DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the larger battery, remote id?

David97

Reactions
Does using the larger battery that makes the mini over the weight limit turn on the remote id?

Just wondering how that works.

R.I.D. turns on as soon as the drone turns on and weather you have a payload has no effect BUT if you strap something to the drone that takes it over the weight limit you are now flying a different Drone, and you must follow any guidlines set forth for aircraft above 250g

R.I.D. turns on as soon as the drone turns on and weather you have a payload has no effect BUT if you strap something to the drone that takes it over the weight limit you are now flying a different Drone, and you must follow any guidlines set forth for aircraft above 250g
"whether" not weather. ( I just couldn't resist).

Does using the larger battery that makes the mini over the weight limit turn on the remote id?

Just wondering how that works.
Remote ID is on all the time when powered up and flying in a RID jurisdiction such as the US or Japan.

"whether" not weather. ( I just couldn't resist).
Hi Dale when it comes to drone flying ,i guess whether you do ,or whether you don't, depends a lot on the weather , unless your @Phantomrain.org of course

@Phantomrain.org hi coal, i knew you would appreciate that ,in your case it's the Wetter the Better ,and of course throw in some nice strong wind as well , and don't forget the very important Lightning ,just for good measure

But..250 grams is under the weight limit that requires Remote ID. It should be optional if you want it on or not.

Reactions: QuaiOui
But..250 grams is under the weight limit that requires Remote ID. It should be optional if you want it on or not.
The weight threshold for requiring Remote ID only applies to recreational drones. If the drone is under 250g and used under Part 107, it requires Remote ID. Since any drone can be used for commercial purposes under 107, all new drones will have it.

Reactions: Torque
The weight threshold for requiring Remote ID only applies to recreational drones. If the drone is under 250g and used under Part 107, it requires Remote ID. Since any drone can be used for commercial purposes under 107, all new drones will have it.
It should still be a toggle as most folks fly recreational. Part 107 folks are welcome to turn on Remote ID to be compliant.

It should still be a toggle as most folks fly recreational. Part 107 folks are welcome to turn on Remote ID to be compliant.
FAA rules say RID cannot have a toggle switch for ON and OFF.
FAA rules require all drones manufactured after a certain date (already past) must have RID with limited exceptions.
DJI determined Mini 4 Pro did not fall under one of those exceptions.
All Mini 4 Pro drones will get standard RID based on DJI decision who based on their interpretation of FAA rules.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
FAA rules say RID cannot have a toggle switch for ON and OFF.
FAA rules require all drones manufactured after a certain date (already past) must have RID with limited exceptions.
DJI determined Mini 4 Pro did not fall under one of those exceptions.
All Mini 4 Pro drones will get standard RID based on DJI decision who based on their interpretation of FAA rules.
Thanks for the explanation! I disagree with the FAA then.

Thanks for the explanation! I disagree with the FAA then.
I do as well. I believe all drones under 250g regardless of their use should not be required to have standard RID. I also believe all drones manufactured prior to 2023 should be exempt from RID. However, it's not my call.....

Reactions: Frank Dracman
I do as well. I believe all drones under 250g regardless of their use should not be required to have standard RID. I also believe all drones manufactured prior to 2023 should be exempt from RID. However, it's not my call.....
Back in my day we would "grandfather" in things that didn't meet new laws and regulations. The FAA is over-stepping their regulatory authority.

I'm in the US and have a Mini 3 Pro which I have not updated to include RID. If I get the Mini 4 Pro does that mean any Karen can use an app to get my location while I'm flying? Or are there only certain apps used by law enforcement that can do that?

If it allowed a toggle, the fact is nobody would use it.

I'm in the US and have a Mini 3 Pro which I have not updated to include RID. If I get the Mini 4 Pro does that mean any Karen can use an app to get my location while I'm flying? Or are there only certain apps used by law enforcement that can do that?
I don't know about "Karens" but it means that a Mini 4 Pro is broadcasting the legally required data packet.

Incidentally, every drone is already communicating a data packet to its control station, which anybody with some technical knowledge could intercept and decode. The Remote ID is a specific standard for that data packet, and yes it is readable/decodable by anyone with the appropriate equipment - currently a recent model cellphone and app.

If you are using the extended batteries, you must register the drone. DJI really screwed up here in that they don't very clearly state that the extended plus batteries make the drone over 250 grams, but if you search way way down on the product page, you will see some small notes and asterisks explaining that the plus batteries (45 min flight time) cause the drone to exceed the 250g weight limit. So you will need standard registration if flying it with those batteries, unless you are removing weight some other way.

1695843144932.png

Found here at the literal bottom of the page: DJI Mini 4 Pro - Mini to the Max - DJI

If you are using the extended batteries, you must register the drone. DJI really screwed up here in that they don't very clearly state that the extended plus batteries make the drone over 250 grams, but if you search way way down on the product page, you will see some small notes and asterisks explaining that the plus batteries (45 min flight time) cause the drone to exceed the 250g weight limit. So you will need standard registration if flying it with those batteries, unless you are removing weight some other way.

View attachment 168673

Found here at the literal bottom of the page: DJI Mini 4 Pro - Mini to the Max - DJI
All drones need to be registered unless you have an exception. Anyone who believes they have a good reason to forgo registration (i.e. less than 250g recreational) can check with DJI or this forum if they need further assistance. So it's the other way around and it's not a "duty to inform" since there is no adverse action for registering a drone that doesn't need to be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman