DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading original MP to MA2S?

FLYcam

Reactions
I've had my MP since 2016, it's been to two different continents and flown it in at least 7 countries in that time.
It has served me well. The only I'm worried about is the availability of batteries, although I have 2 which are older and another 3 set which work perfectly with around 40 charge cycles.
None of them have swelled, but they do complain about over current when it's cold, say 0c and below, but that's normal for li-ion.
It runs a third party controller app on an android tablet and the MP been unlocked, so it doesn't have any limits, so it's down to me to be sensible with it.
I take videos and photos with it, usually of mountain and seascapes.

I'd like better video quality, especially at dusk or dawn.
Would the MA2S be a good candidate?
Is it worth buying the smart controller with it?
Is it as reliable as the MP? (Mine has been fine all that time)
Are there options to "uncork it"?

What other alternatives are there? (I'd love a MP3, but it's way too expensive)

Would the MA2S be a good candidate?
Yes its a great drone.

Is it worth buying the smart controller with it?
If you can get the Air 2S / RC PRO combo, I say go for it. They are currently available from B&H and a few other retailers for the same price as the one with the old SC. The original Smart Controller has much more limited range and is probably toward its end of life.

Is it as reliable as the MP?
The Air 2S is rock solid.

Are there options to "uncork it"?
Yes.... it won't be as complete as the Mavic Pro but still a good upgrade. You need to visit the Software Mods section on this site as that is the only place discussion is allowed.

Reactions: FLYcam
None of them have swelled, but they do complain about over current when it's cold, say 0c and below, but that's normal for li-ion.
Always keep batteries warm before flight, for example in pocket under your outer clothing.
Otherwise you're putting lots of additional stress on batteries and increasing wear/capacity loss.
Besides risking crashing or completely losing the drone.

Air 2S is huge upgrade image quality wise.
20MP 1" sensor is basically light year ahead of that ancient tiny 12MP sensor.
Besides obviously better resolution, noise is far lower in low light and dynamic range is also better.

Again standard remote is overall downgrade and more like dumbmote:
Bulk you have to carry in bag has notable increase, but at the same it doesn't even have basic telemetry display and also loses few controls.
But if getting advanced remote new RC Pro is the new one.

Though if you live in or regularly visit European country, EASA rules are somewhat problematic for buying new drone at the moment.

Yes, I make a point of keeping them warm in the car or my back pack.
Thanks for the feedback on the Air 2s. Shame DJI didn't stick with the MP remote as that is so much more compact and provides useful information and control if the phone or tablet decides to throw a wobbly.

The main issue for me now is to be able to buy one that doesn't have the latest firmware installed on it.

One major good thing in going for RC Pro would be less hassle before and after flight.
Have now flown in five out of six last days and the warmest weather has been -11C.
(today -24/25C)
And unless having warm car or warm building to do it, attaching and detaching phone to remote becomes easily kind of "pain in the fingers".
Keeping fingers warm is far bigger problem than protecting battery...

I've just seen the price of the RC PRO, I won't be buying it. Plus DJI say it's only for the M3 (I know B&H in the USA sell it for the MA2S, but I'm in Europe)
I keep my MP controller and tablet together with the tablet mount, so I just take it out and connect one end of the usb cable in and it's ready in a few seconds.

I too still have my M1P (and Spark) from the 2017 era.
Probably lucky with batteries our climate isn't so cold and hard on batteries, but mine (6) original flymore and others purchased since, are still A1 and like yours no swelling.

If I was updating to another DJI consumer drone right now, I'd certainly be going with and Air2s.
As much as I love the M2P camera and variable aperture, the Air2s would more than meet my needs.
I do (did) hate the Fly app, but only scrolled through it when it first came out (no Fly app drone ever owned), but I think it's been overhauled by DJI a lot now, and has many features I would have missed back then that Go4 has.

I'd say buying the Air2s will almost see you put the M1P in the hangar permanently, the only downside to the new purchase.
Nice to have a back up, but yeah I have trouble flying my 2 older drones as often as I'd like now, and they don't like sitting around for TOO long without regular checking of battery condition etc.

Of course you may have no qualms selling the M1P, and someone would probably be interested given it is so bombproof for an intro drone, even now after more than 5 years since introduction.

Good luck with your decision.

South Oz,
I'm still very happy with the MP1, DJI did such a good job with its original design and implementation.
Especially with its reliability and the flight dynamics. Only the sensor show's it age, but I can still get decent footage within it's limitations.
The main feature I'll loose is mine will descend and ascend a lot faster and is subject to less limits which suits my use case of taking mountain footage, shame the geo-lock doesn't include high natural features so that it's peak + 50m or similar.

Last edited:
I'm still flying my MP since 2016 also. However, I don't have near the flight time on my MP as you do. Yes, they are very dependable drones.

I also have an MP1 and a Spark, and just bought an Air2S. I’ll be keeping them all, both as backup and for waypoint flying, since the newer drones are so hobbled in that respect.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I'm going to hang on to the MP till I learn the foibles of the MA2S and it proves to be reliable. I should receive it soon and will be testing it from a large piece of public land (600X1700m) that is quiet during the weekdays. I may even have some time to take some comparison shots between the MP and MA2S.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22