DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

using rc-n1 with dji mini 3

Scoobychief

Reactions
Allright peeps just wondering i have the dji mini 3 pro with remote control screen, but have also just got a RC-N1 anyway i updated all the software for rc-n1 and it bound the drone etc.. but i get a message on screen telling me i can only use the rc-n1 up to 5 times and also about binding etc.. there were 3 options but just cancelled it and my battery only had 1 light left in it so was able to fly it only just briefly, but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this binding thing and only being able to fly 5 times with it?. not sure

Allright peeps just wondering i have the dji mini 3 pro with remote control screen, but have also just got a RC-N1 anyway i updated all the software for rc-n1 and it bound the drone etc.. but i get a message on screen telling me i can only use the rc-n1 up to 5 times and also about binding etc.. there were 3 options but just cancelled it and my battery only had 1 light left in it so was able to fly it only just briefly, but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this binding thing and only being able to fly 5 times with it?. not sure

so you bought DJI Refresh which includes "fly away coverage". That coverage requires the controller to be bound to the DJI App (and the drone too) and when you used the RC-N1 for testing it wasn't the same controller (that was obviously the original screened RC). Someone more experienced in this nuance can expand but I think you lose your fly away coverage if you don't use the original controller or there is some way you have to change the binding of the coverage in the app? Its all about the insurance aspect of your drone more than the controller not working more than 5 times.

Reading more about this... it is the goal to keep your serial number bound to the controller so if your drone flies away it can't be flown by someone who finds it (more than 5 times) using another controller. I believe you have to go into the app and UNBIND the old controller from your account THEN bind the new controller to the drone before you can do this permeantly. not sure if that effects fly away coverage but I'd assume not. weird all around but someone will have more I'm sure...

no not got care refresh, it barnd new with rc remote. i tried to use the mini 3 pro with a rcn1 and allthough it updated all the software and finds the drone and you can fly it but it will only allow 5 times with the rcn1 unless i unbind the original or something like that i will update a photo of what it uctually says.

no not got care refresh, it barnd new with rc remote. i tried to use the mini 3 pro with a rcn1 and allthough it updated all the software and finds the drone and you can fly it but it will only allow 5 times with the rcn1 unless i unbind the original or something like that i will update a photo of what it uctually says.

from DC Rainmaker regarding this issue:

"You can swap back and forth between the DJI RC & RC-N1with the Mini 3, in a non-bound configuration. In that configuration, you get 5 times to 'bind' the aircraft before it gets upset. But realistically, on the 5th time, you can switch binding, and then next time you've reset it.

So basically, one controller is considered the 'Bound' controller, and the others are essentially guest controllers. Using it in a non-bound setup requires no connectivity (whereas binding it requires connectivity). I haven't seen any obvious feature shortcomings in non-bound mode. In my case, I've had the DJI RC as the bound controller, but occasionally used the RC-N1 in an unbound configuration."

Reactions: Faster and Stach
from DC Rainmaker regarding this issue:

"You can swap back and forth between the DJI RC & RC-N1with the Mini 3, in a non-bound configuration. In that configuration, you get 5 times to 'bind' the aircraft before it gets upset. But realistically, on the 5th time, you can switch binding, and then next time you've reset it.

So basically, one controller is considered the 'Bound' controller, and the others are essentially guest controllers. Using it in a non-bound setup requires no connectivity (whereas binding it requires connectivity). I haven't seen any obvious feature shortcomings in non-bound mode. In my case, I've had the DJI RC as the bound controller, but occasionally used the RC-N1 in an unbound configuration."

Hi, I also purchased an RC-N1 controller separate from the Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC controller. I have no problems connecting with the RC but I can't seem to get the RC N1 connected to the Mini 3 Pro. I'm assuming that it has to do with a firmware incompatibility, but how do I update the RC-N1 on its own if that is the case?

Hi, I also purchased an RC-N1 controller separate from the Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC controller. I have no problems connecting with the RC but I can't seem to get the RC N1 connected to the Mini 3 Pro. I'm assuming that it has to do with a firmware incompatibility, but how do I update the RC-N1 on its own if that is the case?
what you need to do to connect the aircraft to the rc n1 is connect it to your phone, i was using android i need to have dji fly app reinstalled on my phone 1.6.1 version and once it was connected and aircarft was switched on there wasnt an option for mini 3 but within seconds it said there was a firmware update which i did too quite a bit and then when it rebooted etc.. mini 3 became an option select that and it will update the aircraft etc.. and voila. but the trouble i had was i had the old flyapp on my samsung phone which didnt boot up it would crash when i selected it, so removed it and found a link i think it was on the dji webpage for the latest fly app 1.6.1 scanned the code and it installed automatically then then just connected as normal it would update the controller and eventually the aircraft. hope this helps.

My RC-N1 updated just by connecting it to my phone & DJI-FLY without a drone attached (or even having arrived :) ). It did just arrive after wandering around the country aimlessly and worked with the Mini 3 with no further updates.

Right after the "Fly 5 times unbound" message I get a "bind with Mini 3 message" - I just bind the RC-N1 with my account email and done. When I switch back to RC (RM330) I do the same. Just bind it. It harms nothing, and if you have DJI Care it protects you if there is a fly away. The only thing to remember is you need internet to bind, so either do it at home, near wifi, or create a hotspot from your phone with the RM330.
So happy to have found the model number. Calling it "The RC" or DJI RC was making my OCD ping. Too generic and confusing.

Reactions: Scoobychief
I would like to purchase a separate RC-N1 for my Mini 3 Pro (I have the DJI RC). Where can I find just the controller for sale?

Check the classifieds section of the forums or gumtree/craigslist if you want to find cheap batteries/RCs as people usually sell the leftovers when their drone has a flyaway.

Picked the mini3 flymore with rc controller dji filters and 12months refresh for £1000 why would you fly it with a standard controller ,the RC is fantastic no more phone or cables hope the enable it for the 2s

Picked the mini3 flymore with rc controller dji filters and 12months refresh for £1000 why would you fly it with a standard controller ,the RC is fantastic no more phone or cables hope the enable it for the 2s
Why? Because, for example, there are a number of tablets (Tripltek) and phones (Galaxy S21 & S22 the ones I personally have experienced but there are others) for example that offer larger screens and much brighter screens. 1 device vs. 2 devices and a cable doesn't bother a lot of people. While I only tried it once using a Galaxy S22 Ultra and then the DJI RC the S22 Ultra puts the DJI controller to shame in MY OPINION but obviously there is a price delta. And no, it didin't overheat and shut down as tested last week in "feels like" temps of 110F running through 2 batteries.

Bottom line is some like vanilla, others like chocolate, some like red and some like blue. The DJI-RC is a definite value but far from a "can't do without" device.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

I've done all that carrying tablet and holder more weight to carry plus expense of it all time setting up phone ringing mid-flight
I've got my air2s controller if needed but much prefer the RC

Strawberry better than vanilla

Why? Because, for example, there are a number of tablets (Tripltek) and phones (Galaxy S21 & S22 the ones I personally have experienced but there are others) for example that offer larger screens and much brighter screens. 1 device vs. 2 devices and a cable doesn't bother a lot of people. While I only tried it once using a Galaxy S22 Ultra and then the DJI RC the S22 Ultra puts the DJI controller to shame in MY OPINION but obviously there is a price delta. And no, it didin't overheat and shut down as tested last week in "feels like" temps of 110F running through 2 batteries.

Bottom line is some like vanilla, others like chocolate, some like red and some like blue. The DJI-RC is a definite value but far from a "can't do without" device.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

It is your opinion, correct. Can your S22 Ultra hold that brightness for more than 120 seconds?

In my opinion, the sustained brightness of the RC is preferable

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
It is your opinion, correct. Can your S22 Ultra hold that brightness for more than 120 seconds?

In my opinion, the sustained brightness of the RC is preferable

It wasn't "my opinion" it DID. Well, 3 batteries, 1 on the DJI-RC, 93 degrees on a baseball field from10am until 11:30am in central Florida when I tried it and it never dimmed. **I** dimmed because the heat was unbearable and I almost passed out. That's all I can tell you. Auto-brightness must be turned off. Maybe that is that guys issue. Other than that the guy wasn't flying a drone. Guess I was just lucky.

Edit: The video says "randomly" the other guy says "every time" and I say "it never has happened to me with or without a drone even during normal use". So obviously it is a hardware issue. That would be something for Samsung to have to try and figure out. There are multiple versions of that phone from what I understand with different processors and made for different countries and cell providers. Mine came direct from Samsung USA. I also returned it and went back to iPhone 13 ProMax because Android generally was so inconsistent. Apple may be boring but everything works every time. A $1200 phone and face-ID working 50% of the time, fingerprint auth failed often. It did do well with the mini 3 though. :D Guess I'm spoiled with close to 12 years of iPhones. I actually was going to switch just for the screen and the drone but it wasn't worth it. I even got the Samsung Watch and Earbuds. Now I'm back to ALL Apple. Boring is better.

Edit again: The video is referring to HDR mode. I don't think DJI FLY runs in HDR. ;)

Last edited:
HDR is where the 1750 nits number comes from though. if it can sustain a 1000 nits then that is very impressive as well but some friends with a s21 (dont know which one) could sometimes not even read sms outside when the sun was out and they were texting for a few minutes. My iPhone gets hot when using the app so i assume Samsung is the same.

Auto brightness actually makes it brighter when outside, and dimmer when inside, but i guess they had some lemons. iPhones can dim as well when they are hot

If the phone doesn't auto-dim essentially it will overheat at which point either the internal LiPo will degrade sooner due to heat, or you get another Galaxy Note 7 on your hands and the phone will explode. Thats in addition to the pixels on the screen leaving artefacts from whatever app happens to be running at the same time your phone is out in the searing hot sun.

Phones such as S22 are not a bad solution but there are compromises.

If the phone doesn't auto-dim essentially it will overheat at which point either the internal LiPo will degrade sooner due to heat, or you get another Galaxy Note 7 on your hands and the phone will explode. Thats in addition to the pixels on the screen leaving artefacts from whatever app happens to be running at the same time your phone is out in the searing hot sun.

Phones such as S22 are not a bad solution but there are compromises.
LOTS of people use iPhones with many types of drones and I would ASSume that if a lot (or even a few) of them were exploding we'd have heard about it over the years. :D Of course a $5 shade might help. ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute