DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used drone purchase, reset and testing?

The_Gregors

Reactions
Hello all,

I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro off of Ebay, it should be here Tuesday. I am wondering if there is a “reset” procedure or anything I need to do to make sure the logs for future flights are associated with my DJI account. I have already signed into my DJI account in the Go 4 App (iOS) for when I fly with the standard controller. I also have a smart controller (different purchase) it is on it’s way. Once I get the M2P and get the firmware updated, does anybody have any suggestions of tests I should perform, just to make sure the aircraft is functioning normally? I have an Air2S, but purchased it new and just flew it normally, I want to make sure and test any “issues” that my M2P may have. Thank you.

Tests I can think of:
Basic hover stability test
Distance with solid signal, (note, I never fly more than about 1,000 m)
Photo quality test
Photo adjustable aperture test
Video quality test
Cinematic video flight test(s)
flight test each of the batteries, review battery log data in AirData

Once I get the M2P and get the firmware updated,
Why not check the firmware when it arrives, then test it’s abilities.
At that point, you could research the release notes for the other firmware versions to verify if they provide something that you feel may be missing.
There are times when updating can provide other than beneficial results.

Reactions: pchaps
I do not know of a single button reset procedure that covers everything, as in resets the drone and controller to factory condition. But I think it is possible to "reset to factory condition" some sections of the camera control and possibly the gimbal via reset buttons in the Go4 App.

BUT I STRONGLY suggest you go through all the App menus and at least check their settings, ESPECIALLY the controller's stick mode, the response to a disconnection (fail safe), and the response to the CSC position in regards to stopping the motors in flight.
Mine had the fail safe set to hover!!!!!!! that would have been an EEEK moment for me.
It is VITAL that those three are at least be checked.

PS edit. It might be an idea to check the control sticks EXP settings too, youmay not have played with those via FLY app 1.5.4 and later but they have always been adjustable in the M2P and the previous owner kay have set them to their own preference.

You will find the Go4 App very different from and probably a lot better than the FLY app.

I would suggest that if you do not use obstacle avoidance (OA) with the Air 2s then you should initially turn it off on the M2P. If you are testing near your house and or in confined spaces OA is a pain. if you are testing indoors then be aware of the upward looking OA, it can cause you headaches or in suitable circumstances prevent the drone from taking off.
You can not, as far as I know, turn the upward looking OA off but from memory it is inactive in sports mode but sports mode is not for indoor flying lol.

Unless trees, or buildings or terrain get in the way I would be surprised if you have any connection issues within your range limit.

I would also suggest you read the RTH section of the manual thoroughly, the M2P's RTH behaviour can be altered by some of the other settings available, I forget which but scared myself with one of them. The failsafe RTH can contain a significant delay that is worrying if you are unaware of it, trees caused my disconnection.

Last edited:
Rise to say 30m and try a panorama because that will put the drone; gimbal; and SD card; through their paces.

If you want to do a factory reset, download the 'Assistant 2' V1.1.2 and you can do a Factory Reset.
Then use 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' V2.0.14 to Update the drone to the latest firmware.
Now check all your settings RTH height etc.

I do not know of a single button reset procedure that covers everything, as in resets the drone and controller to factory condition. But I think it is possible to "reset to factory condition" some sections of the camera control and possibly the gimbal via reset buttons in the Go4 App.

BUT I STRONGLY suggest you go through all the App menus and at least check their settings, ESPECIALLY the controller's stick mode, the response to a disconnection (fail safe), and the response to the CSC position in regards to stopping the motors in flight.
Mine had the fail safe set to hover!!!!!!! that would have been an EEEK moment for me.
It is VITAL that those three are at least be checked.

PS edit. It might be an idea to check the control sticks EXP settings too, youmay not have played with those via FLY app 1.5.4 and later but they have always been adjustable in the M2P and the previous owner kay have set them to their own preference.

You will find the Go4 App very different from and probably a lot better than the FLY app.

I would suggest that if you do not use obstacle avoidance (OA) with the Air 2s then you should initially turn it off on the M2P. If you are testing near your house and or in confined spaces OA is a pain. if you are testing indoors then be aware of the upward looking OA, it can cause you headaches or in suitable circumstances prevent the drone from taking off.
You can not, as far as I know, turn the upward looking OA off but from memory it is inactive in sports mode but sports mode is not for indoor flying lol.

Unless trees, or buildings or terrain get in the way I would be surprised if you have any connection issues within your range limit.

I would also suggest you read the RTH section of the manual thoroughly, the M2P's RTH behaviour can be altered by some of the other settings available, I forget which but scared myself with one of them. The failsafe RTH can contain a significant delay that is worrying if you are unaware of it, trees caused my disconnection.
Thanks for the great info on suggestions for used drone testing. I also bought M2P (and M2Z) during the last 2 weeks. Im sure that others will be helped too!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929