DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a propeller holder during storage?

Hi, apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

Basically, I have the DJI Mini 2 fly more kit, and I tend to use the (official) DJI propeller holder (the thing that looks a bit like a sandal, lol) when I store the Mini 2 away.

I guess this is the officially recommended way of storing the Mini 2, but I can't help buy worry that the pressure placed on the propeller blades (especially those on the upper part of the drone, as folded) might be causing undue stress and lead to warping of the blades? Is that likely to be a thing?

I know it's not a huge amount of clamping pressure (and the blades on the underside of the drone body are less clamped) but they are still not loose enough to be able to move freely.

I guess that's the idea of the propeller holder - to stop the blades moving around during transit (and I tend to carry mine in the DJI bag, in a backpack, riding an MTB so it does get jiggled about a lot). I do get that, and it's good for transit, but what about storage when not out and about? Should the drone be stored unfolded, without any sort of propeller guard gripping the blades? (even the official DJI one)

Has anyone been storing their Mini 2 with the prop guard on constantly, and noticed any deformation or issues flying? Would some of those third-party silicone ones (that look like a strip) be a better option? Or just store the device unfolded with the props free to dangle?

Thanks
I almost never fold my Mini 2. It's so small that it is easy to leave it unfolded without taking up too much room. Also I have purchased the RLSOCO storage case which allows me to transport the Mini 2 in the unfolded position. I have never felt comfortable folding and unfolding my drones. I always think that eventually something will fail.

Reactions: timinator
I use this case by ScottyMakesStuff. It keeps the blades in place as well as the gimbal. Just slides right in. No bending or pressure on the blades. 548E7D08-CE95-4328-8FAB-0BB00755DCC5.jpeg

Reactions: Scuddzy
Most definitely a matter of opinion and choice. I can see the freedom of not having to mess with these protection devices. But in my case I have come close to damaging blades by snagging them on something as they are flapping around. Although mostly when unfolding. I like the idea of never folding, but that kind of defeats the mobility and small footprint aspect of these smaller drones. I think the worry would be temperature while storing in that position. Also I think only if installed improperly do they distort the prop. Mine just catch the tips and they don't appear to move much if any. I have two different brands and they both seem to not be deforming the blades when installed properly.

Hi.I bought a hard case with bottom and top indents for the blades.I just make sure they are lined up before closing the case and they are still in line when I open it.😁

Re: Gimbal protectors
Had to send in my Phantom 2 years ago when I chose to drive to another location without a protector and got the gimbal out of whack. Ever since then I use one religiously.

Always good to have your drone as protected as possible. That is why I always have my drone in an upgraded case, wrap, gimbal cover, tempered glass camera lens protector, wireless charging (so I don’t wear away the port), propeller holder, and make sure to always have sd card in its slot (to keep dirt our or its slot). Maybe a little extreme but my drone has over 1,360 flight miles and no issues so I’m going to continue what I am doing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000