DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a dedicated smartphone with the Air 2 and Fly app

BobbyLashley

Reactions
How does this work? Do I just run my own personal phone as a wifi hotspot and then tether the phone used for the Mavic Air 2 and Fly app to get an internet connection?

Has anyone had any stability issues if say your own personal phone is in your pocket?

How does this work? Do I just run my own personal phone as a wifi hotspot and then tether the phone used for the Mavic Air 2 and Fly app to get an internet connection?

Has anyone had any stability issues if say your own personal phone is in your pocket?
What is it your trying to do ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

What is it your trying to do ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

Basically will be picking up an older phone to use just for the Mavic Air 2 to run with the Fly app. Don't like using my personal phone for this.

I believe you need an internet connection to run the DJI Fly app, so wondering if tethering it to my personal phone is the best way to do this.

Reactions: natgild
Basically will be picking up an older phone to use just for the Mavic Air 2 to run with the Fly app. Don't like using my personal phone for this.

I believe you need an internet connection to run the DJI Fly app, so wondering if tethering it to my personal phone is the best way to do this.
You don't need any internet connection of any kind in order to use the FLY app ... or fly your MA2. The only benefit of having a connected screen device is that you get the maps updated on the fly.

Hi Bobby, I have a similar setting with a galaxy note 9 (screen cracked) and decided to use it as a stand alone drone "no sim card" phone. If I want the maps to update I will use a wifi hotspot but as other mentioned, you do not need to have a connection. Good luck. :)

The only Internet you need - WiFi - is to download the FlyApp #1 and receive any future updates from DJI.

I'd highly recommend getting a tablet that can work with the FlyApp and an aluminum arm (off Amazon - do not get the cheap plastic ones) to hold it on the RC. Phones are so small and you'll find that out quickly - so if you want a dedicated screen - move up to a tablet now and not worry about it later. I have a Lenovo M10 that is only Wi-Fi capable to connect to my home Wi-Fi for doing updates on the drone / app. Works fine and nice big screen. One of the cheaper tablets as well compared to an iPad.

You don't need any internet connection of any kind in order to use the FLY app ... or fly your MA2. The only benefit of having a connected screen device is that you get the maps updated on the fly.

Thanks, good to know this. I remember when I had the Mavic Pro 1 years ago it required an internet connection.

Hi Bobby, I have a similar setting with a galaxy note 9 (screen cracked) and decided to use it as a stand alone drone "no sim card" phone. If I want the maps to update I will use a wifi hotspot but as other mentioned, you do not need to have a connection. Good luck. :)

Note 9 fits well on the Air 2 RC but I'm selling mine this morning as I got a very good offer for it and may buy an ipad mini 5 to replace it for just a few bucks more. Will have to see.

Seems hard to find Android tablets that have 64bit OS.

The only Internet you need - WiFi - is to download the FlyApp #1 and receive any future updates from DJI.

I'd highly recommend getting a tablet that can work with the FlyApp and an aluminum arm (off Amazon - do not get the cheap plastic ones) to hold it on the RC. Phones are so small and you'll find that out quickly - so if you want a dedicated screen - move up to a tablet now and not worry about it later. I have a Lenovo M10 that is only Wi-Fi capable to connect to my home Wi-Fi for doing updates on the drone / app. Works fine and nice big screen. One of the cheaper tablets as well compared to an iPad.

I do agree that phones are too small of a screen to see especially since we hold the drone RC an arms length. But I've yet to find any tablet that has a bright enough screen that's actually viewable in bright day light. If you know of one, let me know and I will consider it. Your Lenovo is 64bit Android? You don't find that it makes your RC front heavy with the extra weight of the M10?

I do like the quick set up though of using a phone. With a tablet, it takes more time to set up the tablet mount and then set up the tablet. But I agree a tablet is better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter