DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great News! M2P & Goggles RE: RANGE to 2783 ft! How? 4-24-19

Byhead

Reactions
Finally a no wind top ten day at 75F. I got the chance to try my RE's with the M2P!
Through the summer of 18, when i got the RE's, i could only get 400-500 feet out until
the famous VID FREEZE occured. I have been watching the many threads on these
forums regarding the Short range issues. DJI seemed to indicate in February that
the problem was most likely in the RE's electronics board. Lots of guys are sending
them back to DJI for this repair. But laying in wait to test one gentleman's idea, today
4-24-19 was the opportunity to do so.
Before this spring flight, I DL'd DJI GO 4 v.4.3.12, the latest iteration.
Then DL'd the latest ASSISTANT TWO per DJI pages.
I upgraded the M2P via v.2.0.7 to the .0400 set along with the Factory Remote.
Rebooted the aircraft and ran a vision calibration too within v2.0.7
I upgraded the Goggles RE (2018 edition) via v.1.2.5 to the .0700 set.
All these are the very latest UG's available from DJI.
Note, This date I had no problem loading ASSIST 2 into windows 10, so they may
have addressed the signature issue that was making people freaky not being able
to load ASSIST 2 without editing the registry! Oh My...
HERE'S WHAT WORKED:
Start RC, Start AC Have Iphone set to start GO4 at this time.
Start RE's (With pagoda antenna.)
Open triple dot in GO4, hit HD - change DUAL to 2.4Ghtz, Hit Custom, and 20Mhtz, then AUTO.
Connect via bonding again the RE's to the M2P. (Once bound, no need to do it again.)
RE's: Select NORMAL mode upon selecting Mavic 2 Pro.
Goggles RE are now ready and connected!
Up we go to 300 feet, P mode and carefully flying at <10mph ran out to 2783 Feet until
loss of video to the goggles! Now, this was not line of sight. THE Mavic flew away from
my sight in a neighborhood with houses and trees!
Shut off RE's and had no signal at the IPHONE! Re-enabled GO4 and a red sign
says weak signal, and no video! I hit RTH and waited. She got about half way back
at 300 ft agl and re-acquired video to the GO4. I let her auto land on the orange pad
in my back yard dead on the money!
So Far that little trick has solved the range issues....
I will bet out in an open field, more range can be had!
Which is my next trial after the upcoming rain.

Reactions: MikeMauk
Finally a no wind top ten day at 75F. I got the chance to try my RE's with the M2P!
Through the summer of 18, when i got the RE's, i could only get 400-500 feet out until
the famous VID FREEZE occured. I have been watching the many threads on these
forums regarding the Short range issues. DJI seemed to indicate in February that
the problem was most likely in the RE's electronics board. Lots of guys are sending
them back to DJI for this repair. But laying in wait to test one gentleman's idea, today
4-24-19 was the opportunity to do so.
Before this spring flight, I DL'd DJI GO 4 v.4.3.12, the latest iteration.
Then DL'd the latest ASSISTANT TWO per DJI pages.
I upgraded the M2P via v.2.0.7 to the .0400 set along with the Factory Remote.
Rebooted the aircraft and ran a vision calibration too within v2.0.7
I upgraded the Goggles RE (2018 edition) via v.1.2.5 to the .0700 set.
All these are the very latest UG's available from DJI.
Note, This date I had no problem loading ASSIST 2 into windows 10, so they may
have addressed the signature issue that was making people freaky not being able
to load ASSIST 2 without editing the registry! Oh My...
HERE'S WHAT WORKED:
Start RC, Start AC Have Iphone set to start GO4 at this time.
Start RE's (With pagoda antenna.)
Open triple dot in GO4, hit HD - change DUAL to 2.4Ghtz, Hit Custom, and 20Mhtz, then AUTO.
Connect via bonding again the RE's to the M2P. (Once bound, no need to do it again.)
RE's: Select NORMAL mode upon selecting Mavic 2 Pro.
Goggles RE are now ready and connected!
Up we go to 300 feet, P mode and carefully flying at <10mph ran out to 2783 Feet until
loss of video to the goggles! Now, this was not line of sight. THE Mavic flew away from
my sight in a neighborhood with houses and trees!
Shut off RE's and had no signal at the IPHONE! Re-enabled GO4 and a red sign
says weak signal, and no video! I hit RTH and waited. She got about half way back
at 300 ft agl and re-acquired video to the GO4. I let her auto land on the orange pad
in my back yard dead on the money!
So Far that little trick has solved the range issues....
I will bet out in an open field, more range can be had!
Which is my next trial after the upcoming rain.

