DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID question and question for Canadians

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I think my Mini 4 Pro flown with the smaller batteries will still broadcast RID. Correct? I will be driving through Canada and using the smaller batteries. In the U.S., if I am on a major highway driving through a Nat'l Park I can legally launch my drone, fly straight up and take a picture. With regard to Canada, if I'm on a major highway, driving through a Nat'l Park and toss a drone up 200' to get a good picture, would that be legal? Would flying some short distance over a Nat'l Park from the road be legal? Also, do Canadian Mounties monitor Remote ID?

No, the lighter battery turns RID off as of the last firmware update.

You can literally use the two batteries as an RID switch.

Reactions: twickers14
In the U.S., if I am on a major highway driving through a Nat'l Park I can legally launch my drone, fly straight up and take a picture.
Some of these parks have unmarked preservation areas where that is not true. If the road is in these areas you cannot takeoff. e.g. ...California condor preservation areas. You always need to check when flying anywhere near a national Park.

Hi, I’m not 100% but this is what I believe the rules in Canada are.
1) Drones in Canadian Air Space do not broadcast Remote ID. (Over or under 250g)
2) Drones can’t be flown in National Parks period, even under 250g. You also can not launch from outside the park and fly over the boundary into the park.
3) You can’t fly in BC Provincial Parks but you can launch from out side the park and fly over being respectful to park users and wildlife.

Hope this helps

Some of these parks have unmarked preservation areas where that is not true. If the road is in these areas you cannot takeoff. e.g. ...California condor preservation areas. You always need to check when flying anywhere near a national Park.
that's good advice. I don't even attempt to fly over any Nat'l Park regardless but if I'm in Canada I can envision wanting to fly at least straight up from the highway for a view and picture. Thanks for the reply.

Hi, I’m not 100% but this is what I believe the rules in Canada are.
1) Drones in Canadian Air Space do not broadcast Remote ID. (Over or under 250g)
2) Drones can’t be flown in National Parks period, even under 250g. You also can not launch from outside the park and fly over the boundary into the park.
3) You can’t fly in BC Provincial Parks but you can launch from out side the park and fly over being respectful to park users and wildlife.

Hope this helps
Thanks. That does help. I know that the air above our parks are controlled by the FAA and it doesn't formally forbid folks from flying over parks but it's a nasty grey area so I don't do it. In the U.S. if you are traveling on a major highway with a National Park to both sides, the highway is not within the park itself so you can, at least, launch, go straight up and take a picture with no concern. Do you know if that would be the case with Canadian Nat'l Parks?

Thanks. That does help. I know that the air above our parks are controlled by the FAA and it doesn't formally forbid folks from flying over parks but it's a nasty grey area so I don't do it. In the U.S. if you are traveling on a major highway with a National Park to both sides, the highway is not within the park itself so you can, at least, launch, go straight up and take a picture with no concern. Do you know if that would be the case with Canadian Nat'l Parks?
My understanding in Canada is you cannot launch from within a National Park, nor fly over a National Park even if launched from outside of the park. The Rouge Urban National Park is a few kilometres from where I live and I spoke to one of the park employees one day....no flying allowed.

Is that why you can launch from the Seward highway even though you are in the no drones allowed Chugash state park?

Is that why you can launch from the Seward highway even though you are in the no drones allowed Chugash state park?
Exactly. I do that all the time and have called and spoken with the folks at DNR who oversee the park and they confirmed that it is totally legal to do so. It only leaves a short strip of land and sea to be able to fly over but it means you can get wonderful footage at Beluga Point and of course you can't actually climb out onto Beluga point and launch from there. The large turnouts near Beluga Point and along the highway are not part of the state park, thus entirely legal to launch from. The FAA says nothing about that airspace so you're free to fly over it as long as you don't launch from within it. There is even a portion of Cook Inlet that is in Chugach State Park. You can sift through my videos at https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos and find several examples of flight over Cook Inlet and down along the Seward Hwy.

Reactions: mavic3usa
A little bit late, I'm in Western Canada. Most provincial parks (BC and Alberta for sure - can't speak for other provinces) and National Parks are 100% off limits. I did ask at one of the BC provincial parks and the park ranger told me he was ok with it just don't be a nuisance, respect wildlife of course and he said conservation really isn't around often (they would issue a fine).

Here's some information:

One person being fined (I believe first one - in Banff) and another where they've discussed it.

Anytime I'm in the parks, I just leave my drone at home or in the vehicle.

The Rouge Urban National Park is a few kilometres from where I live and I spoke to one of the park employees one day....no flying allowed.
Interestingly, their web site says "In Canada’s national parks, the take-off and landing of aircraft, including a remotely piloted aircraft system such as a drone, is prohibited. "

It does not say you can't fly over. Not saying that's not prohibited, just noting that by specifically mentioning taking off and landing it implies that flying over from outside is OK.

