DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPad as second image preview

Citizen Flier

Reactions
There is a sale (today only?) for the iPad 10.2 $249. So I scored one (Only Amazon, Best Buy I believe) And I'm thinking it might be useful as a larger preview screen in addition to my Smart Controller that I fly with (using Mp2)
I really like the SC, as I suspect the connection may be more robust as it's all proprietary. But as I shoot primarily still images, it would be helpful to have the larger screen to preview critical focus, detail, etc.

I only purchased the WiFI iPad model, so not sure what the range would be in flight, as I have only flown with SC. Can anyone give a rough idea of the range of a wifi iPad? And if it does work adequately, would that interfere with or slow transmission from my SC? (I've never used any iPad for any aspect of flight)

Thanks for any input on this.

If you’re going to do that, why not just use the original RC with the IPad? I interchange them regularly depending on what my needs are at the moment..

Reactions: buddb55
The range is totally unaffected (aircraft to remote). The wifi isn't for that, nor would cellular if you had got one of those. It should fly the same distance as before given the same controller.

Reactions: BigAl07
My bad. I thought you were wanting to use the pad in addition to the sc. I get it now. Disregard my earlier comment. Like Speck said no issues. It’s all about the controller

I just want to see the images I capture on a larger screen. Not wanting to CONTROL flight any other function.
My other question was whether having 2 connected wifi devices might slow signal transmission to the SC. The SC is of prime importance. Previewing images, etc on iPad is just a visualizing aid -just like previewing still photos in the studio. Thanks

I just want to see the images I capture on a larger screen. Not wanting to CONTROL flight any other function.
My other question was whether having 2 connected wifi devices might slow signal transmission to the SC. The SC is of prime importance. Previewing images, etc on iPad is just a visualizing aid -just like previewing still photos in the studio. Thanks
You can have 2 controllers tied into the M2 so you can watch the video on the bigger screen. I don’t think you can connect another device/screen to the SC and use simultaneously any other way. If I’m wrong maybe when someone else chimes in I’ll learn a new trick.

IMHO, iPads are too bulky for use with Mavic Air/ Mini type controllers.
iPad Mini 5 is perfect for these controllers.

Reactions: buddb55
Not to hijack the thread with another question, but first to answer your question, I love the iPad with the regular RC and do a lot or still/video professionally with several DJI drones M2P included, you wont regret it. Just don't let the iPad overheat or sit with the screen in direct sunlight when ur not using it. I would use your cell as a wifi hotspot for the ipad.

My question, I don't have a SC (Smart Controller) but need to send my live video feed to an output to send to other viewing devices. Is that possible with the SC? Meaning is there an output on the regular RC or SC to do that?

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Not to hijack the thread with another question, but first to answer your question, I love the iPad with the regular RC and do a lot or still/video professionally with several DJI drones M2P included, you wont regret it. Just don't let the iPad overheat or sit with the screen in direct sunlight when ur not using it. I would use your cell as a wifi hotspot for the ipad.

My question, I don't have a SC (Smart Controller) but need to send my live video feed to an output to send to other viewing devices. Is that possible with the SC? Meaning is there an output on the regular RC or SC to do that?

I believe what you want to do is possible, as I think I read about it. But more informed pilots will better answer that question. What I would like to do is similar as I would prefer to simply stream the images to the iPad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78