DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used a Drop Kit to Get Supplies to Self Isolating Neighbors

Kbviper

Reactions
I had purchased a drop kit on eBay several months ago and while I had tried it on the drone to ensure it worked, I had never tried to carry anything outdoors with it.

My wife and I are both working from home on laptops. A family with two young kids who lives nearby recently came back from out of the country are required to self isolate.

I did a trial flight indoors with a can of beer that I then flew down to the neighbors back deck which is within VLOS. That went well and I did three more runs bringing juice boxes,
cereal bars, and other items for their kids, which were much appreciated.

Used a Mavic Enterprise Zoom. Drop kit worked very well. Yes, I could have walked the items down and left it outside their door, but I wanted to ensure that the drop kit worked properly and get some experience using it.

Link to Drop Kit: 1 Set Mini High Quality Air Drop System Remote Delivery For DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom | eBay

I will try to insert a link to the video: https://youtu.be/JnF0c0It4UI

Last edited:
This is soooo cool - I wonder if any of my neighbours need me to deliver any wafer biscuits using my Mavic Mini? ? That Mavic 2 certainly has some lifting capacity!

This is soooo cool - I wonder if any of my neighbours need me to deliver any wafer biscuits using my Mavic Mini? ? That Mavic 2 certainly has some lifting capacity!

I was not sure what the lifting capacity of the Mavic Enterprise would be. I had read that it could carry a pound. I weighed each load on a kitchen scale before attaching it.

The last load with a number of drink boxes weighed in at 1 lb 13 ozs, and it was obvious that the MEZ was straining under that load. Very early on in the flight I got a warning message: (From the flight uploaded in Airdata)

E03m 18s10.8 ft62 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding

I pressed on, having to keep the left stick up to keep flying, because it was not far, I did not have to fly high, and could drop the load if I got in trouble.

I also had a lot of these, but it flew on:

It was a good "proof of concept" exercise. I would say about a pound would be a reasonable payload for that unit. Learned a number of other lessons, such as put the payload behind, not out to the side, take off, back over the payload, and lift straight up to avoid swinging and the pendulum effect that is visible in the takeoff of the first flight.

I had purchased a drop kit on eBay several months ago and while I had tried it on the drone to ensure it worked, I had never tried to carry anything outdoors with it.

My wife and I are both working from home on laptops. A family with two young kids who lives nearby recently came back from out of the country are required to self isolate.

I did a trial flight indoors with a can of beer that I then flew down to the neighbors back deck which is within VLOS. That went well and I did three more runs bringing juice boxes,

Used a Mavic Enterprise Zoom. Drop kit worked very well. Yes, I could have walked the items down and left it outside their door, but I wanted to ensure that the drop kit worked properly and get some experience using it.

Link to Drop Kit: 1 Set Mini High Quality Air Drop System Remote Delivery For DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom | eBay

just purchased one after watching your video … thanks for posting!

Going to be doing the same thing but I’m using my Phantoms with Gannet releases. They’re used to drop fishing bait but I can carry up to Kilo of weight.
Keep up the good work??

cereal bars, and other items for their kids, which were much appreciated

I am not understanding why the can of beer was not appreciated. ? It looks like it should have been sufficiently chilled for enjoyment. ;)

Going to be doing the same thing but I’m using my Phantoms with Gannet releases. They’re used to drop fishing bait but I can carry up to Kilo of weight.
Keep up the good work??
Thanks, and good luck with the Phantoms. Had a neighbour this afternoon who posted online she needed a lemon for something she wanted to cook. We had a spare. It was a miserable day out. Light snow, just below freezing, and wind gusting at just over 30 mph. Delivered by drone no problem. Take off to back and landed was less than 2 min and within VLOS.

Reactions: jeepcj
Semper Fi Jeff and Hey KB thats very cool what your doing for your neighbor and your having a ball doing it. I think the dog is having fun too.

Fun!!

I have purchased the same drop kit from amazon, I've installed the item quikly but I've two problems:
1) if I put a medium size object as payload under the Mavic 2 the landing vision sensor detect the object as terrain, so the drone can't low the flyight height. Have you face the same issue? If yes have you disabled the landing protection system or tried any other solution?
2) If I go too far the drop system doesn't work, I don't now if it's releated to the previous problem or is the kit that doesn't work. If a try to use the system near the landing point everything is ok.

Thank you for your reply

I have purchased the same drop kit from amazon, I've installed the item quikly but I've two problems:
1) if I put a medium size object as payload under the Mavic 2 the landing vision sensor detect the object as terrain, so the drone can't low the flyight height. Have you face the same issue? If yes have you disabled the landing protection system or tried any other solution?
2) If I go too far the drop system doesn't work, I don't now if it's releated to the previous problem or is the kit that doesn't work. If a try to use the system near the landing point everything is ok.

Thank you for your reply

1) How far down are you hanging the item? I used about a 3 foot cord and never had a problem with the landing sensor using both the can of beer and a plastic grocery bag with items in it. I did have the collision sensors disabled.
2) As long as you have a good signal to the drone enabling video and controlling it, you should be able to turn the lights on, activating the drop mechanism. I found a metal paper clip or a key ring best to tie the cord to and put in the drop mechanism. When I tried a piece of coated wire twisted into a loop, it sometimes bound on the rod and did not drop.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Reactions: pelagic_one

Cool! If you can fly that beer here?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet