DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB Type A or Micro USB?

Dunning

Reactions
I am receiving my MavMount tomorrow and am wondering if it matters if I use the USB Type A or Micro USB? Is one better than the other? I know when I activated my new Mavic 2 Pro I tried using my iPad into the USB Type A and it would not show that I was connected. I then had to use my iPhone into the Micro USB port to get it activated. I am just wondering if it matters which port I use. Which one do you guys use, and why?
Thanks

I am receiving my MavMount tomorrow and am wondering if it matters if I use the USB Type A or Micro USB? Is one better than the other? I know when I activated my new Mavic 2 Pro I tried using my iPad into the USB Type A and it would not show that I was connected. I then had to use my iPhone into the Micro USB port to get it activated. I am just wondering if it matters which port I use. Which one do you guys use, and why?
Thanks

The USB Type A port does not work unless you completely remove the cable from the micro port. It does not matter if there is no device connected at the other end.

That said, I use the micro when using a small device that mounts in the clips and use the Type A when using my tablet.

What @Chopstix Kid said about the side cable. IMHO take it out and leave it out. Too many threads where the side cable caused problems either intermittent or hard. Again IMHO not worth the chance of failure.
And
What @Prmath said about the bottom port to whatever. Anker cables seem to have the best reputation if you plan to invest in a new cable.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Jon Mir
The USB Type A port does not work unless you completely remove the cable from the micro port. It does not matter if there is no device connected at the other end.

That said, I use the micro when using a small device that mounts in the clips and use the Type A when using my tablet.
good to know

Took me a while to figure that one out. What's weird is that it does still provide power, even if no data.

Took me a while to figure that one out. What's weird is that it does still provide power, even if no data.

Others have stated that this was the same behavior in the original Mavic series. My guess is that there is insertion detection similar to that of a headphone jack as it would be easier than to code device detection in the RC firmware. They possibly did to prevent someone from trying to run two devices simultaneously.

What @Chopstix Kid said about the side cable. IMHO take it out and leave it out. Too many threads where the side cable caused problems either intermittent or hard. Again IMHO not worth the chance of failure.
And
What @Prmath said about the bottom port to whatever. Anker cables seem to have the best reputation if you plan to invest in a new cable.

Never had Any issues with Anker products

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1