DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US FAA Registration???

Rguinn1207

Reactions
Myself and my Wife both fly the MM and the Air2. I have a FAA Registration #. Should I get my wife her own registration # and have both #s on each UAV? Or can she fly my UAV with only my registration # posted?

if you are only flying recreational then one number should suffice for for all your drones ,in the UK the equivalent CAA number is called the operator number and has to be displayed on any drones owned by the operator ,but then if the operator or someone else wants to fly the drone, then they need to do the 20 question test and get a flyer ID number, which they have to carry on them when they fly a drone even if it does not belong to them
i believe that a similar system is being muted for the US in the upcoming changes being discussed by the FAA at the moment

Reactions: Camino Ken
In the US it is similar with one registration number for all your drones. As to both you and your wife getting a registration number, I think you can but I don’t know if you must.

if you are only flying recreational then one number should suffice for for all your drones ,in the UK the equivalent CAA number is called the operator number and has to be displayed on any drones owned by the operator ,but then if the operator or someone else wants to fly the drone, then they need to do the 20 question test and get a flyer ID number, which they have to carry on them when they fly a drone even if it does not belong to them
i believe that a similar system is being muted for the US in the upcoming changes being discussed by the FAA at the moment
Awesome, thanks "old man"...

Reactions: old man mavic
Myself and my Wife both fly the MM and the Air2. I have a FAA Registration #. Should I get my wife her own registration # and have both #s on each UAV? Or can she fly my UAV with only my registration # posted?

Not sure if it's an AMA thing only but we allow other members to fly each others aircraft at our AMA fields. It's also how we train newbies or other non members to fly. The mini doesn't require a registration but if it did weigh more than .5lbs my guess is as long as you fly together, there shouldn't be an issue. If one of you decides to take it and fly by yourself, you just need a copy of the recreation registration card at the flying site. Same as if you loan it to a friend. At this time there is no FAA test required in the US (for recreational flight).

Not sure if it's an AMA thing only but we allow other members to fly each others aircraft at our AMA fields. It's also how we train newbies or other non members to fly. The mini doesn't require a registration but if it did weigh more than .5lbs my guess is as long as you fly together, there shouldn't be an issue. If one of you decides to take it and fly by yourself, you just need a copy of the recreation registration card at the flying site. Same as if you loan it to a friend. At this time there is no FAA test required in the US (for recreational flight).
Copy that, (looks like a test is in the pipes, no eta.).
Thanks

That's kind of strange because the people who have no idea about airspace are the ones that need to be taking a test. Ones most likely to cause the problems we're having.

She can fly the drone with just your number. I don't suggest placing two registration numbers on the drone, as it would just create confusion.

It's the drone you are registering. You for sure do not need more that one registration.
Unless you just wish to donate to the FAA.

Hi i just talked to a consultant at the ffa if your using 107 then your number is for the drone. if your flying hobby then your registration is your number and she will need to have her own number to be perfectly legal, hopes this clears it up for ya!

One person should be all that is required for a hobby family. I have NEVER seen any stipulation with FAA refs that requires family members to register separately. In absence of requiring additional immediate family members to register separately, singularity should be accepted.

Reactions: dawgpilot
One person should be all that is required for a hobby family. I have NEVER seen any stipulation with FAA refs that requires family members to register separately. In absence of requiring additional immediate family members to register separately, singularity should be accepted.
But that's still only recreational, part 107 is completely different. The car insurance covers the car, not the driver. Everyone that is flying part 107 still has to get the part 107, unless the RC is standing next to part 107 guy. The FAA is having a real paradigm problem with drones. It's something that shakes their world and they can't get their head around it.

Hi i just talked to a consultant at the ffa if your using 107 then your number is for the drone. if your flying hobby then your registration is your number and she will need to have her own number to be perfectly legal, hopes this clears it up for ya!
I just talked to Landon at the FAA. Only one regisration number should appear on the drone and as long as they have contact info that is correct your good. So husband and wife need not both register the drone.
In fact Landon's wife has a drone that he files - one registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dawgpilot
But that's still only recreational, part 107 is completely different. The car insurance covers the car, not the driver. Everyone that is flying part 107 still has to get the part 107, unless the RC is standing next to part 107 guy. The FAA is having a real paradigm problem with drones. It's something that shakes their world and they can't get their head around it.
Quite correct on the 107 issue. However, since 107 was not in the question, I took a chance and made an assumption the OP was concerned for recreational only. Now matters NOT, as the requirement for flying 107 is not in question. However, when flying 107, the PIC (who may not be operating the controls at the time) is required to provide certification if requested by authorities (US), not the ownership of the drone! The drone does NOT have to be owned by the PIC. But back to the family owned drone. IMHO, the family does NOT have to register separately as long as the original family member is already registered. Why pay extra $$$. The FAA simply says for recreational registration to use the same number. Even with a drone being registered under 107, a hobbyist can fly it as well! And the other is quite true as well, a 107 pilot can fly a hobbyist’s drone! There is NO law that says you cannot fly a drone other than your own! For hobbyist the person is registered, where as for 107, it’s the drone!

If you are a recreational pilot any adult can fly your drone without the requirement they have their own unique registration number. To me, the question is are you responsible for their proper operation?

Quite correct on the 107 issue. However, since 107 was not in the question, I took a chance and made an assumption the OP was concerned for recreational only. Now matters NOT, as the requirement for flying 107 is not in question. However, when flying 107, the PIC (who may not be operating the controls at the time) is required to provide certification if requested by authorities (US), not the ownership of the drone! The drone does NOT have to be owned by the PIC. But back to the family owned drone. IMHO, the family does NOT have to register separately as long as the original family member is already registered. Why pay extra $$$. The FAA simply says for recreational registration to use the same number. Even with a drone being registered under 107, a hobbyist can fly it as well! And the other is quite true as well, a 107 pilot can fly a hobbyist’s drone! There is NO law that says you cannot fly a drone other than your own! For hobbyist the person is registered, where as for 107, it’s the drone!

However you can not fly your recreational registered drone on a paid mission.
Note that the pilot does not need a 107 if the 107 pilot is colocated on a paid mission.

If you are a recreational pilot any adult can fly your drone without the requirement they have their own unique registration number. To me, the question is are you responsible for their proper operation?
Only when flying under 107 rules! The PIC retains full responsibility for the safe and correct operation of the craft.

If you are the owner of both craft, and are flying recreationally, then you only need one registration number on both drones (but the number has to be on both of them in a conspicuous place that does not require disassembly of any kind [such as inside the battery compartment, that's now a no-no]). If your wife is the owner of the other drone, then she needs her own registration number. It's only $5 anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard