DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the larger battery, remote id?

Most people are honest.
I think it means most people will find a reason not to turn it on or will find a good reason for turning it off (from time to time). The system won't work if this is allowed.

I'm honest but I fly my FPV and it's a pain to attach the phone, I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to. I'm honest but I use googles, don't you? ;)

Because RID has no apparent benefit or has been shrouded in uncertainty and secrecy with the date changes and the broken database and inability to know exactly how it works, honest people won't be so compelled.

Does using the larger battery that makes the mini over the weight limit turn on the remote id?

Just wondering how that works.
Remote ID is turned on at ANY weight because of the way the system works, DJI choice. You will put out a remote ID signal with the Mini 4 Pro even at sub 249 weight. You don’t have to… but it will.

Disagree. Most people are honest. The need for Remote ID is because a few are not.
Based solely on comments regarding RID on this forum alone, I think a large percentage would opt out if given a choice. IOW they would never turn the RID switch to ON, and would do so feeling as though they "honestly" do not need it.

The weight threshold for requiring Remote ID only applies to recreational drones. If the drone is under 250g and used under Part 107, it requires Remote ID. Since any drone can be used for commercial purposes under 107, all new drones will have it.
I thought now it matters not even for recreational flying as remote ID is turned on and broadcasting
regardless of weight.If the mini is broadcasting an RID signal it also is implemented the same as the Air and Mavic series.

Note that the new small batteries weight less than the Mini3 Pro small batteries. If you have older batteries from the Mini3 Pro and use them (the small ones) with the Mini 4 Pro it will NOT be under 250 grams.

Based solely on comments regarding RID on this forum alone, I think a large percentage would opt out if given a choice. IOW they would never turn the RID switch to ON, and would do so feeling as though they "honestly" do not need it.
If RID did not broadcast my position to the general public I would not care. I stopped updating firmware to avoid RID for quite a while but then DJI got cruel and added so many cool features I had "no" choice:). Now I just carry a 44mag in a bright green holster with a bandalero full of 7mm bullets. (not serious...) Here in Alaska I can fly all day with nobody near me if I want so RID doesn't affect me all that much but I do chafe at the idea of being "put out there" by some idiots smartphone app.

Note that the new small batteries weight less than the Mini3 Pro small batteries. If you have older batteries from the Mini3 Pro and use them (the small ones) with the Mini 4 Pro it will NOT be under 250 grams.
I have four Mini 3 Pro batteries, and the RC 2 that came with the Air 3, so I went cheap and purchased the $759 Mini 4 kit.
Now I'm trying to purchase individual Mini 4 plus batteries, can't seem to find them?
B&H has the lightweight Mini 4 batteries, but nobody seems to carry the new Plus batteries yet.

EDIT: The batteries are available this morning. They weren't yesterday.

Last edited:
If remote ID is on and broadcasting on a sub 250 grams drone to me it defeats the entire reason of buying a 250 gram drone as a hobby.

Why bother with a small drone when it's doing the same thing it's larger drones are.....broadcasting.

If remote ID is on and broadcasting on a sub 250 grams drone to me it defeats the entire reason of buying a 250 gram drone as a hobby.

Why bother with a small drone when it's doing the same thing it's larger drones are.....broadcasting.
Correct, in the US there is only one advantage and it is registration which is not really an "advantage." Along comes RID and nothing changes.

Sub-250g drones usually only have beneficial advantages in other countries so if you live in the US and you want to travel with it, you may want to first look at a sub-250g drone.

Correct, in the US there is only one advantage and it is registration which is not really an "advantage." Along comes RID and nothing changes.

Sub-250g drones usually only have beneficial advantages in other countries so if you live in the US and you want to travel with it, you may want to first look at a sub-250g drone.
Makes me wish i would have got the Air 3. :)

Do the new standard batteries work with a Mini 3?

I'm curious because I'd like to do some night flying, which up here requires strobes, and I want to stay under 250g. I tried to get the Japanese batteries but apparently DJI doesn't sell them over here. :-(

I do as well. I believe all drones under 250g regardless of their use should not be required to have standard RID. I also believe all drones manufactured prior to 2023 should be exempt from RID. However, it's not my call.....
If you were making the rules, how should drones like the mini 3/4 than can exceed 250g using a standard accessory (like the extended battery) be handled w.r.t. RID?

And no, "since I'm making the rules no RID at all" isn't a fair answer 🙂🙂

Back in my day we would "grandfather" in things that didn't meet new laws and regulations. The FAA is over-stepping their regulatory authority.

Not commenting on the question of grandfathering, what authority do you think the FAA has exceeded? AFAIK, there's no law or regulation that requires government agencies to grandfather in affected people, practices, or property when making regulations.

We may object to them NOT doing this, but i don't think they lack the authority to do just that if they choose to.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Incidentally, every drone is already communicating a data packet to its control station, which anybody with some technical knowledge could intercept and decode. The Remote ID is a specific standard for that data packet, and yes it is readable/decodable by anyone with the appropriate equipment - currently a recent model cellphone and app.
And it's that ability of anyone to easily obtain that information now with no skill or special equipment that has some very upset (I'm not among them).

I agree strongly that the FAA screwed this up by making this information effortlessly available to the general public. It should be only available to air traffic management and law enforcement authorities.

Karen doesn't need to know what's in an RID packet if she's bothered by a drone. She needs to know the phone number of her local police and/or Sheriff's dept.

If you were making the rules, how should drones like the mini 3/4 than can exceed 250g using a standard accessory (like the extended battery) be handled w.r.t. RID?

And no, "since I'm making the rules no RID at all" isn't a fair answer 🙂🙂
I would except the drone by model so the mini 3/4 would be exempt regardless what attachments you hang onto them because a heavy battery or strobes or something else attached to the drone cannot possibly convert the drone into a deadly object. Does that means changing the number to 300g? Maybe but we don't want this number to keep creeping as manufacturers move their goal posts. Mini that comes in at 266g is exempt from RID when used recreational. Similar to what we see today on drone registration and the "failure to enforce."

• Love
Reactions: mobilehomer
And it's that ability of anyone to easily obtain that information now with no skill or special equipment that has some very upset (I'm not among them).

Karen doesn't need to know what's in an RID packet if she's bothered by a drone.
The drone and RC stations were already communicating information, only before RID it was just proprietary to the manufacturer. Anyone who wanted to could have made an app to decode those messages in a similar way to RID, and any Karen could have installed or purchased said app. The fact that no one bothered to before RID suggests it's just not something a lot of people are interested in. Even the post-RID drone scanner apps are not well known and subject to not working very well anyway. Karen still prefers phoning police over using some app to locate a drone pilot and bother them -- we're not that hard to find anyway.

If you are a recreational flyer, and your drone is below the 249 gram limit, then are you required to register your drone on the FAA website?

If the answer to the above question is "no", then how will anyone be able to link the Remote ID information back to you, when the drone is not registered?

Just trying to understand how the RID works if the drone isn't registered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALEXANDRE MARAN GREGOLIN