DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a Mavic Air and iphone overseas

choiahoy

Reactions
I bought a mavic air a few weeks back with plans to do a lot of shooting on vacation in Bonaire next week.

But then while on a practice flight, I realized that I usually keep my phone on "airplane mode" with the wifi enabled when traveling overseas to avoid cellular charges but keeping the ability to connect via wifi.

Will this be a problem when using the mavic air? What settings do you use on your phone when wanting to avoid roaming charges?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a mavic air a few weeks back with plans to do a lot of shooting on vacation in Bonaire next week.

But then while on a practice flight, I realized that I usually keep my phone on "airplane mode" with the wifi enabled when traveling overseas to avoid cellular charges but keeping the ability to connect via wifi.

Will this be a problem when using the mavic air? What settings do you use on your phone when wanting to avoid roaming charges?

Thanks in advance.
You will be fine with the current settings that you described. Roaming charges only apply with your service provider, however if you want to use your maps, I would suggest you cache them first while using your wifi in a hotel or wifi hotspot before flying.

Reactions: choiahoy
In addition to caching the maps, make sure you're logged into DJI GO before leaving a location that has Wi-Fi access. When not logged in, the altitude and distance will be restricted.

In addition to caching the maps, make sure you're logged into DJI GO before leaving a location that has Wi-Fi access. When not logged in, the altitude and distance will be restricted.

Msinger...just to clarify. I’m heading to the Caribbean on vacation next month and will be taking my Mavic Air with me. I will have WiFi at the resort but will probably fly in full Airplane Mode. So...if I’m in my hotel room with the Mavic Air off, I would open the DJI Go 4 app and cache my maps while on WiFi. Then when I go to fly in full Airplane. Mode, will I have any issues being restricted on distance? I wasn’t sure if just the app had to connect to the internet just that once in my hotel room or if the app and the drone powered on and connected had to connect to the internet. Thank you.

will I have any issues being restricted on distance?
If you open the DJI GO app and it does not prompt you to log in, then you're good to go. DJI GO should remember you're logged in as long as you don't manually log out or reinstall DJI GO.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
If you open the DJI GO app and it does not prompt you to log in, then you're good to go. DJI GO should remember you're logged in as long as you don't manually log out or reinstall DJI GO.

Awesome. Thank you so much!!! You rock!

You will be fine with the current settings that you described. Roaming charges only apply with your service provider, however if you want to use your maps, I would suggest you cache them first while using your wifi in a hotel or wifi hotspot before flying.

Just curious, maybe dumb question. how does one cache maps?

Just curious, maybe dumb question. how does one cache maps?

There is an option in your settings to turn for cache maps. Then while you’re on WiFi, open the DJI Go 4 app, open the map, go to your desired flying area, zoom in to your liking and move the map around your designated flying area. You’ll see the map go from blurry to sharp and that means it’s cached. I usually do multiple zoom levels and it works out just fine on my iPad Mini 4.

;)

Bonair is a fabulous place. Loads of interesting places to fly, from sandy lagoons to rocky coasts... and don’t miss the flamingos!

Bonair is a fabulous place. Loads of interesting places to fly, from sandy lagoons to rocky coasts... and don’t miss the flamingos!

Can't wait! An ND32 was just delivered to my door...from my test flights, I was thinking that with the bright sun and the salt flats, I might need it.

Has anyone shot in the bright Caribbean sun? Was a ND16 enough?

Can't wait! An ND32 was just delivered to my door...from my test flights, I was thinking that with the bright sun and the salt flats, I might need it.

Has anyone shot in the bright Caribbean sun? Was a ND16 enough?
I have done work in the Florida Keys and with clients in Jamaica and we found that the ND16 had the better result. 32 may be a bit to dark.
If your doing lots of beach with a high reflection, 32 may be the choice.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d