DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using drone to do work

jsweinrich

Reactions
I'm rural Oregon and there is a boat load of trees that do die on occasion. To get a snag down next to the house I need to attach a choker rope around the tree about 50' up. No way I'm going to try to climb that so I was thinking to have the drone take a think nylon rope up and around the tree. The thin nylon rope would be used to pull up the choker rope. I'm thinking of the type of thin nylon rope used for marking foundation lines. Maybe attach a small clip to drone and attach the nylon rope to the clip so if there was an issue the drone could pull away and the rope would just pull out of the clip.

Anybody try this?

Might be possible, not sure.

The Mavic doesn't have a large payload capacity. You would do well to do your homework and find out just how much line you'll be lifting. Then test your Mavic to see how much capacity it has with some additional left for margin.

Let us know how it goes, and be sure to record so if all goes south... Jk.

Reactions: jsweinrich
I'm rural Oregon and there is a boat load of trees that do die on occasion. To get a snag down next to the house I need to attach a choker rope around the tree about 50' up. No way I'm going to try to climb that so I was thinking to have the drone take a think nylon rope up and around the tree. The thin nylon rope would be used to pull up the choker rope. I'm thinking of the type of thin nylon rope used for marking foundation lines. Maybe attach a small clip to drone and attach the nylon rope to the clip so if there was an issue the drone could pull away and the rope would just pull out of the clip.

Anybody try this?
how did it go

Do you have any videos of your crash yet? :pThumbswayup

While the idea seems doable, keep in mind that the higher you go, the heavier the string becomes. If the string gets stuck on a branch, and it will, you'll be doing some acrobatic maneuvers too close to the tree for comfort.

This is absolutely doable, but you might want to get a line dropping setup like they use for drone fishing. Would make dropping the line where you want without getting snagged much easier and then there's no having to shake the line loose.

-Joe

Remember that the higher you ascend; the heavier the load becomes. You would have to make sure that your drone can lift the weight equivalent of that entire length of rope.

Totally doable. Just use 100lb fishing braid line and a 4oz sinker. Attach to spring clothes peg or fish realease clip. Fly up and over branch then pull sinker free from peg to drop to ground with line. Tie main chocker to line and pull back over branch.
Mavic will comfortably take 4oz sinker and 3 baits on 50lb braid out 300 meters plus for sea fishing so should have no problem lifting up 50feet.

Totally doable. Just use 100lb fishing braid line and a 4oz sinker. Attach to spring clothes peg or fish realease clip. Fly up and over branch then pull sinker free from peg to drop to ground with line. Tie main chocker to line and pull back over branch.
Mavic will comfortably take 4oz sinker and 3 baits on 50lb braid out 300 meters plus for sea fishing so should have no problem lifting up 50feet.
this sounds reasonable

Have not tried it yet but will plan to in a few weeks or so. Thanks for the good tips. Will let you know what happens.

My Mavic can lift at least 726 grams. Saw a video where it lifted 1 kilo . And another where it lifted about 1.5 lbs.

As it turns out weight is not an issue for this problem. I tried a test flight today without the fish tape and the drone would not go between the branches I wanted to go through. Even in sport mode the collision avoidance stopped me.

You definitely want to turn off Obstacle Avoidance when doing any type of
precision flying like this. Personally I have it off all the time as it causes more problems than it prevents for me. If you're not comfortable flying with OA off you need more practice before trying a maneuver like this.

-Joe

Ran the fish line up yesterday, lower on the tree than I wanted but it will do. Next step is to pull up an choker rope using the fish tape. Sorry I didn't get any good shots...

nl7kem2.jpg

EDq5L4f.jpg

CizdmuE.jpg

p26sIFy.jpg

6GUzpM2.jpg

What the heck is fish tape? Dragonfly recommended using 50 lb. braided fishing line, which has a very small diameter. The braid will not blow around and cause drag like that tape you are using.

Fish tape is what's used to pull wiring through finished walls. Used it because I already had a bunch. Added benefit is that it can easily be seen...

Fish tape is what's used to pull wiring through finished walls. Used it because I already had a bunch. Added benefit is that it can easily be seen...

Gotcha! Thanks for the lesson! I still think the braided line will work better though.

Looks like you did it. I would put the Mavic in tripod mode next time so that it is more stable and much slower so that you have more time to react.

The other suggestion I'd have is prop guards. May give some protection if you're too close to a branch but will also give you a much better feel for where the props are.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan