DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Hotspot to reset cache in the field

Rchawks

Reactions
I've had several instances where the cache was set at home with local wifi and without resetting at the field the map would show green, so in a sense I'm flying blind from a map point of view, this also causes me to wonder about the validity of the RTH if I'm unable to verify it on the map. I would like to point out I do always fly VLOS but there are times when you lose site after looking down at the controls, so this seems to be a big deal to me. Would resetting using a hotspot solve this dilemma for resetting the map function as I would just turn off the hotspot from that point.
I was flying yesterday and a park and after 4 or 5 min the ipad went black which really concerned me. I landed and packed up, returned home and flew behind where I live without a glitch. I use a New ipad mini and yesterday"s event was with a MM. I would like to point out I've had a lot of flights with this setup and this is the very first time the blank screen has appeared. Sorry or the run on thread, but at this point I've had no clear answer for this issue.

RTH doesn't use the map, which is just a visual representation of the AC's position.
RTH uses the GPS coordinates that were recorded when the home point was set.

Black ipad mini screen suggests it overheated and shut down or it could be an intermittent back-light issue

I was flying yesterday and a park and after 4 or 5 min the ipad went black which really concerned me. I landed and packed up, returned home and flew behind where I live without a glitch. I use a New ipad mini and yesterday"s event was with a MM.

Was it just the image from the drone which went blank or the whole app/screen? How far away was your MM when it went blank?

Last edited:
RTH doesn't use the map, which is just a visual representation of the AC's position.
RTH uses the GPS coordinates that were recorded when the home point was set.

Black ipad mini screen suggests it overheated and shut down or it could be an intermittent back-light issue
I believe what he meant was that without a detailed map, he can't verify HP was properly set, like the lady suggested he do.

"Home point has been updated, please check it on the map" it's a good practice to do, especially if you hear it having flown laterally after takeoff.

No overheating issue the temp was 58 deg and nippy. The entire app screen went black. The Drone was just under 200 ft away, I typically fly 390 ft high and up to 500 ft away for the most part. When on a a farm I'll fly at that height with greater range, but not in the city. I always hover and always wait 10 to 12 secs for the RTH has been set before departing.

I've had several instances where the cache was set at home with local wifi and without resetting at the field the map would show green

Are you zooming into the map at home and then moving it around to cover all of the area you are likely to fly in? There’s a good map caching tutorial here:

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka