DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Air 2s controller with Air 3 ... can't get it to work.

Paul Harvey

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all. Due to poor eyesight and fat fingers, I am trying to use my 2s controller & tablet with my new Air 3, but can't get it to work.

Every time I try to switch from Quick Transfer mode into Flight Mode,air3 w tablet for Mavic Pilots.jpg the switching fails. It says I am not linked to the aircraft. Please see the attached image; it shows that the two are linked. Plus the error message.

The manual says it's doable. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Livingston

Reactions: gordonglg
In the DJI Fly app, go to the camera view, click the three-dot menu, and open the Control tab. Scroll down to find Re-pair to Aircraft (Link) and follow the on-screen instructions.

You'll be able to fly the Air 3 five times To continue using the controller with the Air 3, you'll have to un-pair it from the other drone and pair it to the Air 3.

See post #3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jurgen
The A2S controller will not connect to an Air 3 at present. O3 vs. O4.

However, the controller shouldn't be necessary for Quick Transfer. Make sure you put the drone in QT mode after it boots, and make sure you have the latest version of DJI Fly on your tablet.

From the manual:

QuickTransfer
DJI Air 3 can connect directly to mobile devices via Wi-Fi, enabling users to download photos and videos from the aircraft to the mobile device through DJI Fly without using the remote controller. Users can enjoy faster and more convenient downloads with a transmission rate of up to 30 MB/s.

Usage

Method 1: mobile device is not connected to the remote controller
  1. Power on the aircraft and wait until the self-diagnostic tests of the aircraft are complete.
  2. Make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled on the mobile device. Launch DJI Fly and a prompt will appear to connect to the aircraft.
  3. Tap Connect. Once successfully connected, the files on the aircraft can be accessed and downloaded at high speed. When connecting the mobile device to the aircraft for the first time, press and hold the power button of the aircraft for two seconds to confirm.

Reactions: Xitor
Just wondering how you managed to get a Air 3 drone only? As far as I know DJI is not offering a Drone only package.

Reactions: Torque
Just wondering how you managed to get a Air 3 drone only? As far as I know DJI is not offering a Drone only package.
I didn't pick up that idea from his post. He could have easily bought the Air 3 w/RC2 but then wanted to use a tablet so he's trying to use his Air 2s remote which has a fancy tablet mount?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hello all. Due to poor eyesight and fat fingers, I am trying to use my 2s controller & tablet with my new Air 3, but can't get it to work.

Every time I try to switch from Quick Transfer mode into Flight Mode,View attachment 167148 the switching fails. It says I am not linked to the aircraft. Please see the attached image; it shows that the two are linked. Plus the error message.

The manual says it's doable. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Livingston
You need RC-N2 and no N1

I don't think older remotes will ever be updated to implement O4.

Far more likely the newer remotes will be updated to support O3... so an N2 or RC2 purchase will still be necessary to fly an A3.

From a technical standpoint, adding crippled O4 to the N1, RC, and Pro is almost surely possible, but would be the wrong business and marketing decision. Especially with the RC.

Only the RC Pro has a slim chance of getting some bastardized support for O4, IMO.

I guess I wasn't aware there is a rc that works with both air 2s and air 3 today?
Pages 15 and 19 of the manual show the older controller works. And Page 71 says the RC2 does not support Quick Transfer. Page 82 says the RCN2 features O4 transmission when used with the Air 3. Page 87 shows how to link the older remote to the Air 3. Thanks for responding!
You need the RC-N2. It looks just like your old one but is O4 spec.
I did not know the controller for the 2S had a controller that looked the same but is different. Since the 2s was right before the Air 3. As is usually the case, I was confused. Thanks for clearing that up!

I don't think older remotes will ever be updated to implement O4.

Far more likely the newer remotes will be updated to support O3... so an N2 or RC2 purchase will still be necessary to fly an A3.

From a technical standpoint, adding crippled O4 to the N1, RC, and Pro is almost surely possible, but would be the wrong business and marketing decision. Especially with the RC.

Only the RC Pro has a slim chance of getting some bastardized support for O4, IMO.
So there's a newer controller than the one that comes with the 2s but looks and works the same?

I didn't. I bought the fly-more combo. I wanted to use my old Air 2s's controller because I have an attachment to hold a tablet and I can't see the tiny screen on the new controller.

Reactions: cneedelman
So there's a newer controller than the one that comes with the 2s but looks and works the same?
This one
i-76nWZVM-L.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer