DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using dji goggles with smart controller

Captain Lou

CRAZ-E-LOU
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’ve been trying to get a answer to this question for about a week now... finally after contacting DJI they sent me the following answer as seen in theses screenshots:
38770d9749fcbdad82c5d5932c83bbf8.jpg
d83327b670b6eb5050c3d60e7b216d80.jpg
7eb882ba04aa45bdea5011eff67c10d5.jpg
97c64eb8d4de590a604835f0a0eded5a.jpg

Hopefully I won’t have to wait to long!! [emoji41]

• Wow
Reactions: brett8883
Not suprising that they didnt cross test, but still dissappointing!

Just as it is so, with the back peddling DJI is doing regarding fixing their Goggles RE design flaw, after one of their techs mentioned replacing the Goggles RE core circuit board, as the fix, but now are telling folks that are seeking that fix that "the Goggles tested good so were sending them back to you" or trying to charge them for the repair.

DJI is just too shady to admit a fault which would require a recall (a costly but morally responsible move, esp for a billion $$ company)

If they would do more 'pre-release' testing than they wouldnt have as many of these problems that they act like arent real problems.

Sorry for the rant.

Not suprising that they didnt cross test, but still dissappointing!

Just as it is so, with the back peddling DJI is doing regarding fixing their Goggles RE design flaw, after one of their techs mentioned replacing the Goggles RE core circuit board, as the fix, but now are telling folks that are seeking that fix that "the Goggles tested good so were sending them back to you" or trying to charge them for the repair.

DJI is just too shady to admit a fault which would require a recall (a costly but morally responsible move, esp for a billion $$ company)

If they would do more 'pre-release' testing than they wouldnt have as many of these problems that they act like arent real problems.

Sorry for the rant.

Hey jzilla...Couldn’t have said it better!!
It really is a shame that they can’t get it right the first time...

Reactions: Former Member
I’ve been trying to get a answer to this question for about a week now... finally after contacting DJI they sent me the following answer as seen in theses screenshots:
38770d9749fcbdad82c5d5932c83bbf8.jpg
d83327b670b6eb5050c3d60e7b216d80.jpg
7eb882ba04aa45bdea5011eff67c10d5.jpg
97c64eb8d4de590a604835f0a0eded5a.jpg

Hopefully I won’t have to wait to long!! [emoji41]

Yo I just had a crazy idea! The RE edition goggles can take an HDMI input for video and the SC has an HDMI output! Worst case scenario you could just run hdmi from the SC to the goggles! It will probably even work better since some people still aren’t getting that great of range with the goggles on the Mavic 2

Yo I just had a crazy idea! The RE edition goggles can take an HDMI input for video and the SC has an HDMI output! Worst case scenario you could just run hdmi from the SC to the goggles! It will probably even work better since some people still aren’t getting that great of range with the goggles on the Mavic 2

I can verify this does work, same range as SRC alone, but you lose the functions such as atitutude indication and video/photo control, thru Goggles, but really not too important right.

I did unlink Goggles first, via factory reset within REs settings, just to be sure that the RF link wasnt involved. IIRC, I heard someone mention their results werent good and they mentioned that.

I will say that I missed it being wireless but it was nice not blacking out at 300m ;-)

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I can verify this does work, same range as SRC alone, but you lose the functions such as atitutude indication and video/photo control, thru Goggles, but really not too important right.

I did unlink Goggles first, via factory reset within REs settings, just to be sure that the RF link wasnt involved. IIRC, I heard someone mention their results werent good and they mentioned that.

I will say that I missed it being wireless but it was nice not blacking out at 300m ;-)

What would happen if you didn’t unlink and just plugged in the HDMI? I wonder if you’d now have head tracking and video/photo switching? The goggles connect to the remote for those features so I wonder if keeping them linked would continue that connection but the video overlay would be from hdmi?

No issues here. I am using the RE goggles with the smart controller since I got it over 2 months ago and together with the SRC no issues with distance. No issues after both upgrades either. Just delink everything.

I'm confused. Are you talking about the white goggles or the RE goggles. The regular white goggles link directly to the drone not the controller. I've used my goggles ( not the RE version) several times along with the smart controller and my Mavic 2 zoom.
]

Fair point. Which ones are you asking about Cap. The White or the RE's?

It does matter a bit because the white are Occusync 1.0 and the RE's are Occusync 2.0, which do have significant differences, believe it or not. Heres a good link that explains the differences in Occusync 1 & 2.

Now, regarding the Mr Fields statement of how the Goggles communicate directly with the drone.

I agree, but theres more to it than that.
Both the White & RE communicate w/ the drone, but they both, also communicate with the RC.

Its a Master/Slave relationship (which I recently learned myself... See link below), where as the Main RC (SRC or M2 RC) is the Master and the Goggles are the Slave. Its a 3 way cooperative communication happening between the RC, AC and Goggles, which is fairly complex.

Yes, u can perform some flight manuevers w/o the master RC connected but the distance and height are limited until the master RC is connected and logged into DJI servers.

Occusync 2.0's SDR (software defined radio) based system (vs Occusync 1's Hardware based system uses a custom mixture of RF modulation protocols FHSS and OFDM, which are what make it so capable, but also, complex.

If this Original Post was referring to the White Goggles, I really dont know if it will work with the SRC, but I believe it should, as they worked with the Mavic 2, after the fw update they released a bit after the M2 release, however, itll only operate on 2.4Ghz.

I can say that the SRC works with the Goggles RE, but I am not as lucky as Roamer105, in that my RE's still stunt the otherwise great range I have with the Mavic 2, when using it without the RE linked.

Its alot of, possibly unsolicited, information, I know, but I hope it helps someone. I found it all pretty interesting when I first looked into it all, back when my RE's first showed their flaws.

Good day

Reactions: Former Member
one of the issues i have with that Eureka! post is that they force Occusync to use 2.4ghz only and then use the 5.8ghz pagoda antenna, it's useless in that application and they don't identify that so i worry about the whole solution, did they happen on to something? possibly, but they don't have a full grasp of the technology.

at the end of the day this is all about the wireless frequencies; 2.4ghz sacrifices transfer speed for distance and 5.8ghz sacrifices distance for speed; any basic home network (even your cable modem) will have a 2 and 5ghz network; throughput is faster on the 5 but your distance to signal strength is less than the 2ghz. we don't notice it as much because most homes don't have devices that see the performance degradation, encryption also plays a factor here but we won't go into that. running a speed test on both SSID's will reveal the speed difference, looking at your available wireless networks whilst walking away from your home will show the differing signal strength.

with that said i believe the issues is in the auto switching or a setting somewhere, once the drone is out of 5.8ghz range and goggles aren't switching efficiently or at all. so in theory the Eureka! post is right, force the goggles to use only the 2.4 frequency so you have the longest distance and no switching, problem is 2.4ghz is so common and there's that distance thing again, it travels further so home networks, TV stations, cell phones, get what i'm saying? interference and cause 5.8 travels less distance, less interference.

now - everything i read says the pagoda antenna is only used in 5.8ghz analog devices (and the device gets the other antenna) so when using Occusync devices it's unnecessary, but i still use it, i may test it tomorrow or tonight when i'm photographing the sunset.

Finally got my dji goggles (white)and got them updated to latest firmware via assistant 2 v..08 .... linking them with my SC was quite a ordeal and took about 20 minutes of trying .. now have SC as main RC and goggles as 2nd RC and they seem to work... haven’t flown with them yet but in the house I got them to work gimbal and saw all info on screen ... ??that when I take them out to fly they control flight also and I don’t crash ![emoji41]

Hi guys, I bought the new M2EA that comes with the Smart Controller. I had some issues connecting it to the white Goggles I use with my Mavic Pro. Finally I managed to pair them up using a HDMI-microHDMI cable. The HDMI connector goes to the upper part of the Smart Controlelr, the miniHDMI into the Goggles (under the grey flap). It took a while, but it did connect eventually, showing exactly what is on the screen, i.e. visual, split or thermal.

Reactions: CallmeDash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo