DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using music in videos; Fair Use rules?

rfc

Reactions
Can someone point me to a primer on under what conditions one may use copyrighted songs for inclusion in videos? I've seen Mavic videos on YouTube with what I'm sure are copyrighted sound tracks, but I remember some time ago, I uploaded a short video with just a short segment of a song (although a well known song by Mick Jaggar), and got ominous warnings about copyright infringement. If I recall correctly, either they didn't post it at all, or I had to "sign off" on a statement that I wasn't infringing...I can't remember.

I've been to a number of "royalty free" sites referenced here, but many of them ask for a subscription, and then, I don't think they have mainstream songs...that is, those covered by ASCAP.

I'm looking to educate myself on what's OK; what's not, in the context of non-commercial "making cool videos for friends", but would like to share more widely on YouTube/Vimeo, etc.

Any suggestions?

There's no "fair use" for songs to be used on your drone videos. The copyright always is going to apply. You likely are not going to get "permission" to use a "mainstream" song. It doesn't matter that you are "just making cool videos for friends". It's copyrighted material.

Sometimes the notice on YouTube will allow the song to remain but will allow the copyright holder (and not you) monetize the video.

You can use the music that is available on YouTube in their editor. Or you can use songs that you create yourself. Or you can use usic that someone creates for you and gives you permission/license to use in your videos on YouTube. Or you can use songs from a "royalty free" site. Yes, most of the good ones require some sort of subscription. There are a limited number of songs available without a subscription.

Reactions: dewster
What's OK and what's not, is hard to define.

As far as online hosting (Youtube etc.) ANY use of a song in ANY video, either commercial or otherwise, without you either owning the copyright or having written permission from the copyright owner is off limits.

That said, many copyright owners will not be as aggressive as to their assertion of that right, and will allow you to continue to use the material in your video. But usually this flags your video as: A, non-monetizable, and will incur additional adds. and B, flags your account as non compliant with their policies.

If you don't care about either of these things, you can sometimes get away with it, but often they will delete the audio.

BTW, some of the subscriptions services are reasonable, but I get that someone not posting many videos or simply posting for recreational purposes is in a bit of a bind here.

The only use you will get away with is "de minimis" use...like 3 or 4 seconds...or if your video is 'newsworthy'...like if you ARE NBC news and you report on a concert with music in the background.

Classical music...you can perform the piece yourself, but you cannot use a recording that is still copyrighted...i.e., less than about 70-100 years old (congress keeps extending the length of copyrights in order to keep Steamboat Willie (Mickey Mouse) alive)

How about these compiled mixes, e.g.

Are they violating copyright? I'd love to use some tracks from this particular compilation, but don't know if this "will fly" or not.

How about these compiled mixes, e.g.
Are they violating copyright? I'd love to use some tracks from this particular compilation, but don't know if this "will fly" or not.
If they got permission from each of those copyright holders, then no, they aren't violating the copyrights. Otherwise, yes, they are.

That page might be an authorized distributor for those artists. There is contact information in the description of that video. Contact them to see what they say about it.

Having said that, you can easily find clips just like that at other sites.

YouTube
Royalty Free Music
F.S.M - Royalty Free Music For Video Production
Audioblocks - Royalty-Free Music, Sound Effects, and Loops
Public Domain ~ Free Media for Creative Projects | Pond5

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member