DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of cached maps in remote areas

I don't turn my mavic or controller on to cache the maps. I simply open the Go app on my phone while it still has Internet then connect to the camera view. It will obviously be blank, then maximize the map view and scroll to the area where I'll be flying. I'll zoom in to get good details then slowly scroll around the map. You'll see it slowly downloading all the satellite images. I still use Dji go version 3.01 though because I don't like the Here Maps.

Never tried with just turning the Go app on... I will try that... also, yes the HERE Maps suck...

I just bought an Apple certified Bluetooth GPS receiver for using with my wifi only iPad, the GNS 2000. I prefer to rely on external gps system instead of using the phone as a hot spot.

You really should consider selling your ipad and buying one with a cellular radio in it to get the GPS if you want to be able to change the RTH point to a new location mid flight. Or buy the external GPS, the one benefit of the external GPS is you can use it for future devices, but its another thing to charge and carry around.
I ended up going with a Garmin Glo GPS receiver. Connects via bluetooth. It has a 12 hour battery life. I have only tested it once in the field and things went quite well.

The problem (under Android at least) is that Here maps as used by the GO app are only cached for their street map part, not for the satellite images. At most airfields these street maps are just useless. Even the Here app doesn't cache satellite images at all.
The only workaround actually available is using a third-party app which is still based on Google Maps, such as Litchi.

Reactions: Cimriver
Buy a used android device, almost all have GPS. You still won't get updated maps but you will have GPS. I use an old Galaxy Note 4. It works great. It has a 5.7 inch screen oled screen that's extremely bright in direct sunlight as a bonus and it also takes a micro sd card for virtually unlimited storage.
I bought a gsm SIM card for data only where there is service

Sent from my LG-H918 using MavicPilots mobile app

The problem (under Android at least) is that Here maps as used by the GO app are only cached for their street map part, not for the satellite images. At most airfields these street maps are just useless. Even the Here app doesn't cache satellite images at all.
The only workaround actually available is using a third-party app which is still based on Google Maps, such as Litchi.
Litchi is the only app I have tried to use cached Google maps. Works quite well. I read somewhere online that you can cache up to 35 square miles. The maps I have cached have been about 20MB.

Wow, this is an interesting AND very confusing topic. Having not yet purchased a Mavic, will all this mapping, gps, hotspot stuff be more apparent and understandable when I actually have all the hardware in hand? I hope so, as I've got smoke coming out of my ears at the moment. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I think it should be pretty easy, for DJI, to allow users to select the local maps they would have already on their device.
I use MAPS.ME (free on Google PLAY) which allows anybody to download the maps they desire.
If only I could select this map (my region) straight into the DJI GO app, I would be happy with my Shield that has no data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirilin