wait for the home point to be recorded.
Fly 50 ft away and land.
Start it up and see if it records a new home point 0 ft from where the drone is now.

There's no way to avoid this.
But you can reset the homepoint to where you are if you wanted to.

Reactions: Delenot
To Delenot.
It would, I think, be more accurate to say the home point will be reset to the location of the subsequent take off rather than it being set to the landing point.

I was asked this question today and didn't have an answer I was certain of. Not being able to fly and test it myself, I turned here. I have yet to have a question go unanswered on this forum. Thank you both, it is appreciated.

Give us a little time, please, to answer. In some parts of the world,people were sleeping as you posted :)

I would say, the home point is set where your TOP is. Shutdown is the "end of flight" and as you start again, the TOP will be the homepoint.

Reactions: Delenot
Give us a little time, please, to answer. In some parts of the world,people were sleeping as you posted :)

I would say, the home point is set where your TOP is. Shutdown is the "end of flight" and as you start again, the TOP will be the homepoint.
My apologies for seeming quick. Thank you for adding in. All the answers point towards what I suspected but never had need to test myself. I'll be flying in a few hours and will follow the advice given to test it.

Thank you!

I have quickly tested it, landing 50m remotely, it updates homepoint when taking off again to remote take off postion, once airborne, homepoint can be dragged and updated again on map by using 'update homepoint' tab.
Edit: Cannot prevent it from resetting homepoint to remote take off position but once airborne the homepoint can be dragged on the map to the RC postion once 'update homepoint' tab is opened.
If 'location services' are activated on the phone you can see where you are standing on the map and homepoint can be dragged there, then 'ok' to update homepoint. AC will now come back to you when RTH is activated.

Last edited:
Here's a really good video describing all the various features of the map and compass displays. At 8:29 he explains how to get to the "Update Home Point" menu to reset your Home Point by dragging it to any desired location on the map.

There are two more options that he doesn't mention. At 9:00 you can see two icons at the top right of the "Update Home Point" map. The aircraft shaped icon lets you set a new Home Point to the aircraft's current location. The controller shaped icon sets the Home Point to the current location of your controller (if your app device is GPS enabled).

Hello my friends, I am having some trouble to update my current position during the flight. When I got on Home Point Settings to set a new home point, I set RC, instead on aircraft, and a message pop up: Mobile device GPS sinal week. It's location cannot be acquire!
I already check and changed among this devices iPad mini4, iPhone XR (4G connected), and motoG7, checked location, changed connection cables and all locations set ups on screens devides. I'm only able to set a new home point on aircraft current position.
Please any help will be welcome, I am current covering sailboat regattas over water and I almost lost my drone yesterday.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
Hello my friends, I am having some trouble to update my current position during the flight. When I got on Home Point Settings to set a new home point, I set RC, instead on aircraft, and a message pop up: Mobile device GPS sinal week. It's location cannot be acquire!
In the DJI Go 4 app, this has been a common problem with Apple devices for several years and there is no solution.
I haven't heard if it also happens with DJI Go.
It usually isn't a problem with most Android phones or tablets.

The simple workaround is to reset the home point to the current location of the drone.
Updating the hiome point as you go will prevent a situation where the drone tries to return to the launch point as the battery is getting too low for the distance.

You will need to bring the drone back manually, so you will have to keep track of where the drone is relative to your boat.

I already check and changed among this devices iPad mini4, iPhone XR (4G connected), and motoG7, checked location, changed connection cables and all locations set ups on screens devides. I'm only able to set a new home point on aircraft current position.
Please any help will be welcome, I am current covering sailboat regattas over water and I almost lost my drone yesterday.
Same problem on Android 10. What you need to do is switch on the remote and app, but leave the drone off. It then sees the remote and allocates it's home point. Haven't tried changing remote home in flight yet,

Same problem on Android 10. What you need to do is switch on the remote and app, but leave the drone off. It then sees the remote and allocates it's home point. Haven't tried changing remote home in flight yet,
It doesn't work like that, since the home point belongs to the drone.
The homepoint is saved in the drone, so it knows where to return to if it ever loses signal.
Without the drone being powered on, there can't be a home point.

I'm under the impression you can set a drone homepoint and a remote homepoint in the app under the drone icon. Due to a bug, the problem indicated arises. Pressing the drone icon updates the drone homepoint, but pressing the remote icon gives the (faulty) "gps too weak" response. By turning off the drone, pressing the remote homepoint icon now updates the remote homepoint, as visualized on the map. i.e you no longer get the remote showing on the wrong position on the map

Last edited:
By remote icon, i mean the icon with a man figure, as distinct from the other box with the drone icon, under the heading "home point settings", with the 2 boxes as options. However, i see the gps too weak still displays, so although the remote now shows in the correct position on the map, you still can't set it's position as the homepoint, which i presume is the problem in question.

By remote icon, i mean the icon with a man figure, as distinct from the other box with the drone icon, under the heading "home point settings", with the 2 boxes as options. However, i see the gps too weak still displays, so although the remote now shows in the correct position on the map, you still can't set it's position as the homepoint, which i presume is the problem in question.
See post #11 and #13 where I explained things.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato