DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating with DJI Asst 2 vs RC App

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Multiple threads on Updating Firmware/Software for Craft and/or Radio.
Many have expressed confusion or issues relating to App version, wireless or downloads.

Just a quick post to maybe help some that are uncertain which method may be a better fit.
If your path is using the RC and it works as desired, no need to change.

I've consistently used the DJI Asst from all crafts- Matrice, Inspire, Phantom and Mavic series.
I've found it easier, more direct, able to roll-back (when available), faster download of FW, and overall consistent stable results.
The FLY App (Pilot, Go4, etc) isn't involved and can be updated afterwards if needed, removing confusion of which APP version & Firmware Version.

Note: Older Models use USB-A, newer uses USB-C.
Windows Notebooks normally reliable and Mac Intel with USB-A port reliable.
Mac Intel with USB-C/Thunderbolt - USB-A, can present challenge for older crafts, depends on the USB-C to USB-A hub utilized.
Mac Intel with USB-C/Thunderbolt - USB-C craft works reliable
Mac Apple Silicon - M1 M2 - Found problematic to detect Craft Connection, USB-C direct or USB-A convertor Hubs.
NOTE 2: Apple Silicon: This appears to be DJI Asst Software issue, the craft does connect to Mac and easily access the SSD/SD Card.

As example, just purchased the Mini 3 Pro kit.
Took out of box... plugged directly into DJI Asst (Mac Intel USB-C/Thunderbolt) and updated directly to newest Firmware for both Mini 3 and Radio.
No hassle, no confusion... and quickly completed.

During Update Process:
When RC Radio was connected and started the Update process; prompted to Register. After which, the Firmware Update completed.
The Mini 3 updated with no prompts directly to the newest "selected" version. When first powered ON, prompt to register and quickly completed.

The Mini 3 was the first time experienced, maybe a norm for Mini 3 or might be due to RC being updated prior to connecting to Mini 3.
The Mini 3 didn't connect to RC on power up, so needed to Press and HOLD power button and then Bind/Bound Connection completed.

Mini 1.jpg

Mini 2.jpg

Mini 3.jpg

Mini 4.jpg

Reactions: Cecil Webb
So they let the mini 3 owners use the DJI Software, good move DJI, so why did you stop the mini 2 owners from doing the same?
My 5p worth, never update anything from DJI until you know its safe to do so, a lot of firmwares have caused issues for some people.

So they let the mini 3 owners use the DJI Software, good move DJI, so why did you stop the mini 2 owners from doing the same?
My 5p worth, never update anything from DJI until you know its safe to do so, a lot of firmwares have caused issues for some people.
Actually they did support Mini 2 and Mini SE in same Asst 2 version.
I used it on Mini 2.

Reactions: Cecil Webb