(I think if you check the Canadian Aviation Regulations there's a minimum height for flying over a park which is higher than the maximum height for a drone, which would mean they would be prohibited. But the way the Rouge Park web site is written seems to imply that you could launch from one of the many roads that criss-cross the park (and are not part of the park) and fly from there.)

I wouldn’t test it :) haha. But! What I can tell you is, in Edmonton, on most parts of the North Saskatchewan River, if you launch and land from a kayak on the river, you’re clear. The National parks, I wouldn’t even chance it. They have the regulation based on bothering wildlife, etc. so launching from outside, you could still be bothering them.

I’ve edited :). I had another friend say similar. I’ve never looked at clarifying though so it’s possible. I’ve launched from outside and flown, I’ll admit that. Not often and I usually take off, quickly do what I want to do then get it back on the ground. I’d just be careful. I’ve never been bothered by anyone. I’m also over 249g.

I’d just keep it very minimal if you chanced it. It’s grey enough that you probably could fly from outside the perimeter to inside.

And! When you’re in the Canadian parks, helicopter tours go by and are much more louder lol.

They have the regulation based on bothering wildlife, etc. so launching from outside, you could still be bothering them.
Well, Rouge National Urban Park is basically farmland, so you have tractors and plows and harvesters doing their thing, as well as lots of trucks using the roads that grid the park. All of the 'stay on the path' signage is about not interfering with working farms rather than not disturbing wildlife.

You could bother wildlife there, sure, if you really tried. But any wildlife giving there has learned to coexist with farming and a city literally across the road (along several borders). So honestly a drone at altitude will be less obtrusive than the gravel trucks and lawnmowers that are literally closer (and quieter than the aircraft taking off and landing at Markham Airport which overfly the park at low altitude because the park begins about 300m from the end of the runway).

Frankly, if we're going to have a new category of national parks, we need to have regulations for them that differ in sensible ways from those designed for wilderness areas.

Well, Rouge National Urban Park is basically farmland, so you have tractors and plows and harvesters doing their thing, as well as lots of trucks using the roads that grid the park. All of the 'stay on the path' signage is about not interfering with working farms rather than not disturbing wildlife.

You could bother wildlife there, sure, if you really tried. But any wildlife giving there has learned to coexist with farming and a city literally across the road (along several borders). So honestly a drone at altitude will be less obtrusive than the gravel trucks and lawnmowers that are literally closer (and quieter than the aircraft taking off and landing at Markham Airport which overfly the park at low altitude because the park begins about 300m from the end of the runway).

Frankly, if we're going to have a new category of national parks, we need to have regulations for them that differ in sensible ways from those designed for wilderness areas.
Interesting thoughts! I’ve never been to that one myself so I don’t know much about that but it makes sense. I mentioned wildlife but as Parks Canada claims on their site: “However, drones can pose risks to visitors, disturb wildlife and lead to negative experiences for other visitors to Jasper National Park. For these reasons, Parks Canada strictly limits the use of drones.”, I feel someone out there really didn’t want drones around. Even the visitors part, I try to be very respectful if I see people around. I’ll even ask at times if it bothers them (where we’re allowed). I’m typically in places in the bush wheee nobody is around though.

Interesting thoughts! I’ve never been to that one myself so I don’t know much about that but it makes sense. I mentioned wildlife but as Parks Canada claims on their site: “However, drones can pose risks to visitors, disturb wildlife and lead to negative experiences for other visitors to Jasper National Park. For these reasons, Parks Canada strictly limits the use of drones.”, I feel someone out there really didn’t want drones around. Even the visitors part, I try to be very respectful if I see people around. I’ll even ask at times if it bothers them (where we’re allowed). I’m typically in places in the bush wheee nobody is around though.
As I mentioned previously, I live only a few kilometers from Rouge Urban Park......before it was created, I used to fly quite a bit in that area. That is why after the park formation I asked one of the park officials while hiking one of the trails about drones......simple answer, no flying. I didn't ask about taking off from a public local roadway.

If you look at a map of that area, the proposed (50 years ago) Pickering Airport lands abut the Rouge Urban lands quite a bit. I do fly in that area as it is either woodland or farmland and dirt roads. One day while flying, a pickup truck pulled up to me on a dead end road, and proceeded to ask me what I was doing.....I said wait a minute I need to land. Net of it all, the individual works for the property management company that "patrols" the proposed airport lands and said I could not fly in the area.

When I asked why he thought so, he said it is "private property".....I said the Pickering roads of which I was on one of them are open to the public. He said I was mistaken.

So, I contacted Transport Canada who sent me to NavCanada, who said the GPS coordinates I sent them did not preclude from flying in that area. Bumped into the property management rep again when not flying, had the NavCanada discussion and he stuck to his position that they are "private roads", although not marked as such. I said I was going to talk to the City of Pickering and a City rep confirmed they are public roadways.

Soooo, when the warm spring weather arrives, I will be back out there and if the property management guy approaches me again, I will give him my side of the research and discussions, and if he wants to press the matter, I will suggest we call a LEO to arbitrate. I have my hobby drone license and the most recent Transport Canada accreditation, and the communications from the assorted affiliated agencies.

I guess there comes a point when I get tired of blind assertions with no supporting evidence. Besides, there next to no vehicles, people or buildings in the area.....just wonderful subject matter for videos and panoramas. Also, the Markham airport is more than 5 kilometers away, and I can hear and see aircraft approaching. I guess I am getting stubborn in my old age.

As I mentioned previously, I live only a few kilometers from Rouge Urban Park......before it was created, I used to fly quite a bit in that area. That is why after the park formation I asked one of the park officials while hiking one of the trails about drones......simple answer, no flying. I didn't ask about taking off from a public local roadway.

If you look at a map of that area, the proposed (50 years ago) Pickering Airport lands abut the Rouge Urban lands quite a bit. I do fly in that area as it is either woodland or farmland and dirt roads. One day while flying, a pickup truck pulled up to me on a dead end road, and proceeded to ask me what I was doing.....I said wait a minute I need to land. Net of it all, the individual works for the property management company that "patrols" the proposed airport lands and said I could not fly in the area.

When I asked why he thought so, he said it is "private property".....I said the Pickering roads of which I was on one of them are open to the public. He said I was mistaken.

So, I contacted Transport Canada who sent me to NavCanada, who said the GPS coordinates I sent them did not preclude from flying in that area. Bumped into the property management rep again when not flying, had the NavCanada discussion and he stuck to his position that they are "private roads", although not marked as such. I said I was going to talk to the City of Pickering and a City rep confirmed they are public roadways.

Soooo, when the warm spring weather arrives, I will be back out there and if the property management guy approaches me again, I will give him my side of the research and discussions, and if he wants to press the matter, I will suggest we call a LEO to arbitrate. I have my hobby drone license and the most recent Transport Canada accreditation, and the communications from the assorted affiliated agencies.

I guess there comes a point when I get tired of blind assertions with no supporting evidence. Besides, there next to no vehicles, people or buildings in the area.....just wonderful subject matter for videos and panoramas. Also, the Markham airport is more than 5 kilometers away, and I can hear and see aircraft approaching. I guess I am getting stubborn in my old age.
lol, no doubt! Sorry I missed earlier that it shows your location in Ontario. Thankfully, I haven't been bothered at all but I've mentioned earlier too, I'm usually hiking way out in the bush. I typically have to take off from my hand or even land in my hand as there's just no safe spots where I am (and sometimes a little pushing it with tree's, etc). You'll have to give us a follow-up on what they say next time lol :).

Also, the Markham airport is more than 5 kilometers away, and I can hear and see aircraft approaching. I guess I am getting stubborn in my old age.
One end of Markham Airport's runway is just under 300m from the boundary with Rouge Park. Planes are flying low over those fields on a regular basis.

Other parts of the park are right next to burgeoning housing developments. (Indeed, there's one housing development that's being opposed by environmentalists and Parks Canada officials because it's planned for a sensitive natural area where the developer is planning on charging a premium because the houses are right beside a national park so those lucky (and rich) people won't ever have neighbours on the other side of their fence.)

It's not what most people think of when they think of "national park". I suspect that it's not what most Parks Canada employees think of when they think of (and set policies for) national parks.

We have a similar situation going on here in America as well. Unfortunately there isn't many people who understand the difference between public and private property. This often lead to big fights that often end up in court but I admit, it's mostly over how much is the property owned privately vs. publicly. However, some people believe the property is private property when the owner is "the government" and they often believe they themselves are the custodians of the property. Just ask them "who are the owners" and they will tell you [a government entity] owns it. When in reality the property is owned by the people...the public as we paid for it and we should be able to use it (within reason). It really really bugs me and in my next life, I'm going to do something about it. :mad:

Bumped into the property management rep again when not flying, had the NavCanada discussion and he stuck to his position that they are "private roads", although not marked as such.

Profile of this mandarin: Power obsessed bully who couldn't get in at the RCMP because of this aspect of his personality, so harasses people for no good reason as private security.

Sadly these types are everywhere.

Profile of this mandarin: Power obsessed bully who couldn't get in at the RCMP because of this aspect of his personality, so harasses people for no good reason as private security.

Sadly these types are everywhere.
I was once taking pictures outside Osgoode Hall (lovely architecture) and I got told by a security guard that I couldn't be there without a permit from the court. So I went next door to the law courts and asked the policeman on duty how I went about applying for a permit, and he just rolled his eyes about the security guard and told me to go ahead and if I was hassled again to fetch him and he'd straighten the guard out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne