DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used Mavic Mini now - worth it?

haga1981

Reactions
I am ready to pull the trigger on a nice very lightly used MM the fly-more version with the extra charger and the 3 batteries.

I am guessing that because of the MM2 many owners of the original version are looking to upgrade therefore many MMs have become available in the used market.

What I would like to know is whether the Mark.I version is still a good buy today. When it comes to my expectations, nothing too fancy, as this would be my first drone.

I need it to be as small and travel friendly as possible with decent enough fly-ability, image quality & flight time.

My main concerns are:
  • Is the price difference worth it? Price of used MM fly-more combo version about 25% less of a new MM2 (not combo version)
  • Are the range/remote connection problems still present (any firmware upgrades) in the MM (EU/CE Version)?
  • Is the app 1.2.1 (Android) that I see now for download really that bad?
  • Can I check compatibility of my 2 phones with the app? I have an older Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro and a new Redmi 8 Note Pro (ideally would like to use the older phone)
Any feedback you can provide, suggestions etc. would be most welcome

Thank you in advance

the connection issue is only a problem if flying far, or if in a densely populated area with a lot other signals. i have the MM1 FMC and have had any issues. i loved it, but have it listed for sale cause how the year is going financially.

as for the app compatible with phone. if the app downloads onto the phone, than it should work

The same app is used for MA2 and MM2, so if app compatibility is a concern in getting the MM1, you'll have the same issue with MM2.

Download the app, install and run it all the way to camera view. You won't have all options show up and of course no video/telemetry but that should be a good indicator if it's compatible.
I did just that when MM1 was released but before I got one so I could be of help. I ended up getting one since applying common knowledge of Mavics wasn't enough.

Download the app, install and run it all the way to camera view. You won't have all options show up and of course no video/telemetry but that should be a good indicator if it's compatible.
That didn't work with my 5se and my Air 1 ..you would think it would but I spent several day's finding out it didn't.. :(

That didn't work with my 5se and my Air 1 ..you would think it would but I spent several day's finding out it didn't.. :(
Good to know this. Perhaps then since we are talking about a used piece best thing to do would be to try it and make sure that everything works first.

I can’t help you with Android, but I’ve had MM now for almost a year and love it. The overwhelming problems you hear about them is either pilot error, flying in more wind than they can handle, or poor storage technique. Having said that, if money were not the issue, I’d go with an Air2 as first choice or Mini2 as second choice. Best wishes!

Thanks for all replies, since money is an issue especially considering the very limited use I am foreseeing I have to go for the MM1.

On this topic, I am planning on checking battery status to establish a good battery health (will be bought used after all) and confirm a low-ish amount of recharging cycles. Not sure if total flight time is mentioned in the DJI fly app anywhere but perhaps this figure is not so important if the battery cycles are indeed low.

Anything else to be on the lookout for?

Ask how it’s been stored. The case has been known to deform the props but that’s an entirely different thread. Use the search feature to research that. Re charging cycles: I’ve read on this forum about guys with an insane amount of recharges and the batteries are still going strong. The profile of my MM indicates 212 flights with all batteries still behaving as per flight number 1. Having said that, if you can do a test flight before purchase, you can check the battery health, which also involves storage technique. That also is covered in other threads that you can research. In a perfect world, I’d like to fly it before purchase and if it flies well, without signs of a significant crash, I’d be completely comfortable. I’m not sure I’ve ever read about someone wearing out their DJI drone but others can provide more information on that one. JMHO. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Depends on your budget. The Mini2 is stronger both in motor and construction.
I have both and love them both. My ranking is Mini2 over MM and always fly more package over just single drone package. The Mini 2 is more versatile for higher winds and flies more smoothly in higher winds, otherwise the Mini will probably suit your need just fine.

I was in the same camp as you. I liked what I saw about the MM2, but as this is my first camera drone and I wanted the extra batteries, the MM2 Flymore was more than I wanted to spend for the first time out, so I ended up getting a gently used MM1 flymore combo used, and it has been great so far.

Reactions: NG Wildman
With regards to the stuck up a tree mini. If the motor problem was something 'fixed' by lubrication then in all honesty I think it's a failure waiting to happen. If the wd40 blast just dislodged something cause a motor stick then maybe they got away with it but where did the something go?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972