DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US Class C, D and E airspace

Syphon

Reactions
Ok, so I am planning on getting some footage of some lighthouses in my area. One of them is nearby but in a Class D space, and would love some clarification.

For a hobbyist (not Remote Pilot Airman Certificate) I just have to notify an airport and ATC of my flight plans if the airport is within 5 miles correct? I know if you fall under the part 107, you have to fill out a special form, but my understanding is hobbyist just have to notify the airport and ATC (and I think we restricted from Class B).

This is within 4 miles of an airport, however, I will be staying under 300ft and the lighthouse is 175ft high. I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Also, is the rule 5 miles radius of the airport or is it 5 miles and in Class C, D, E. My house for example is out of the 5 mile radius of the airport, but the Class C extends out 6 miles and I am just barely in that Class C. Do I need to notify the airport?

Reactions: themixguy
AOPA has a pretty good explanation of what you should do.

Best Practices for Flying your Drone within Five Miles of an Airport - AOPA

The rule is 5 statute miles from the airport.
If I had any doubt, I would buy or look at a sectional chart that showed the airspace where I intended to operate, plot the lat/long of my location and see where it is on the chart with reference to overlying airspace, and go from there,

Question about the part 107 licence. Now if you get the 107 and you are flying simply for hobby do you still need to fill out the "Special" forms or do you only need to fill out those forms if you intend on using that footage particular footage for profit?

As I understand it, if you have a part 107 operating certificate you need a waiver when operating in controlled airspace. The gov publications I have read do not differentiate your purpose.

Awesome.

As for the being out side of 5 miles but in a Class C, I don't have to notify ATC from my understanding. I found this: Operator Infographic V2 - AirMap which looks like the only time I worry about the airspace classes is if I am Part 107, but as a recreational flier, I am only needed to be concerned about the 5 mile radius. Correct?

Awesome.

As for the being out side of 5 miles but in a Class C, I don't have to notify ATC from my understanding. I found this: Operator Infographic V2 - AirMap which looks like the only time I worry about the airspace classes is if I am Part 107, but as a recreational flier, I am only needed to be concerned about the 5 mile radius. Correct?

As I understand it, yes, that is correct.
Be mindful of the altitude restrictions though. If you stay below 400' you should be OK.

Awesome. Just got a call back from ATC of a municipal airport that I want to fly within 1.2 miles of their airport for a cool lighthouse shot on the beach. He was super nice and told me he had no issues with my flight but asked for me to modify my altitude from 300ft to 200ft and to just give them a call if I need 5 minutes to take it up to 300ft to make sure the space is clear since I am not to far off a runway path. Very easy to do.

Reactions: Pittnuma
Awesome. Just got a call back from ATC of a municipal airport that I want to fly within 1.2 miles of their airport for a cool lighthouse shot on the beach. He was super nice and told me he had no issues with my flight but asked for me to modify my altitude from 300ft to 200ft and to just give them a call if I need 5 minutes to take it up to 300ft to make sure the space is clear since I am not to far off a runway path. Very easy to do.

Awesome when people are easy to deal with and it goes off with no hiccups huh. Happy flying!!

Reactions: Syphon
I think that would be the norm.
Nobody wants any trouble.

As a rule of thumb, it would be helpful if drone folks knew some basics about airports.
The more critical areas are approach and departure paths, so if you know the runway alignment, you might want to avoid the extended centerline of the main runway.

Figure 300' per mile, which is a normal 3 degree, standard glideslope that airplanes fly.
So...If you are 1.5 miles from the touchdown zone, a normal approach for an airplane would be 450' agl at that point.
2 miles, 600' agl.

AOPA has a pretty good explanation of what you should do.

Best Practices for Flying your Drone within Five Miles of an Airport - AOPA

The rule is 5 statute miles from the airport.
If I had any doubt, I would buy or look at a sectional chart that showed the airspace where I intended to operate, plot the lat/long of my location and see where it is on the chart with reference to overlying airspace, and go from there,
Just google FAA sectionals and it will take you to their site where you can download a good quality pdf of all the sectionals in the US for free.

Question about the part 107 licence. Now if you get the 107 and you are flying simply for hobby do you still need to fill out the "Special" forms or do you only need to fill out those forms if you intend on using that footage particular footage for profit?
I have yet to see anything that would prevent you from having both ratings and using the appropriate one based on the type of mission you were flying, just like multi-ratings in the real world. If anyone has seen something different please post.

I have yet to see anything that would prevent you from having both ratings and using the appropriate one based on the type of mission you were flying, just like multi-ratings in the real world. If anyone has seen something different please post.

I'm unsure what you are saying here.
What do you mean "both ratings?"
I am unaware of any ratings, to use FAA parlance.
The 107 is a certificate.

I am guessing that in time, the issue of hobby flying vs commercial use will be differentiated, but as of today, as I read it, there is no waiver for a 107 certificate holder to eliminate requirements based on what he/she is doing.
Very likely it will get worked out, but as of today, I haven't seen any elimination of requirements.
It is quite similar to a normal certificate. I have an ATP and am typed in the 727/757/767 and 777.
I used to own a Bonanza, and when I flew it privately, I was just a liable to suffer certificate action against my ATP if I screwed something up as I was if something happened at the airline.
May not make sense, but that's what it is.

Last edited:
I'm unsure what you are saying here.
What do you mean "both ratings?"
I am unaware of any ratings, to use FAA parlance.
The 107 is a certificate.

I am guessing that in time, the issue of hobby flying vs commercial use will be differentiated, but as of today, as I read it, there is no waiver for a 107 certificate holder to eliminate requirements based on what he/she is doing.
Very likely it will get worked out, but as of today, I haven't seen any elimination of requirements.
It is quite similar to a normal certificate. I have an ATP and am typed in the 727/757/767 and 777.
I used to own a Bonanza, and when I flew it privately, I was just a liable to suffer certificate action against my ATP if I screwed something up as I was if something happened at the airline.
May not make sense, but that's what it is.
Sorry I need to be more clear when mixing drone flying and aircraft flying so rather than both ratings I meant to say both the registration and the 107 certificate.

My point is when you register your drone (a rule not a suggestion as someone stated) you can operate a drone under the established rules. If you go for the Remote pilot in command certificate (107) you can operate a drone following the rules established under 107, getting a 107 certificate does not free you from registering you drone.

You having an ATP rating does not prevent you from flying your Bonanza but your must follow the rules that are applicable to each.

By the way the same thing applies to flying drones, if you violate the rules while flying a drone you can suffer certificate action against any other FAA certificate you have. This can be found in The Federal Register Vol.81 No.124, (just be advised it's 152 pages long, some searching required).

The good thing about being a pilot is the road to the 107 certification is shorter. "Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA."

It has been easy to do for a long time.. In the 70's I had a boat and a parasale and flew within 2 miles of an airport.. All I had to do is fill out some forms (once). They then gave me the tower phone number and when I wonted to go out parasailing I would call them up tell them where, how high, when and how long a period of time I would be doing this. After I called the tower it was there job to keep air traffic above 500' in that area... In the 7-8 years I did this---I never got told i could not do it or had the area I flew in modified. I tried this at another airport and they would not give me an inch to fly in. They would not even let you fly a kite in there air space.. It depends on the airport runway layout---some have runways running at 90 degree angles to each other and use according to wind direction.

Reactions: GreatScott
If you obtained your Part 107 for commercial flight and still fly as a hobbyist (as most of us do), the action you take and where you must take it depends on the nature of your flight.

If you are flying for recreation - for fun - you are flying as a hobbyist under Part 101. You must notify the airport and tower (if there is one) prior to flying within 5 statue miles of an airport. You do not require permission. "Airport" means any airport, seaport, heliport (like at a hospital), etc.

If you are not flying for recreation, then your flight is covered by Part 107 (commercial rules). You must have a Part 107 certificate, and you are now concerned with the type of airspace - meaning that you cannot fly in controlled airspace without authorization, which you apply for on a special FAA web page. However, even if you are within 5 miles of an airport, if you are in uncontrolled airspace, you can fly without notifying anyone.

If you obtained your Part 107 for commercial flight and still fly as a hobbyist (as most of us do), the action you take and where you must take it depends on the nature of your flight.

If you are flying for recreation - for fun - you are flying as a hobbyist under Part 101. You must notify the airport and tower (if there is one) prior to flying within 5 statue miles of an airport. You do not require permission. "Airport" means any airport, seaport, heliport (like at a hospital), etc.

If you are not flying for recreation, then your flight is covered by Part 107 (commercial rules). You must have a Part 107 certificate, and you are now concerned with the type of airspace - meaning that you cannot fly in controlled airspace without authorization, which you apply for on a special FAA web page. However, even if you are within 5 miles of an airport, if you are in uncontrolled airspace, you can fly without notifying anyone.

My question is, If it says 90 day turn around, how does a RE photographer wait that long? It's easier to notify a local airport and do an appointment than to tell an agent , sorry you can't list a house for 90 days. unless I am missing something.

Oh and you can't mix and match 101 and 107 flights; you have to start and end under one or the other. So if you're flying for fun and suddenly decide you want to sell what you're filming, you should land and take back off under 107 rules. (Which could be kind of inconvenient if you suddenly need to request an airspace authorization for your location.)

I have a remote certificate. I guess I'll just study up and fill out a proper waiver. I live near PITT airport and a local class d county airport. this is a pain. I'm assuming I would have to apply for B and D airspace?

My question is, If it says 90 day turn around, how does a RE photographer wait that long? It's easier to notify a local airport and do an appointment than to tell an agent , sorry you can't list a house for 90 days. unless I am missing something.

That's the current issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan