DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using an old cellphone

Am considering purchasing a new iPhone. Can I use my old phone (iPhone 6S) as my Mavic Air 2 monitor even though it no longer has an active cellular connection?
Yes. You don't need network/ wifi or cellular connection to fly.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Here is an option.
If your phone is or was on ATT or another compatible GSM service you can get a Freedompop plan that is on ATT for about $64.00 per year. It gives you 1GB of data, unlimited talk and text per month along with a new phone number.
You can use a phone without any service but there are limitations.
I have a phone holder that positions the phone above the controller with a hand cut 3mm thick foam pad formed to make a sun shade. I keep it assembled with the phone so there is no setup time.

Here is an option.
If your phone is or was on ATT or another compatible GSM service you can get a Freedompop plan that is on ATT for about $64.00 per year. It gives you 1GB of data, unlimited talk and text per month along with a new phone number.
You can use a phone without any service but there are limitations.
I have a phone holder that positions the phone above the controller with a hand cut 3mm thick foam pad formed to make a sun shade. I keep it assembled with the phone so there is no setup time.
Thanks for you response. What are the limitations that you mention? In other words, what benefits do I derive from the Freedompop plan as far as operating the drone?

The biggest limitation to not having a data plan is maps. Unless you pre-load maps to your non connected device you phone will not have any means except wifi to get the maps.

The biggest limitation to not having a data plan is maps. Unless you pre-load maps to your non connected device you phone will not have any means except wifi to get the maps.
Thanks for your response. If that is the case, how do fliers who use iPads and other tablets do it without data plans!

If that is the case, how do fliers who use iPads and other tablets do it without data plans!

You can cache the maps before you depart for the flying area. Or, better still, use your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect your tablet to the Internet through it.

Reactions: LifesShort
Just make sure you have cache maps enabled on the app. While you're on wifi at home, just open up map view on the app, move it around the area you will be flying, and then you should be good to go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet