DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB a to USB B or C short connector?

Sorry man! Thunderdrones flies off the handle again. Must be the steroids Im taking! (Thats just an excuse I use when Im rude or angry with someone. My wife wants to make a shirt saying, "It's not the steroids, my husbands just an ahole." :D
Gimme your address, I’ll send you mine!

Reactions: Former Member
They are available on the great www, especially Amazon. I went the cheaper route and put a red dot of paint on the top of cord and controller and a yellow on the bottom of each. Did that for each cord. This way the only thing I must remember is why I put them there to start. Parts-timers disease, I think.

I used to do that too. I'm just too lazy to flip the cable around and find the correct dot. These red cables just make it easy for lazy people like me. It doesn't matter what side you use.
They are available on the great www, especially Amazon. I went the cheaper route and put a red dot of paint on the top of cord and controller and a yellow on the bottom of each. Did that for each cord. This way the only thing I must remember is why I put them there to start. Parts-timers disease, I think.

Yes I think unlucky. I have bought a few dozen of them, and never had a problem. The Netdot ones are ok, but I have bought other brands without the light on them, and they work well too.
It's strange, I tried them with all my android devices (not only my controllers) and they didn't stay in place.
All my normal cables fit firmly.

It's strange, I tried them with all my android devices (not only my controllers) and they didn't stay in place.
All my normal cables fit firmly.

You mean that the end plug didnt stay firmly on the Micro USB port of the controller? The cable that I have been buying stay pretty tight.

Yes, I mean that it isn't staying in place, not only on my controllers, but on my other devices.
Of course micro usb.

Maybe in Europe they sell other (older?) versions of the cables.

Yes, I mean that it isn't staying in place, not only on my controllers, but on my other devices.
Of course micro usb.

Maybe in Europe they sell other (older?) versions of the cables.

Its a shame the cable doesnt work for you. If you were in the USA, I would send you one for free lol (but then you wouldnt need one)

I used to do that too. I'm just too lazy to flip the cable around and find the correct dot. These red cables just make it easy for lazy people like me. It doesn't matter what side you use.
For a while I was having problems remembering which red or yellow connector went with which which jack. Then it dawned on me I was painting only one end of the cable not both and it was strictly for the controller. Part Timers disease! Just why the **** did DJI make the connector so odd shaped for that port anyhoo?

@dlrdmd check out this magnetic cable from Amazon. I have a few of them and they work great for charging, but not for data. You just plug the end of the cable into your controller and leave it there. When you want to charge, you just put the cable near the plug and it pulls the cable right into the plug magnetically from around an inch away. One caveat, once you put the plug into the controller, try not to take it out too often. Its a PITA to get out! lol But it will save your Micro USB port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVRBTXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well Rob I got the ones you recommended, now as long as I don't have any RC problems due to it being magnetic and I don't have problems with the magnetic piece picking up any metal dust I may have in my garage I should be in great shape.

I sure like the idea I can let the piece in my RC and the cord hooks right up to it (sure will save a lot of wear and tear on the micro USB port on the RC)!

Reactions: FoxhallGH
For a while I was having problems remembering which red or yellow connector went with which which jack. Then it dawned on me I was painting only one end of the cable not both and it was strictly for the controller. Part Timers disease! Just why the **** did DJI make the connector so odd shaped for that port anyhoo?
It's not odd shaped. It is Micro USB A formfactor which isn't commonly used, but is correct for connecting to a type B device, which is the mode a mobile device is connected as.
A connects to B. A is usually a PC, B is a peripheral.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
It's not odd shaped. It is Micro USB A formfactor which isn't commonly used, but is correct for connecting to a type B device, which is the mode a mobile device is connected as.
A connects to B. A is usually a PC, B is a peripheral.
I contend it is odd shaped because one can quite easily insert the plug upside down. The design for those jacks, or plugs, or whaterever term one wishes, does not match the industry standard by fact it does permit wrongful connection, and without real effort.

You can then blame the committee that decided on the USB standards, including the form factor for micro-USB type A. They probably designed it that way on purpose so you could also use it as a type B connection with a type B plug.

Not many devices out there needed a small, type A USB port.

It seems that some engineers in DJI, made a bad decision.
I don't know a device, using this type of interface, today.
They should have learned from service statistics, but they don't. Instead they continue to use this on M2 series RC.

Fortunately, Mavics have the "right", commonly used, micro usb connectors. Maybe they are designed by another team.

The Mavic Air I ordered and received, from DJI, has never been altered in any way with exception of the skin. Same for the remote controller. I still contend the micro USB B connector (not the actual plug, was an improper connector, NON FACTORY STANDARD. I believe that quite possibly that DJI may have intended to utilize the micro USB C connector and placed that shroud on the controllers. They then changed their minds and instead of using the micro usb c guts went with micro usb b instead. The connections for both are not compatible with each other as the usb micro c is a center connection whereas the micro usb b connection is offset center connected. The design of the shroud is also intended to accept only the correct plug into the jack. The micro usb c will thusly not fit the micro usb b and vice verse. That is the intent of the jack itself. The outer shroud is simply designed to hold the jack. Most shrouds are designed for one or the other as to be a perfect fit. This is not the case on my controller and therefore the plug may actually be inserted into the jack right side up or upside down. Fortunately, I am smart enough to know which way is which, as I have no desire to cause any further problems with the plug. I choose to color code to be able to simply plug straight in without worrying which way is correct by looking at the plug straight on each time. The color code tells me immediately, without having to double check. So, did I get the faulty one from DJI and everyone else received the correct? Notice the shape of the shroud on the RC Controller as compared to the shape on other devices!

Why place a micro usb a jack in the controller and supply micro usb b plugs??? Does NOT make sense.
20190125_093828.jpg20190125_093810.jpg20190125_093948.jpg20190125_094024.jpg

Attachments

• 20190125_093828.jpg
    20190125_093828.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 6
@dlrdmd check out this magnetic cable from Amazon. I have a few of them and they work great for charging, but not for data. You just plug the end of the cable into your controller and leave it there. When you want to charge, you just put the cable near the plug and it pulls the cable right into the plug magnetically from around an inch away. One caveat, once you put the plug into the controller, try not to take it out too often. Its a PITA to get out! lol But it will save your Micro USB port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVRBTXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've been using this same brand magnetic connector for months. It's on everything I own. My use is with Android, data only works if the light on the plug is facing up. Power for charging works either way.
Are you saying data does not work or is not reliable with DJI or everything? I've not connected rc to pc, only the Mavic2 which is usbc.

Yes I think unlucky. I have bought a few dozen of them, and never had a problem. The Netdot ones are ok, but I have bought other brands without the light on them, and they work well too.
Dotnet has made changes over time and I find it confusing. The older versions did not always latch every time, they needed help. I've had no problems with the newer netdot3. I stay with them since I have so many already! Amazon might even send the older versions ,you need to watchout.
I'd say go to another brand if your just starting. My mother destroyed 2 phones and a tablet with micro usb.

It seems that some engineers in DJI, made a bad decision.
I don't know a device, using this type of interface, today.
They should have learned from service statistics, but they don't. Instead they continue to use this on M2 series RC.

Fortunately, Mavics have the "right", commonly used, micro usb connectors. Maybe they are designed by another team.
No - it's not a bad decision - unfortunately it's the right & correct decision! The USB standard has an 'A' and a 'B' end type of connector. An 'A' end is the device (e.g. a PC), that's providing the power &/or data to another device (e.g. a mobile phone), which is designated the 'B' end. In most cases, the 'A' end of a connecting cable is predominantly a [large] USB-A type plug connector, and the 'B' end is the smaller USB / mini-USB/ micro-USB type plug designed for; inkjet printers, mobile phones, dash-cam's etc.

In the case of the DJI Mavic Pro & Pro 2, the controller is acting as the 'A' party in the network, connecting through to the mobile phone / tablet which is the 'B' device.

The controller has two 'A' type USB connectors ... the micro-USB A on the side, and the USB-A [standard] port on the base. DJI have been 100% correct in engineering the controller this way - however, that doesn't stop it being a right PITA when it comes to using that micro-USB A port as a charging port, when suddenly the controller goes from being an 'A' device, to a 'B' device!
USB-micro-A-B.png

If you have a look around, you'll find that it's almost impossible to find a USB cable that has a USB-A plug on one end, and a 'micro-USB A' on the other. That would be the ideal charging cable for the Mavic controller - but is by description, completely non-standard. The alternatives have been discussed in this thread, and my personal favourite is to ditch the proprietary 'flat' cable that DJI supply to connect the controller micro-USB port to the mobile device, and use a USB-A cable from the bottom port to my (USB-C) Android phone. I then use a micro-USB B NetDot tip - carefully inserted the right-way-round - in the side port, and leave the tip there permanantly, only using that port for charging.
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

Reactions: sea157

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard