DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-downloaded app, no range?

88lance

Reactions
I had to get a new phone, so I re-downloaded the DJI fly app from their website.
Suddenly the Air2 goes to yellow bars at 1,000 feet distance, and red bars at 1400 feet.
It starts getting jerky imaging at 1,000 as well.
I am flying at usual altitude, and never had this issue before the new phone and app. So it seems to be related to that somehow.
This thing had impressive range before this, so I am not sure what to check or troubleshoot to fix it.

I'm on the other side of the world in Bali, and tomorrow morning I am going to Nusa Penida, which has been on my list for many years, and now my drone can't even go far enough out to frame the whole thing.😬
Anyone know more about this issue and fix?
Thanks!

Last edited:
The phone or app have nothing to do with the connectivity to your drone... you can fly the drone totally without a screen device attached to the controller. The screen device (phone) just shows you on the app interface what's going on between the controller & drone.

The problem lays elsewhere... above pure hardware problems, maybe something have changed in the environment along that route you fly, partially blocking the LOS between the controller & drone... or something is generating more WiFi interference.

The phone or app have nothing to do with the connectivity to your drone... you can fly the drone totally without a screen device attached to the controller. The screen device (phone) just shows you on the app interface what's going on between the controller & drone.

The problem lays elsewhere... above pure hardware problems, maybe something have changed in the environment along that route you fly, partially blocking the LOS between the controller & drone... or something is generating more WiFi interference.
I see 👍
I don't think it has to do with surroundings since I have flown different places since I arrived in Asia also, and it keeps having the same issue regardless of where I am it seems.
So I am not sure what it could be

...So I am not sure what it could be
Updated the drone or controller firmware recently..? Have happened before that some versions have certain unwanted effects, but then it's usually lots of people that complain.

If you have the possibility to borrow another controller you could try & see if that change anything... & vice versa, try your controller with another Air 2.

Reactions: RobertsEnterprises
Everything shows updated. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has one of these, but I could probably post on the local page and find somebody and test another controller.
After some more flying today, I did notice something about the signal.
It keeps switching even when the drone is not moving.
I was at 800 feet out and had straight line of sight, just hovering, and suddenly it switched to 2 bars and the image started jerking.
I let it sit for a second, and suddenly it shows full bars and the image is smooth again. It did this a number of times.
I started flying a circle at 1,000 feet out and it showed full bars, and then the same thing happened.
It acted as if it switched frequency or something and dropped all the way to red, and the image completely froze. I kept the circle going by just keeping the sticks where I had them, and about 6 seconds later, it's full bars and back again.

So it seems like it is changing channels or something (not sure how it works honestly) and keeps finding bad ones, even though there was nothing wrong with the one it was on.

Any thoughts on that information that might help?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13