DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using my MM FCC in a CE based country

Torflyer

Reactions
I am considering taking my Mavic mini when I travel to countries that have CE restrictions in place.
Can someone outline the startup procedures that I should follow before launching my Mavic mini there.
How should I expect my drone to perform.

When I first activated my MM here in Germany (CE country), it changed frequency bands to meet local requirements, as far as I remember. I don't know the exact phrase but there was definitely a notification during the startup process.

Maybe, it will change FCC to CE for you as well, as soon as you have GPS lock and try to takeoff in a CE country?

I assume that your MM was the CE version already.
I also thought the chipset or components are different but as soon as I saw the „changing to apply your regional ...“ something, I thought maybe it’s all just a software adjustment.

I didn’t realize I was asking such a controversial question when I started this post. Perhaps this is why I didn’t get any real answers to my question, so I have done my own research and found out the following.
-it would be illegal to fly the MM FCC Version at full power CE based country. Whether it would be able to be physically flown still has not been answered.
-so the idea that the drone is a travel drone that can be flown anywhere is not really true. Yes for FCC-based countries.
-apparently the MM CE Version can be flown in FCC countries. So it is able to be flown anywhere. However it has a reduced range over the FCC version.
-there are ways to trick the controller so that the GPS position appears to be in an FCC country and in that way be able to fly at full power in a CE region. Not sure if RTH would work.

Any other comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I didn’t realize I was asking such a controversial question when I started this post. Perhaps this is why I didn’t get any real answers to my question, so I have done my own research and found out the following.
-it would be illegal to fly the MM FCC Version at full power CE based country. Whether it would be able to be physically flown still has not been answered.
-so the idea that the drone is a travel drone that can be flown anywhere is not really true. Yes for FCC-based countries.
-apparently the MM CE Version can be flown in FCC countries. So it is able to be flown anywhere. However it has a reduced range over the FCC version.
-there are ways to trick the controller so that the GPS position appears to be in an FCC country and in that way be able to fly at full power in a CE region. Not sure if RTH would work.

Any other comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
When I move between countries, the next time I startup DJI Go, it recognizes it is in a new country, and asks me if I want to update my location. It will set the WiFi mode accordingly.

As you noted, it is possible to fool your device regarding its GPS location, and that could allow you to set the FCC mode, giving you access to the 5.8GHz radio range.

If you subsequently simply say "no" when it asks you if you want to update your location, it will continue to allow the higher bands. Use at your own risk, though.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky