DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a phone without internet

Olle73

Reactions
Hello,

Maybe a stupid question from a newcomer, but does the phone connected to the RC has to have internet connection? The reason why I asking is that my phone is quite thick and dosen't really fit the RC. I have an old one, that fits much better, but without internet.

You won't be able to use any features that require being connected to the Internet. For example, you won't be able to stream your flights to YouTube or download the maps in DJI GO in real-time. You could still cache the maps like this if you need to use them.

Reactions: Olle73
You won't be able to use any features that require being connected to the Internet. For example, you won't be able to stream your flights to YouTube or download the maps in DJI GO in real-time. You could still cache the maps like this if you need to use them.

Thanks. So there are some reason to have the internetconnection, Maybe I will make my phone fits better by practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle73
I should have been more specific. The OP asked if "the phone connected to the RC has to have internet connection" and the answer is no. There are however some features that require an internet connection to work. If you are going to connect to the internet, I suggest that you turn off auto-updating so your Go 4 app will not change without your knowledge. DJI is getting better but there have been cases where an unplanned update made the Mavic un-usable. It happened to me.

I do most of my flying out in the nation forest. No cellular connection out there. I cache the maps I need. I prefer to fly with Litchi as I like the way Google maps cache. You do have to have a device that has GPS. Most all phones do. Some tablets don't. I use a bluetooth antenna 0n my iPad Mini 2. Works great.

ok, can someone explain to me what caching maps is, how to do it, and why I should if I use the drone in an area without internet connection. I'm a newbie and don't know all the key phrases and words or places to go get stuff at. I'm going to be taking a trip out to west Texas soon and there is no cell service at all. I use a iPad mini 4 with the controller.

ok, can someone explain to me what caching maps is, how to do it, and why I should if I use the drone in an area without internet connection. I'm a newbie and don't know all the key phrases and words or places to go get stuff at. I'm going to be taking a trip out to west Texas soon and there is no cell service at all. I use a iPad mini 4 with the controller.

Possible to use USB cable?
Cacheing a map

ok, can someone explain to me what caching maps is, how to do it, and why I should if I use the drone in an area without internet connection.
Caching the maps will allow you to see the maps in DJI GO when you're flying in a location where you're mobile device is not connected to the Internet. See this guide if you need instructions on caching the maps:

HOW TO: Cache the maps in DJI GO

Reactions: monchan
One reason I can think of to fly in an area without internet would be out of country. I shot video in the Italian Alps last year (live in the USA) and did not have any access via my phone. In fact, it was in airplane mode.
I intend to do the same in Costa Rica next month

Hi everybody I'm a newer...If got problem what happen If I 'm doing a shooting and somebody call me at the same time killing my shooting can I resolve this using plane mode?

If got problem what happen If I 'm doing a shooting and somebody call me at the same time killing my shooting can I resolve this using plane mode?
An incoming phone call won't interrupt your flight since the Mavic is controlled by the remote controller (and not your phone). It will interrupt whatever you're doing in DJI GO though. If you don't want to be interrupted, then enable airplane mode before taking off.

I forgot to engage everything on cellphone (save battery asleep) before flying but apk assist my senior moment demanding re-engage, so apk pretty assistive. It desires compliance thats why

What about if you need to submit an exception to fly in an FAA zone? You would not be able to do that without internet connection right?

I presume one would need to do that ahead of time? Where did I see that online I forget ...

What about if you need to submit an exception to fly in an FAA zone? You would not be able to do that without internet connection right?

I presume one would need to do that ahead of time? Where did I see that online I forget ...
Figured it out. You can do self unlock online at designated sites prior to your flight for batches of 3 days at a time here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Pretty much same process as doing it on your phone, on-site otherwise.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman