Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB Fan

smbishop

Flying in Texas
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I ordered this fan from Amazon: Amazon.com
It has a USB A, so I used a USB C converter.
The drone stayed cool throughout the firmware update.
First I connected it to the drone, but it turned off when the drone turned off.
So, I connected it to the battery pack, and it worked great!

20231025_234116229_iOS.jpg
20231025_234351972_iOS (Large).jpg

Reactions: Rchawks
Connecting the USB fan to the drone would only make the drones battery get hotter anyway. Not a good Idea to connect it to the drone itself. Your cooling the drone, but making it hot at the same time.

I never worry about the heat when doing firmware updates. If the drone could get damaged from the heat, the drone company wouldn't recommend drone updates without advising the buyer to use something to cool the drone during updates.

@kiley its not about the fact, that the drone could be damaged ,during an update ,but because if it reaches a certain temperature, it will shut down ,and the update will not take place
there is no internal fan in the Mini drones to assist with cooling ,so having a small desk fan, blowing over the drone prevents the issue from arising

Connecting the USB fan to the drone would only make the drones battery get hotter anyway. Not a good Idea to connect it to the drone itself. Your cooling the drone, but making it hot at the same time.

I never worry about the heat when doing firmware updates. If the drone could get damaged from the heat, the drone company wouldn't recommend drone updates without advising the buyer to use something to cool the drone during updates.

The USB fan isn't going to pull enough "juice" to greatly increase the heat created from the battery. Remember this setup is designed to power 4 high draw motors non-stop during flight. The draw from a small USB fan is miniscule in comparison to how the system is designed.

Adding "external cooling" is a very good idea IMHO.

The USB fan isn't going to pull enough "juice" to greatly increase the heat created from the battery. Remember this setup is designed to power 4 high draw motors non-stop during flight. The draw from a small USB fan is miniscule in comparison to how the system is designed.

Adding "external cooling" is a very good idea IMHO.
Good point

@kiley its not about the fact, that the drone could be damaged ,during an update ,but because if it reaches a certain temperature, it will shut down ,and the update will not take place
there is no internal fan in the Mini drones to assist with cooling ,so having a small desk fan, blowing over the drone prevents the issue from arising
Didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me.

Reactions: old man mavic
You mean the same company that doesn't include a Battery charger with a storage charge option. Shortening the life of them unless you know better
:rolleyes:

You mean the same company that doesn't include a Battery charger with a storage charge option. Shortening the life of them unless you know better
:rolleyes:
That reminds me. Wouldn't the warranty cover the drone if damaged during a firmware update do to heat buildup? This may not be related, but I recently had a fly away with a mav 3 enterprise. I took off to 50ft, then suddenly a mesage popped up on the screen, I don't recall what it said. The drone then suddenly turned, decreased altitued and landed in a swamp. It was unretrievable. I sent the flight logs to DJI. They determined it to be a mechanical/computer malfunction and sent a brand new enterprise to me for free, under warranty. I couldn't believe it. I didn't have to use my care refresh.

That reminds me. Wouldn't the warranty cover the drone if damaged during a firmware update do to heat buildup? This may not be related, but I recently had a fly away with a mav 3 enterprise. I took off to 50ft, then suddenly a mesage popped up on the screen, I don't recall what it said. The drone then suddenly turned, decreased altitued and landed in a swamp. It was unretrievable. I sent the flight logs to DJI. They determined it to be a mechanical/computer malfunction and sent a brand new enterprise to me for free, under warranty. I couldn't believe it. I didn't have to use my care refresh.
They probably would replace your drone if it overheated on the table BUT You Enterprise customers always get the VIP treatment ;)

Those with 3d printers, note there are a few brackets on sites like printables for mounting 4cm or 8cm USB fans on the Mini 4 Pros

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne