DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading from original Mavic Pro/Platinum

Davew88

Reactions
I'm quite interested in this new Mavic Air 2 as an original Mavic Pro owner.
Is anybody with an original Mavic Pro or Platinum upgrading to a Mavic Air 2? If so what's made you make the change?
From what i can see its a better drone in most areas in a smaller package, tempted!

I'm quite interested in this new Mavic Air 2 as an original Mavic Pro owner.
Is anybody with an original Mavic Pro or Platinum upgrading to a Mavic Air 2? If so what's made you make the change?
From what i can see its a better drone in most areas in a smaller package, tempted!
i think there is still to much uncertainty,with regards to the upcoming changes being proposed for drone flying around the world
and unless my trusty MPP was no longer able to fly,due to a crash or an electronic issue ,
i dont see the point at this moment in time, let any bugs be ironed out first wait to see how good or not it is and when the virus restrictions are behind us then revisit the idea

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Yep, it's tempting all right, the original Air is very stable for it's size, I flew a rather long mission over sea to an island with the M1P, into a pretty good wind, flew around the island perimeter, then a nice fast downwind leg home, flew superb.
The BIL flew his Air same time, handled similarly.

If the Air 2 has been thorough in testing etc, then all good.

I lost a lot of faith in DJI they way they released the Mini as they did . . . battery shortages were a huge issue for a month or two, prop / uncommanded descents (ongoing), and the cheapness of many little things on the mini to get sub 250g . . . screw on props ? Forget it. Thin plastic body, arms, flimsy, etc.

The Air 2 is quite a bit heavier than the Air, so should be a lot more stable, props design (and bayonet fit :) ) = quieter, longer flight, ocusync 2, camera specs, all add up to a winner.
Let's hope the normal weight side of the Air 2 = easier to put out the usual quality that DJI are pretty good at.

Fly More Combo AIR 2. DroneNerds! Can’t wait. Was initially buying a Mavic Air but with all the new features I think this will be a great upgrade. Also really hope its quieter.

Asked for a coupon via chat on DroneNerds and they provided a 5% off to use with the Air2. No tax is a winner!

Yes!!! I have been waiting three years for this one if you have an OG MP this the time to buy..

I think some of the smart features are very appealing and would probably help simplify some of the shots I like to take, but I’d really like to see someone do a comparison video of the MP1 vs the MA2...

I ordered the MA2 Fly More Combo with the intent of selling my original Mavic Pro Fly More Combo, which sold for $500 in 30 minutes locally on Craigslist. I THINK I’m getting a better drone....unless someone shows me I was stupid. ?

I've jumped in and ordered a FlyMore Combo of the Air2 plus a Smart Controller to replace my Mavic Pro (which I'm also trading in with 3 batteries for $281 credit pending them inspecting it).
So you are trading in a Mavic Pro and 3 batteries for a credit of $281 depending on their inspection?
I would think you could easily get $450-$500 selling it to a private party.

Reactions: dcpmark
So you are trading in a Mavic Pro and 3 batteries for a credit of $281 depending on their inspection?

Yeah, I saw that trade in value, and decided to sell privately. It was gone QUICK.

I ordered the MA2 Fly More Combo with the intent of selling my original Mavic Pro Fly More Combo, which sold for $500 in 30 minutes locally on Craigslist. I THINK I’m getting a better drone....unless someone shows me I was stupid. ?
there was nothing stupid about what you did ,at the end of the day the only person who will have any regrets is you,, i just hope it does work out well for you and wish you happy flying with your new MA2

Also upgrading from MP1 to Air2

Sold my (perfectly fine) Mavic Pro with lots of accessories to a friend - I think he will be happy as well. The MP1 was/is - in my humble opinion - one of the best drones ever.

Reactions: kidroc
I'm in the same boat. Whats a good resell value for OG MP, 3 batteries, DJI goggles, and a multi-battery charger with a few spare props? ( chargers 3 MP batteries at once, not one at a time like DJIs)

Keep your Mavic 1 and put the firmware hack to remove NFZ and such, keep that as a backup if you find a sick spot to film and your Air 2 is locked out./

Reactions: lee82gx
If you can afford it, keeping the Mavic Pro is always going to be the best of both worlds. Like whareable says above, there is nothing like a fully unlocked drone. Not to mention litchi compatibility. Now if due to budget and you have to sell it, then the question to ask is do you always fly in a DJI Geozone (erroneous or otherwise :p ) and do you also use litchi? Many do use it for the sheer simplicity of planning your flight days in advance in the comfort of your best chair and seat, and then just setting it off on the day. Also, it is a great tool for surveying / commercial activity, but if that's your needs then I guess you won't even ask this question. The FLY app looks so barebone fore an enthusiast flying camera.

What you get in return will be longer flight time (yay!) and perhaps easier to get better videos and photos. If you do any video or photo in low light you should know that the Mavic Pro (bless it) can't even do ISO400 properly, let alone 1600 or higher....

Surely as others also mention, DJI's track record has been soo badly undermined with the Mavic Mini, that either they throw the whole kitchen sink with the MA2 (which they look to be doing) or they regress into oblivion. All the more points to keep both haha.

FWIW, I'm keeping both until I'm convinced that litchi is runs for MA2.

Reactions: Mitch
I was on the same boat. I decided that it was time to take the jump. Sold my MP1 on CL with only one extra battery for $600 and purchased the MA2 Fly More.

Reactions: CaseyEire
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661