What did it is the new firmware update included support for dual remotes namely master/slave remotes. The Goggles are simply a slave remote so it was a small miracle it worked at all before. Not to say that the things you did don’t help but the new firmware update has solved the issues that were present before. Glad they finally work for ya!

Reactions: MikeMauk
Thanx Brett, now you have me wondering if the M2P will thus
work FINE on the 5.8 ghtz band NOW...
(Which I have not tried!)
OR simply keep her in DUAL.

What did it is the new firmware update included support for dual remotes namely master/slave remotes. The Goggles are simply a slave remote so it was a small miracle it worked at all before. Not to say that the things you did don’t help but the new firmware update has solved the issues that were present before. Glad they finally work for ya!
Thats a good point, stating how the RE's are pretty much a slave RC.

Lets hope that in adding the Dual RC coding, that it eliminated/overwrote the coding that was causing the Slave RE's connection/range issues!

I always thought it was due to the RE's being vastly inferior in handling of RF Interference in any given area, compared to the Master RC/Go4 Device, thus the differing distances in those having the issue but the master/slave rc coding seems a more likely candidate for the issue, esp since DJI keeps acting like the RE's are not flawed.

It was strange though, as I had better results with the RE's months ago when I was trying all the older Go4 apk builds (for android) and I never was able to figure out the reason why?

Anyway, I sure hope its, at least, better.
I mean we dont need the 8km as they advertised, but 3-4km sure would be great vs the 300m screen freeze up/black n white screen of death.

To the OP, Im glad your results are better. I can attest that its a pretty good feeling, as I was able to reach 2+ miles on only a few occasions. Each one was over Lake Mich, (devoid of any RF, as shown by my separate Spectrum Anlayzer) which is why I thought it was an RF Interference issue.

Keep in mind though, that its still only 1/2 mile your getting, so something is still not quite right...

Keep up the testing. I thank you for posting your results, as were not getting much help from DJI, are we? (If this new FW actually does help, I doubt it was by intent on DJIs part, to address the problem with the RE, sadly).

Cheers

Thats a good point, stating how the RE's are pretty much a slave RC.

Lets hope that in adding the Dual RC coding, that it eliminated/overwrote the coding that was causing the Slave RE's connection/range issues!

I always thought it was due to the RE's being vastly inferior in handling of RF Interference in any given area, compared to the Master RC/Go4 Device, thus the differing distances in those having the issue but the master/slave rc coding seems a more likely candidate for the issue, esp since DJI keeps acting like the RE's are not flawed.

It was strange though, as I had better results with the RE's months ago when I was trying all the older Go4 apk builds (for android) and I never was able to figure out the reason why?

Anyway, I sure hope its, at least, better.
I mean we dont need the 8km as they advertised, but 3-4km sure would be great vs the 300m screen freeze up/black n white screen of death.

To the OP, Im glad your results are better. I can attest that its a pretty good feeling, as I was able to reach 2+ miles on only a few occasions. Each one was over Lake Mich, (devoid of any RF, as shown by my separate Spectrum Anlayzer) which is why I thought it was an RF Interference issue.

Keep in mind though, that its still only 1/2 mile your getting, so something is still not quite right...

Keep up the testing. I thank you for posting your results, as were not getting much help from DJI, are we? (If this new FW actually does help, I doubt it was by intent on DJIs part, to address the problem with the RE, sadly).

Cheers

Yea deep in the DJI documentation for developers it states the goggles function as a Slave remote. They get video directly from the aircraft but send gimbal commands via relay through the remote.

Reactions: jzilla80
Yea deep in the DJI documentation for developers it states the goggles function as a Slave remote. They get video directly from the aircraft but send gimbal commands via relay through the remote.
Really... Thats a great bit solid info. Thank u sir!

Brett-I have the white goggles with no external antenna. What antenna should I use? Thanks-I can currently go 2700-2800m before low signal message.

I have also always had the range issue whatever I tried, and after the update I did one flight and everything was perfect, didn't do anything special. So yeah I believe the .400 update "silently" fixed it.

Reactions: jzilla80
I have the M2P along with the RE Goggles. Are the antennas that came with the RE Googles necessary for the M2P?

Some people are reporting better reception with the antenna and no reports of the antenna causing worse reception then without it. Try it both ways and see what works for you. If in doubt I’d leave it on

I know someone who recently kept reception with the RE Goggles to 2.75 miles or 4.4KM. They were on the latest firmware for both the RE Goggles and Mavic 2. They also had the Pagoda antenna was attached although I am not sure that the antennae made a difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi