DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPhone hotspot with Apple Air 2

andyd01275

Reactions
Hi All,
I have an iPad Air 2 that doesn’t have GPS, that I know, but has anyone tried using there iPone as hotspot connected to their iPad to get GPS and using the iPad connected to the controller?
Thanks in advance. AndyD

has anyone tried using there iPone as hotspot connected to their iPad to get GPS and using the iPad connected to the controller?
You cannot share GPS data over a hotspot connection.

Thanks msinger, is it possible to add a third party gps device to the ipad and work it thats way?

Is see that there is a Bluetooth Garmin Glo GPS, would this work with the iPad DJI Go 4 app and recognise the GPS?

Yes, you can use a Bluetooth GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO.

Reactions: andyd01275
Actually, tethering your iPad via a hotspot to your iPhone does indeed allow you to use GPS on your iPad. It doesn't update as frequently as having a GPS chip would, but if you're not in a moving car or something like that it should be fine. I believe the way it works is that the iPad uses Wifi location-sensing, as it does when, for example, it's connected to your home network. But since your Wifi is coming from your phone, it assumes you are wherever your phone is.

WiFi-Only iPad 2 Gets GPS When Tethered to iPhone | Cult of Mac

The bigger problem is making sure that the wifi signal from the phone doesn't interfere with the signal from the MA controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: andyd01275
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada