DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading my monitor

Getting a dedicated industrial tablet for your drone is great in terms of brightness and stability

I can't agree more! ?

but you need to understand that you'll be paying more and getting less than a plain tablet which will serve other functions and be replaced every 2-3 years.

My opinion is that it's an added cost of the hobby that you learn down the road unfortunately.

I started with a Spark in 2017 and learned right of the bat that flying with a phone sucks.

It's hard to see the "big picture" that the drone is providing, let alone trying to read the telemetry on the screen during the flight when using a phone.

Although I'm an Android user, I purchased a mini 4 along with a four sided hood to keep the sunlight away from the screen just to enjoy the Spark flights better because it was the one tablet ( and operating platform) that seemed to work the best with DJI at the time. Too many issues with the Droids.

Moving up to the present, I decided to upgrade to the Tripltek rather than the mini 5 or Smart Controller for my Mavic Air 2 flights because of the brightness of the screen and battery life.

I may have to replace it in the future, but not today. :)

I'm actually hoping I don't have to do a firmware update. Its not a easy task.
You can check out the procedure from the link.
I would do the same if I wasn't concerned it will not keep up with software updates...
I believe these concerns specific to a Tripltek are unfounded. They span all makes and models of tablets. Tripltek isn't an outlier. As I said, it's just like any other tablet, but better. Updating Tripltek's software or drone apps is as much of a concern as with any other tablet.

DJI requires an internet connection to fly in geofenced areas. It's ability to be used as a phone and have direct internet capability is a bonus. Even though it can be linked to the internet through most phone's hotspot features.

I'm more concerned about smart controllers. They cost more and become obsolete quickly. And, they can't be used for anything else, once their shelf life expires.

Lastly, if I can't see it in the sun, I don't care how good a phone or tablet is. I need something I can see from sunrise to sunset, not just at dawn, dusk, overcast days or at night. "If I cain't see it, I ain't buyin it."

Last edited:
Reactions: pnovotny
Lifthor is NoT the only one that as adapters for the Tripltek tablet. I bought an adaptor from, Aerial-Pixel (approved vendor on here) for $18.0(USD)
The cost of the required separate mount is the least significant of the far more relevant points I raised above.

Lastly, if I can't see it in the sun, I don't care how good a phone or tablet is. I need something I can see from sunrise to sunset, not just at dawn, dusk, overcast days or at night. "If I cain't see it, I ain't buyin it."
Unless you are a commercial operator who has to work in direct sun, direct sunlight is the worst time of day for aerial photography/videography with a drone. Even then, find some shade to fly from, or fly under an umbrella. Problem solved.

Reactions: PAW and pnovotny
Unless you are a commercial operator who has to work in direct sun, direct sunlight is the worst time of day for aerial photography/videography with a drone. Even then, find some shade to fly from, or fly under an umbrella. Problem solved.
Not true

Which part? Aesthetically, direct sunlight is the worst time of day for aerial photography/videography with a drone, unless you are a commercial operator. Why can't you find some shade, or fly underneath an umbrella?

Which part? Aesthetically, direct sunlight is the worst time of day for aerial photography/videography with a drone, unless you are a commercial operator. Why can't you find some shade, or fly underneath an umbrella?
@GadgetGuy .. Perhaps you have a gadget that can hold onto the umbrella while I am walking and filming dolphins, sharks, birds and manatees at the beach on a bright sunny day? Maybe an oversized umbrella hat? Truthfully, before I got a Tripltek, I actually thought about strapping an umbrella to my back to shade myself and the remote. But I figured that would make me a better video subject than anything else on the beach.

Beaches are great places to fly a drone mid day. Lot's of wild life, boats, surfers, parasailers and jetskiers to film.

Reactions: MA2 317
Did you all know the Ipad mini 5 has ONLY 500 NITS !. I wonder if it dims when it gets hot? I wouldn't be able to see any details with that kind of display.

@GadgetGuy .. Perhaps you have a gadget that can hold onto the umbrella while I am walking and filming dolphins, sharks, birds and manatees at the beach on a bright sunny day? Maybe an oversized umbrella hat? Truthfully, before I got a Tripltek, I actually thought about strapping an umbrella to my back to shade myself and the remote. But I figured that would make me a better video subject than anything else on the beach.

Beaches are great places to fly a drone mid day. Lot's of wild life, boats, surfers, parasailers and jetskiers to film.
Do you use a tripltek?

Do you use a tripltek?
I really didn't have much choice. I experimented with several phones and tablets when on the beach. I couldn barely see their screens. There was no way I was gonna buy a smart controller. So I chose the middle ground and chose the Tripltek. I had to be inventive and modify a couple tablet holders though. The tripltek is thick and the battery that powers the screen is heavy. I wasn't going to buy some expensive tablet holder, so I bought cheap and made them stronger and able to hold a thicker tablet. It's the best tablet I ever bought. I wish I knew about it before wasting my money on products with lower brightness.

Reactions: pnovotny
I really didn't have much choice. I experimented with several phones and tablets when on the beach. I couldn barely see their screens. There was no way I was gonna buy a smart controller. So I chose the middle ground and chose the Tripltek. I had to be inventive and modify a couple tablet holders though. The tripltek is thick and the battery that powers the screen is heavy. I wasn't going to buy some expensive tablet holder, so I bought cheap and made them stronger and able to hold a thicker tablet. It's the best tablet I ever bought. I wish I knew about it before wasting my money on products with lower brightness.
Thanks for the detailed answer, cgmaxed!

Reactions: cgmaxed
Maybe an oversized umbrella hat?

Happy shopping ?

While I now have a better understanding of your needs, I am quite puzzled as to why you need to be walking around while piloting a drone at the beach mid day. The drone moves, so you don't have to! Why not just hunker down under a large beach umbrella, and control the drone from there? Also, the umbrella hats actually work, despite the dorky, nerd look! Certainly cheaper than a Tripltek setup! Not knocking the Tripltek, as it is certainly much better choice than any DJI tablet, like the SC.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stokdgenetics