DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB w Android, drains RC controller, Fine w iPhone

Dougcjohn

Reactions
New to site and Mavic. Tried both Note 8 and iPhone 6s+, nice behavior of Android with Go4 software but it drains controller battery. Don’t see how to turn off battery charging on Android. The iPhone works fine without charging. I prefer my Note8 over iPhone but not if it robs battery from controller. Anyone see how to stop usb charginging on Android ?

You can't is the easiest answer

You can root it and install an app to do it but if its your everyday device its not recommended

You can cut one of the 4 wires in the cable, black (ground) is supposed to stop it

Close all other apps and put in airplane mode. Using my Samsung Tab A I can drain three Mavic batteries and have plenty of my RC battery left.

The RC will fully recharge faster than charging a single battery, so I just put it on the charger with my last (4th) battery...so I lose no flying time that I wouldn't have anyways. You can also charge the RC via USB/car charger/power bank.

I get 4 full flights out of an RC charge, using an Android phone. iPhone users will tell you that they get more, but not usually 5 flights....so the difference is minor -- you'd be putting it on the charger after 4 flights anyways.

I get 4 full flights out of an RC charge, using an Android phone. iPhone users will tell you that they get more, but not usually 5 flights....so the difference is minor -- you'd be putting it on the charger after 4 flights anyways.

Depends on phone, I have tried flying with 3 different android phones and they drain the RC at different rates, Samsung s6, Sony xz, le s3

Reactions: Montypaks
Depends on phone, I have tried flying with 3 different android phones and they drain the RC at different rates, Samsung s6, Sony xz, le s3
Have you had any that would drain the RC so much that you can't get 4 flights (88 minutes) flying time?

I have a OnePlus3, and I suspect it would draw a lot -- I rarely get a charge to last a half day in frequent use.

Thanks all to info. Just noticed other similar thread... sorry for the duplication. I’d agree, some Androids must be different and I’m leaning towards the ones that may have the rapid charge circuit. On 1st day, With all batteries topped off (4 Mavic, Controller, Note8) I was able to fly 3 batteries without noticing any controller charge, as a newbie I didn’t think controller would be a major concern. I stopped to absorb the flights mentally, not due to batteries. Charged everything for 2nd day except phone because it had mid-50%... again not a concern not knowing this was an issue. Attempting flight on 2nd battery and Controller was drained with alert. I’ve noticed a rapid discharge with Note8 on several sessions, and switched to iPhone as test as was surprised at the difference.

Thanks all to info. Just noticed other similar thread... sorry for the duplication. I’d agree, some Androids must be different and I’m leaning towards the ones that may have the rapid charge circuit. On 1st day, With all batteries topped off (4 Mavic, Controller, Note8) I was able to fly 3 batteries without noticing any controller charge, as a newbie I didn’t think controller would be a major concern. I stopped to absorb the flights mentally, not due to batteries. Charged everything for 2nd day except phone because it had mid-50%... again not a concern not knowing this was an issue. Attempting flight on 2nd battery and Controller was drained with alert. I’ve noticed a rapid discharge with Note8 on several sessions, and switched to iPhone as test as was surprised at the difference.
Yup, there seem to be a few threads about the topic right now...and though it is always being discussed, there are more threads about rapid discharge lately -- which leads me to believe that maybe the current firmware has an issue with power management (?)
In any case, I always have a power bank with me for a variety of devices -- ie I can charge my phone, RC, Fuji camera batteries, Sony NC headphones, GoPro Session, all with this one device, multiple times. It has become a must-have item, particularly when traveling. I use this one, but there are others out there -- Anker is just a well regarded brand; I've had mine for two years of flawless service.

Speaking of note 8, it's USB-C. I am not up to date on all the details but if I am not wrong it should support USB PD (power delivery) as in it would negotiate how much per it can draw from the other end, depressing on the phone and how it's negotiating it's in charge rate, and how the RC responds (this is the real reason imo) I can imagine would discharge at different rates for different phones. If it were USB c on both ends, you could have had your phone charge your controller by making your phone the power source and the controller the drain. Just as I can charge my MacBook with my pixel.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Hi there, I'm also a new owner and have experencied exactly what you described this very weekend. I have the Note 3 (ancient I know) and a brand new Mavic that i've been flying this weekend, it was also draining my battery. Anyways what I found was if you use a normal usb cable plugged into the centre of the controller, found under the controller then the other end to your phone, it should then still work without the charging. Hope this helps. Happy flying!

Have you had any that would drain the RC so much that you can't get 4 flights (88 minutes) flying time?

Yes samsung about 45m, Sony 55m, not sure with le yet over 60

But I always carry my 20ah battery, charge RC whilst flying

if I am not wrong it should support USB PD (power delivery) as in it would negotiate how much per it can draw from the other end

Not done much with USB in the last 7 years but it used to be anything that needed >100ma had to handshake using the data lines, I think now it checks for resistance between a data line and a power line

Yes samsung about 45m, Sony 55m, not sure with le yet over 60

But I always carry my 20ah battery, charge RC whilst flying
45m? Do you mean it takes 45minutes out of your controller leaving you with barely one maybe two flight left?

Wouldn't using a fully charged phone prevent this from happening?

I have this USB duel charger that connects to the Mavic battery (from AliExpress or ebay) and after you have used your first battery then just connect it to the USB duel charger and plug into the RC and use the remaining 30% of your Mavic bato keep your RC topped up. It doesn't use very much of your Mavics battery at all and you can swap it out to the second one after that flight.
Just put battery in back pocket with long USB lead. Saves carrying around xtra charge packs.
85a5a867ca1e42b40de6bff3cc14f60b.jpg

45m? Do you mean it takes 45minutes out of your controller leaving you with barely one maybe two flight left?

Wouldn't using a fully charged phone prevent this from happening?
that's roughly how long it takes to go from RC being 100% down to about 15% & beeping

I have this USB duel charger that connects to the Mavic battery (from AliExpress or ebay) and after you have used your first battery then just connect it to the USB duel charger and plug into the RC and use the remaining 30% of your Mavic bato keep your RC topped up. It doesn't use very much of your Mavics battery at all and you can swap it out to the second one after that flight.
Just put battery in back pocket with long USB lead. Saves carrying around xtra charge packs.
85a5a867ca1e42b40de6bff3cc14f60b.jpg
Think I'll get this... Thanks for the tip. It looks like a car charger actually...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada