DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a potentially dumb question about remote id

buckeye742

Reactions
i have a mavic 2 pro and smart controller that i bought brand new in 2020. it flies fine. i didn't fly at all from 2022 until this month. now i read all about remote id and firmware updates and software levels and how remote id works. so far, so good.

i successfully updated by controller and drone to have the proper software/firmware versions. i can see a valid remoteid string in my controller. i successfully updated the mavic's faa registration in drone zone to show the proper remoteid value. no problems encountered. the mavic files as expected, so the only thing left to verify is that the remoteid is actually being broadcast.

i read that the remote id is broadcast as a wifi network with the name RID-<remoteid>, and that the mavic doesn't broadcast this unless the motors are running. i hovered the mavic about 10' over my driveway and used my iphone 14 to see the list of available wifi networks in my area. i fully expected to see my wifi entry in the list but it never appears.

the faa's declaration of compliance says the mavic's serial number is valid. everything i've read says the mavic should be broadcasting the remote id.

why don't i see it?

My opinion, nothing more you need to do; you've done your part. As a recreational flyer, I would go ahead and fly and enjoy the fun flights and call it a day. Not legal advice.

Reactions: jmaganaski
i have a mavic 2 pro and smart controller that i bought brand new in 2020. it flies fine. i didn't fly at all from 2022 until this month. now i read all about remote id and firmware updates and software levels and how remote id works. so far, so good.

i successfully updated by controller and drone to have the proper software/firmware versions. i can see a valid remoteid string in my controller. i successfully updated the mavic's faa registration in drone zone to show the proper remoteid value. no problems encountered. the mavic files as expected, so the only thing left to verify is that the remoteid is actually being broadcast.

i read that the remote id is broadcast as a wifi network with the name RID-<remoteid>, and that the mavic doesn't broadcast this unless the motors are running. i hovered the mavic about 10' over my driveway and used my iphone 14 to see the list of available wifi networks in my area. i fully expected to see my wifi entry in the list but it never appears.

the faa's declaration of compliance says the mavic's serial number is valid. everything i've read says the mavic should be broadcasting the remote id.

why don't i see it?

Try using one of the RID tracking apps. Drone Scanner does the job on my Android phone. I've heard that there are issues with such apps on IOS devices.

When these thunderstorms end and the tornado watches expire, I'll fire up the Mini 4 Pro and see if the phone detects the drone's wifi signal directly.

Reactions: jmaganaski
Here's the easy way to tell. Will your drone take off? If it will, it is broadcasting RID. If not broadcasting, it will not take off. DJI software switch.

Try using one of the RID tracking apps. Drone Scanner does the job on my Android phone. I've heard that there are issues with such apps on IOS devices.

When these thunderstorms end and the tornado watches expire, I'll fire up the Mini 4 Pro and see if the phone detects the drone's wifi signal directly.
thunderstorms and tornados? sounds like springtime in oklahoma...

i've read the same about tracker apps and ios... it's always something. i'll continue my pursuit of the truth.

Here's the easy way to tell. Will your drone take off? If it will, it is broadcasting RID. If not broadcasting, it will not take off. DJI software switch.
i hear what you're saying. the mavic does indeed fly as it always has. actually, when i first fired it up last week, i got the ERROR 180 code which lead me to the entrance of the remoteid rabbit hole. once i got the error 180 resolved i had the remoteid string in my controller and didn't even know it and the mavic flew without exception.

i was an engineer in a previous life so here's the thing that bothers me; the software levels are correct so the mavic and controller think the remoteid is being broadcast, but what if something physical is preventing the actual signal from being transmitted? i'm just looking for a positive indicator that the signal is actually being emitted and can be received by something else. if i can see that, then i'll be happy.

i hear what you're saying. the mavic does indeed fly as it always has. actually, when i first fired it up last week, i got the ERROR 180 code which lead me to the entrance of the remoteid rabbit hole. once i got the error 180 resolved i had the remoteid string in my controller and didn't even know it and the mavic flew without exception.

i was an engineer in a previous life so here's the thing that bothers me; the software levels are correct so the mavic and controller think the remoteid is being broadcast, but what if something physical is preventing the actual signal from being transmitted? i'm just looking for a positive indicator that the signal is actually being emitted and can be received by something else. if i can see that, then i'll be happy.
Sometimes the apps do not connect, giving the sense that the drone is not broadcasting the info. Some phones do not play nice. Some phones require a setting change.

i hovered the mavic about 10' over my driveway and used my iphone 14 to see the list of available wifi networks in my area. i fully expected to see my wifi entry in the list but it never appears.

I put the Mavic 3 Pro up this evening after the rain had passed and checked to see if the drone was broadcasting a wifi signal that my Android phone could see. It was. The network ID is the RID number of the drone.

The mav 2 is transmitting both RID and your UUID and has been doing so by default since firmware 01.00.0772/9. You used to have the option to switch it off up to firmware 01.00.0670, but DJI crippled the switch. This goes out on the control frequency which Aeroscope picks up. If DJI has guaranteed to you and the FAA that the mav 2 is compliant: it is.

Reactions: Cafguy
Those RID tracking apps for your phone are notoriously inaccurate Keep downloading one until you find the one that sees your drone BUT that doesnt mean it will see it the next time. As stated above if the drone will takeoff your RID is working.

Those RID tracking apps for your phone are notoriously inaccurate Keep downloading one until you find the one that sees your drone BUT that doesnt mean it will see it the next time. As stated above if the drone will takeoff your RID is working.
thanks to all for the advice. i've read enough to think there is potential that this has something to do with ios vs android, with ios being the prime suspect. any recommendation for a decent ios-based tracking app?

Thanks for this thread. As a U.K. based MA2 flyer I have had a “few” problems with Registering my drone for RID with the FAA. It’s all ready now but I shall not know if it works until I step out of my hotel in Florida and fire her up 🤞🤞Next Wednesday!

Thanks for this thread. As a U.K. based MA2 flyer I have had a “few” problems with Registering my drone for RID with the FAA. It’s all ready now but I shall not know if it works until I step out of my hotel in Florida and fire her up 🤞🤞Next Wednesday!
In Naples?

I never see the remote ID on my phone either, but if you have done all the proper steps that's all you can do. As long as you updated the FAA drone zone with your remote ID serial number, I would say you are good to go. I've never seen anything on the remote ID apps and question there reliability and usefulness. I'm sure the FAA & LE has better equipment to scan for remote ID signals.

I never see the remote ID on my phone either, but if you have done all the proper steps that's all you can do. As long as you updated the FAA drone zone with your remote ID serial number, I would say you are good to go. I've never seen anything on the remote ID apps and question there reliability and usefulness. I'm sure the FAA & LE has better equipment to scan for remote ID signals.
i think you are right. i have a private pilot license and a part 107 license, so i'm pretty familiar with the faa and how they work. always a bit of an adventure....

FWIW, since there are so many 'negative results' and doubts about it,

OpenDroneID, DroneScanner, and AirSentinel running on an Android, a Pixel, have all shown the RID 100% for the 4 drones, older Mavic 2s that were updated and a new Air 2S, with native RID, and also a Holy Stone RID unit on an Inspire.

I was pleasantly surprised to see them work perfectly for me, every time, after seeing so many posts of problems with these apps.

I don't think the apps work on an Apple device, something about the way they handle WiFi.

Reactions: SparePartz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J