DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

using a phone on DJI Mini

Roby

Reactions
when using a mobile phone on a DJI Mini, does it need to be in flight mode or dont answer if it rings cheers Rob

Airplane mode has its advantages.
Less distraction when someone rings.

when using a mobile phone on a DJI Mini, does it need to be in flight mode or dont answer if it rings cheers Rob

Here you go

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
Personally I can't put my android into airplane mode as for some reason I lose the ability to change modes (c, p, s) AND the gimbal display on my phone disappears!
No idea why, thoroughly tested to prove but no fix found!

Annoyingly, I think I'm the only person in the world it happens to!!!

But theoretically it makes no difference to the ability of your flying if you have it on or off

Other than the early days of the Fly app, not had any (app) crashes and even when I did, the mini hovered while I quickly relaunched the app.

Not noticed any signal issues at a distance either, then again I'm not trying to get into the Guinness Book of Records ?

Several days ago I was sitting beneath my Mavic Mini (which was at 200' AGL) while it took an image of the sunrise every 10 seconds. I was just hanging out, letting it do its thing, watching the battery. I was on my second battery when my brother called. The drone seemed to be fine, doing its own thing, so I took the call which lasted several minutes, after which the phone app disappeared and I was right back in the DJI Fly app, looking at the view from my Mini. The phone call did not disrupt the flight at all and I eventually landed, changed batteries and put it in the air again. There are not many situations where I would take a call while flying the drone. In fact, this may be the only situation I can think of. LOL Happy flying
EDIT: My little Mini kept taking pictures every 10 seconds the whole time I was on the phone. It's an automated task so there was no gap, no break in sequence...

Several days ago I was sitting beneath my Mavic Mini (which was at 200' AGL) while it took an image of the sunrise every 10 seconds. I was just hanging out, letting it do its thing, watching the battery. I was on my second battery when my brother called. The drone seemed to be fine, doing its own thing, so I took the call which lasted several minutes, after which the phone app disappeared and I was right back in the DJI Fly app, looking at the view from my Mini. The phone call did not disrupt the flight at all and I eventually landed, changed batteries and put it in the air again. There are not many situations where I would take a call while flying the drone. In fact, this may be the only situation I can think of. LOL Happy flying
EDIT: My little Mini kept taking pictures every 10 seconds the whole time I was on the phone. It's an automated task so there was no gap, no break in sequence...

I didnt know the mini had that option to take one every 10 seconds... I missed it lol I now use hyperlpase settings on the air 2.. i should go back and play with that on the mini.

Wanna see the results!

Wanna see the results!
Ok, when I figure out the post processing. ? Here's one of the four hundred and some odd that were taken during that hour or so...

Attachments

• DJI_0633.JPG
    DJI_0633.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
Yes, I was hoping you'd ask! :rolleyes:
I refrained from touching the right joystick completely - except when landing, to hit the pad. I used the left joystick to climb straight up to 222 feet. There's a particular building (with the white roof) that I tried to put in the same spot each time.
With the drone straight up, above the takeoff spot, I used the left stick to rotate the craft to put that building on the right side of the frame, thenI used the gimbal to raise the camera slightly above the horizon, putting that building just above the camera lock icon, on my screen.
I wasn't able to keep it perfectly in place, but watching other hyperlapse videos showed me that some movement from the craft is acceptable...
I did have one instance of rotational drift. That is, the drone rotated slightly, but noticeably, to the left and I had to use the left stick to bring it back. That was the only drift I experienced over three batteries and over 400 images, but I may not be able to use those dozen or so images. I'll see. It was a fairly calm morning with little wind and the Mini never strayed more than 3 or 4 feet from the takeoff point and never changed altitude more than 1 foot. All I had to do was lay back in a lawn chair and keep my eye on the Mini. It was an experiment, a mini-adventure if you will. I'm trying to replicate what others are doing so I'll know if I can do it or not.
Once I put the sequence together (I have found a good tutorial on doing it in photoshop and I still use version CS6) I'll post the result, but I expect a learning curve. I'm sure I'll experience some frustration but the second and subsequent attempts should be easier... Sorry for the long post. Maybe others can offer me tips that will improve my next experience. I don't want to purchase more software. I tried using kinemaster, on my phone, but ran into some roadblocks. It may be due to my ignorance, but I might be asking too much of the phone/app.
Anyway, thanks for asking. Happy flying

Last edited:
Yes, I was hoping you'd ask! :rolleyes:
I refrained from touching the right joystick completely - except when landing, to hit the pad. I used the left joystick to climb straight up to 222 feet. There's a particular building (with the white roof) that I tried to put in the same spot each time.
With the drone straight up, above the takeoff spot, I used the left stick to rotate the craft to put that building on the right side of the frame, thenI used the gimbal to raise the camera slightly above the horizon, putting that building just above the camera lock icon, on my screen.
I wasn't able to keep it perfectly in place, but watching other hyperlapse videos showed me that some movement from the craft is acceptable...
I did have one instance of rotational drift. That is, the drone rotated slightly, but noticeably, to the left and I had to use the left stick to bring it back. That was the only drift I experienced over three batteries and over 400 images, but I may not be able to use those dozen or so images. I'll see. It was a fairly calm morning with little wind and the Mini never stayed more than 3 or 4 feet from the takeoff point and never changed altitude more than 1 foot. All I had to do was lay back in a lawn chair and keep my eye on the Mini. It was an experiment, a mini-adventure if you will. I'm trying to replicate what others are doing so I'll know if I can do it or not.
Once I put the sequence together (I have found a good tutorial on doing it in photoshop and I still use version CS6) I'll post the result, but I expect a learning curve. I'm sure I'll experience some frustration but the second and subsequent attempts should be easier... Sorry for the long post. Maybe others can offer me tips that will improve my next experience. I don't want to purchase more software. I tried using kinemaster, on my phone, but ran into some roadblocks. It may be due to my ignorance, but I might be asking too much of the phone/app.
Anyway, thanks for asking. Happy flying

Kudos for your thorough reply buddy
Keep learning and get those skills honed- then I have someone I can send 400 images to and get a beautiful hyperlapse back ha ha ha

In all seriousness, I've tried something similiar attempting HDR with the mini- 3 shots (1x under exposed, 1x normal, 1x over). My first attempt proved to me how great the mini is at holding it's own in wind, but the shots were unusable as there was too much movement. Got a couple that were better but my "post" skills are fairly non existent and I don't have the time/patience at the mo to learn proper. When this wind dies down, I'm planning on playing around with 3 second shots to get something very basic compared to what you're doing but interested to see how it'll come out. Stitching and stabilising and all that is new to me so results might end up very amatuer but it might be enough to kick me into learning mode!

Read a post about ND1000 filters to get those funky long timed shots but again, it's on the list to maybe try once I've got a few more miles under my belt ;)

Here's a short hyperlapse sequence from that session. You'll see why I'm not happy with it. I've lost some frames - just after the 2 second mark - that interrupt the experience. This was done on my phone and it's not my final effort... Wish me luck

Reactions: ff22 and Lurch003
Here's a short hyperlapse sequence from that session. You'll see why I'm not happy with it. I've lost some frames -just before the 3 second mark - that interrupt the experience. This was done on my phone and it's not my final effort... Wish me luck

Good luck !!!

Problem is with something like that (As you've found) is it takes just one thing to knock the whole project! You'll find a way around it though I'm sure, keep up the good work ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert