DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

URGENT: Drone with Magnetometer and GPS

Hello from the Crossroads of America asifkhan123.

I'm pretty sure ALL of the DJI drones have GPS and a compass.

Very stable when flying the products.

The Mini 2 would be a good starter drone.

It would have been my upgrade from the Spark, but it wasn't available so I purchased a Mavic Air 2.

Happy shopping and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Thank you so much! Appreciate the welcome too.

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Agree with MA2 317 about the MM2. Can I ask why the question about GPS and Magnetometer?
Regards
Hi, I'm in my final year of university and I am using drones to create a mapping tool as my final year project. So having a GPS and a magnetometer would be really helpful when it comes to stitching different pictures together. Hope that answers your question.

OK so unless you are going to do your flight plan, freehand, which I’ve had to do on occasion. I don’t believe there is any mapping software for the MM2. I have flown a mission with the MM2 freehand but ended up with a couple of small holes in the final product.
Litchi is now available for the MM1. This may be a cheaper alternative for a student. Hope this helps any other questions just ask, the forum is full of info.
Regards

OK so unless you are going to do your flight plan, freehand, which I’ve had to do on occasion. I don’t believe there is any mapping software for the MM2. I have flown a mission with the MM2 freehand but ended up with a couple of small holes in the final product.
Litchi is now available for the MM1. This may be a cheaper alternative for a student. Hope this helps any other questions just ask, the forum is full of info.
Regards
If you don't mind me asking, what is Litchi?

A second hand Mavic Mini might be a cheaper option than a Mini 2, perhaps even some of the earlier Mavic style drones but others would need to comment on the suitability of those,
If you intend to fly this make sure you check up on the CAA? rules and regulations.
Are you going to need access to the drone's software?
If so you might need to contact DJI directly

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. I see you are already getting plenty of support.

Hi, I'm in my final year of university and I am using drones to create a mapping tool as my final year project. So having a GPS and a magnetometer would be really helpful when it comes to stitching different pictures together. Hope that answers your question.
As you weren't aware that all DJI drones and most others (except cheap toys) have GPS and compass, perhaps you aren't aware of the mapping software that's already available?

Have a look at DroneDeploy as one example (there are other similar programs available too).
You use any of these programs, you need a drone that's supported, and some of the smaller, more recent Mavic models aren't.

A second hand Mavic Mini might be a cheaper option than a Mini 2, perhaps even some of the earlier Mavic style drones but others would need to comment on the suitability of those,
If you intend to fly this make sure you check up on the CAA? rules and regulations.
Are you going to need access to the drone's software?
If so you might need to contact DJI directly
My supervisor said that it needs to be an open sourced drone so I'm guessing I do need access. Thanks for the advice on the CAA, I've been looking at this too.

As you weren't aware that all DJI drones and most others (except cheap toys) have GPS and compass, perhaps you aren't aware of the mapping software that's already available?

Have a look at DroneDeploy as one example (there are other similar programs available too).
You use any of these programs, you need a drone that's supported, and some of the smaller, more recent Mavic models aren't.
Okay, I'll definitely have a look. I appreciate the advice!

The DJI drones are not open source. The ones that are controllable from 3rd party software work only through an applications programming interface which provides limited communication with the software and hardware internal to the drone.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

This google search came up with three videos and some suppliers: magnetometer on drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98